U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 08:45 PM

18,124 posts, read 23,000,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
is it really being work disabled when you get to choose which reason you want to run with to be considered disabled and go for the one that gives the best odds ?

seems to me more like trying to find a reason rather than having a reason .
Not if you really have both. I have a really screwed up spine, but it didn't meet the criteria. I have a long history of depression and anxiety and it did. That's just the reality of the system.

I'm sure there's a correlation that you could relate to as far as the tax code or SSA rules. Are you, personally, gaming the system with your choices regarding your retirement strategies, or just working within it?

This is where you say touche.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 02:58 AM

71,711 posts, read 71,829,507 times
working within the tax codes or rules is fine , same as if you deserve disability . . but it is when you get in to the fringes where things really don't fit within and a shrewd unethical accountant forces them anyway knowing they don't fit .

that is my point . there are situations over and over that do not qualify but fraudulently they are made to fit via unethical means . like i said we just had over 100 people arrested , doctors ,lawyers and people on the inside who took payoffs to make sure things "fit " .

ever watch judge judy ? how many times does she bag someone suing for money owed from a contracting project or car repairs and they make the mistake of telling her they are on disability ,so she forwards the tape to disability .

if you have not watched the show i can tell you there are to many shows like that to count . they all were approved for disability and all out doing some form of strenuous work .

touche!

Old 10-04-2017, 03:37 PM

5,429 posts, read 3,455,723 times
Quote:

ss-disability has now become the unemployment insurance- extended benefits .

this is why billions had to be taken out of ss retirement benefits and moved in to ss-disability .

far to many use ss disability like they did unemployment insurance and the ranks of those on it swelled big time since 2007 .

not saying who here should or shouldn't be on it , but i am saying it is abused terribly now . ss could be fully funded if not for the disability abuse .
I find this interesting. Why has Social Security Disability now become the unemployment insurance - extended benefits?

And why is SS Disability being used as unemployment insurance? (the two programs would have vastly different qualifications to be rewarded, I would think)

Are you also saying that once unemployment insurance benefits run out for a person, they then try for SS Disability?

Old 10-04-2017, 03:44 PM

71,711 posts, read 71,829,507 times
yep .. since 2008 the amount applying for disability has soared . it can be as high as a 44% increase .

that nonsense circulating social media about the gov't looting social security retirement for billions was because ssdi went broke . oh did they leave that part out of that post lol

https://oig.ssa.gov/newsroom/blog/july17-post

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-04-2017 at 03:56 PM..

Old 10-04-2017, 04:40 PM

4,979 posts, read 3,466,540 times
After my car accident I stupidly kept working but was only able to work part-time. I say stupidly because it was only after 2 years that the doctors finally did a full scan MRI which showed the damage done to my back & I subsequently had surgery. But I'd done more damage by working.

I'd applied for SSDI & eventually hired a lawyer. When the Judge saw my case he just said, How could you have worked so long with your back? He immediately qualified me & it was post dated to the time of the accident. But I was 61 at that time so it was only a year until I would have been eligible for social security. By his approving my claim, I was then eligible for Medicare also, rather then waiting until I was 65.

If there is proof of injury there is a great chance you will be approved. Contact a lawyer.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:51 PM

5,429 posts, read 3,455,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post

I'd applied for SSDI & eventually hired a lawyer.
If there is proof of injury there is a great chance you will be approved. Contact a lawyer.
Did you have to pay the lawyer very much?

Last edited by matisse12; 10-04-2017 at 05:55 PM..

Old 10-04-2017, 05:42 PM

4,979 posts, read 3,466,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Did you have to pay the lawyer very much?
It's as said before. They're only entitled to a certain percentage, not to exceed x # of $'s. There are laws in place so they can't take too much, which is why they won't take the case unless it's a sure thing. They got paid directly by social security before I received my check.

The consultation is free.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:13 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,175,019 times
The lawyers only get paid if they win your case and then they receive a percentage of the back payment that is then due if you won.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
working within the tax codes or rules is fine , same as if you deserve disability . . but it is when you get in to the fringes where things really don't fit within and a shrewd unethical accountant forces them anyway knowing they don't fit .

that is my point . there are situations over and over that do not qualify but fraudulently they are made to fit via unethical means . like i said we just had over 100 people arrested , doctors ,lawyers and people on the inside who took payoffs to make sure things "fit " .

ever watch judge judy ? how many times does she bag someone suing for money owed from a contracting project or car repairs and they make the mistake of telling her they are on disability ,so she forwards the tape to disability .

if you have not watched the show i can tell you there are to many shows like that to count . they all were approved for disability and all out doing some form of strenuous work .

touche!
My problem with your responses is that you immediately assumed people were trying to game the system and do something fraudulent.

Old 10-04-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
After my car accident I stupidly kept working but was only able to work part-time. I say stupidly because it was only after 2 years that the doctors finally did a full scan MRI which showed the damage done to my back & I subsequently had surgery. But I'd done more damage by working.

I'd applied for SSDI & eventually hired a lawyer. When the Judge saw my case he just said, How could you have worked so long with your back? He immediately qualified me & it was post dated to the time of the accident. But I was 61 at that time so it was only a year until I would have been eligible for social security. By his approving my claim, I was then eligible for Medicare also, rather then waiting until I was 65.

What went wrong with my SSDI case, is that I didn't know that I should apply for SSDI immediately. I first used up my workers comp, then state disability, before I finally filed for SSDI. By the time I got a hearing, my work credits were too far in the past to qualify me for SSDI. So, even though I was found to be disabled, I could only qualify for SSI, which would pay a fraction of the amount of SSDI.

And the only thing I did wrong that caused that - was waiting to file the SSDI claim.

Everyone agreed I was disabled from the same date, including SSA, the state and workers comp. But, the SSA system doesn't allow any flexibility for people who don't know they should file immediately.

Now, if I had known I should file immediately, would I have "gamed the system"?

The system is a disaster. But, it certainly is not easy to get disability. You have to have a personal physician and psychiatrist, etc., willing to put their career on the line saying you're disabled. You then are scrutinized by SSA's doctors whose job it is to find a way to deny you. So you have to convince them, too.

Then, you have to convince a judge with all of the medical records and reports by all of these doctors who are putting their careers on the line, were they to lie - or they are reports from the professionals hired by the SSA who are doing their best to prove you are not disabled.

And, you can't have been working a full-time job or earning with "substantial gainful employment" for usually several years prior to the hearing. Why would anyone put themselves through this, in order to live below the poverty line?

The idea that this is the fat life is so ludicrous it's astonishing that any educated or otherwise rational person would ever think that it was the goal of shysters everywhere. Sheesh, it would be a lot more lucrative to grow pot in a closet and make money selling it, than try to deal with getting SSDI or SSI.

Just shaking my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or