Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 08:04 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,159 times

Advertisements

The title of this thread is misleading.

Normally you apply for unemployment after getting fired, not SSDI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 08:05 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
what are you posting that for ? tax evasion is criminal . i said legally used tools and laws to reduce your taxes on money you earned ., not tax fraud , not tax evasion . those are crimes ...

it is a simple issue . saving more of ones income earned legally has nothing to do with putting in insurance claims and is not apples to apples . .
Well, what are you posting for? This is a thread about someone wanting information on applying for SSDI. How are you being helpful here? It seems to me your only reason for being here is to give people here a hard time. So, why are you posting here? That's the real question.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:07 AM

106,557 posts, read 108,696,306 times
disability abuse is a big important concern of all of us . it is coming right out of our retirement benefit fund . the fact is someone else raised the concern that BASED ON THE INFORMATION PROVIDED HERE , it sounds kind of fuzzy . that is an opinion we are entitled to have . we can only have an opinion based on what the op posted. we can't base it on what they did not post .

it certainly did raise a few eyebrows here . i saw no one say she was not entitled or gaming the system . we don't have enough info to know but it sure did raise a few questions based on what was posted .

Old 10-05-2017, 08:11 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
But, you are assuming that people who want to collect on their insurance, are somehow bad people or must be doing something fraudulent.

Your attitude is apparent, to me, and represents a prevalent attitude, unfortunately, in that there is an assumption that people who receive SSDI probably don't deserve it. And those who want to believe it will always justify it, from my experience.

It's a fact that SSDI applications rise during recessions.
The "great recession" saw a skyrocket of applications. It didn't go unnoticed though as Congress questioned SSA about it. Here's their response.

https://oig.ssa.gov/newsroom/blog/july17-post

Old 10-05-2017, 08:29 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skycaller23 View Post
It's a fact that SSDI applications rise during recessions.
The "great recession" saw a skyrocket of applications. It didn't go unnoticed though as Congress questioned SSA about it. Here's their response.

https://oig.ssa.gov/newsroom/blog/july17-post
Nice try. This is not about fraud. There is nothing in this article that says anything about anyone being approved for SSDI who did not legally deserve it.

And it says that the number of approved applications actually declined by about 1 percent.

This article says that the increase in applications in this article was based on 10 states, including CA (a huge state) and the increase in applications in those 10 states was a mere 2 or 3 percent compared to the national number of applications.

The article goes on to say that they could find no correlation between the unemployment rate increase - and the minor increase in applications, mentioning the fact that there are many more baby boomers now, and that may be the explanation for any increase in applications.

So, some congressman made some big hoopla about how fraud MIGHT cause the SSA a ton of money, a study was done, and they were unable to prove that anyone is getting SSDI fraudulently as a back-up for unemployment, nor that the 2 - 3 percent increase in applications in 10 states during the recession had anything to do with the recession, or that the SSA isn't being vigilant in preventing fraud.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:32 AM

all i know is billions were taken from social security retirement and redeployed to ssdi because the jump in claims since 2007 was mind blowing and the disability fund was emptied .

Old 10-05-2017, 10:36 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
NMSFM - people who pay taxes take advantage of every loophole and feel perfectly within their rights to do so - they don't consider it to be "gaming" in any way. It is really only a difference in perspective that they try to say someone in your situation is trying to game her way into something. You have followed the rules and jumped through the hoops - so just keep living your life as best you are able.
Quote:
keeping more of your income you earned, legally through legal tax reduction , is different from taking money that wasn't earned by you if you want to get down to the differences .

you may have paid in to various social programs as we all have , via our income , and never take part in any of these social programs , but it is not the same as keeping more of your earned income .

there is a difference and you can't compare the two .
No, it's not. Most people on disability HAVE paid income tax at some time and certainly pay sales tax and other taxes. And by some's definition, deduction of mortgage interest can be considered a social program...along with other typically middle and upper class deductions.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:43 AM

i think you first need to understand how ssdi is funded . it is not part of welfare as your statement would indicate you think it is .

we all paid in to an insurance fund for ssdi . it is paid for with fica dollars not general taxes . . fica covers retirement benefits ,survivor benefits and ssdi .

it will never be the same as reducing taxes to keep what you earned . they are as unrelated as you can get .

tax deductions are not welfare or insurance no matter how you try to connect the dots .

keeping more of what you earned is not the same as taking money away from others because you kept more of what was yours so no they are not welfare .

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-05-2017 at 11:35 AM..

Old 10-05-2017, 12:10 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
Quote:
all i know is billions were taken from social security retirement and redeployed to ssdi because the jump in claims since 2007 was mind blowing and the disability fund was emptied .
And here’s a suggested reason for that. It has nothing to do with fraud. I think there’s also the possibility that in a very tight job market, those who have disabilities are not going to readily be hired at a new job after they were laid off from a prior job that may have been willing to overlook their disability.

Disabled workers: America's hidden unemployment problem - Jun. 1, 2011

Old 10-05-2017, 12:26 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,630,789 times
I would say, go a specialized attorney FIRST. They will know if you have a case or not. After despairing of ever finding a job I could physically handle, in desperation I went to a "as seen on TV" (LOL) disability lawyer. They took my case immediately, based on my years of medical records. I had to do zilch. They did it all.

Two months later, I got an approval letter from SS. No judge, no hearing, no doctor exams. Payment was backdated to when my job ended (18 months before). I have never been so pleasantly shocked by a gov't entity.

But while in the attorney's waiting room, I heard the receptionist take a few calls and said the same to all of them: "Do you have medical records for your problem?" NO? Forget filing a claim.

Another example is a guy here who used to work at a paper mill, handling the heavy, huge rolls of paper. He got disability based on the fact that they wanted to get rid of him due to age, as he couldn't handle the physical work anymore. He doesn't LOOK disabled, but he couldn't do THAT job anymore. His company got and paid for the lawyer.

But I am sure in both our cases, the fact that we were 61 and close to SS age anyway, was helpful in getting approved. At that age, they don't expect you to transition to some desk job you have no experience for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement