Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 07:15 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
I'm interested in knowing what others do who have RMD's but do not need these funds for living expenses.

Some of my friends use this money for traveling, but I'm not really interested in traveling. Another friend puts his back into taxable mutual funds but he is already financially comfortable.

I guess, my feeling is, not knowing how many "good" years we have left, we should live it up a little and loosen up with our tight grip on our money.
Live it up a little, then as noted reinvest what you don't "live it up " with.

When my father faced this, he bought an annuity with some ( I don't care for annuities, but....), reinvested some and *gave me* a little ( NOT a hint to you to give me some, it wasn't much that he gave me, but it bought new tires and breaks on my vehicle). ( though if you have children you could * give* them some for an investment account for them, or help pay off student loans etc).you can also gift to favorite charity or PBS station.

But first, if you have been tight with your funds, ahem, I mean *frugal*, Live It Up a little first.
Take the vaaction you always,wanted, remodel your kitchen or bath, or just enjoy yourselves, splurge a little on restaurants out, a little shopping spree, invest in a new hobby you've always wanted to try.

Enjoy yourselves, if you can hold your own without the extra funds, enjoy It!

( of course in case medical issues show up in the future the prudent thing would be to invest for medical bills NOT covered by insurance. )

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 07:22 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Seems weird to treat it as "found money" and to "live it up" with it. You likely were doing calculations based on that money so to just spend more than you're budgeting seems unwise. If you weren't living it up before RMDs then why start when they do? Keep to your budget and reinvest whatever you don't need, hopefully getting a similar return as before.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:34 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Nope, invest it in crazy wild stocks and make the grandchildren rich.
I'd suggest Cobalt miners.

Last edited by Crashj007; 10-02-2017 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: add suggestion

Old 10-02-2017, 07:35 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,048,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Seems weird to treat it as "found money" and to "live it up" with it. You likely were doing calculations based on that money so to just spend more than you're budgeting seems unwise. If you weren't living it up before RMDs then why start when they do? Keep to your budget and reinvest whatever you don't need, hopefully getting a similar return as before.
Well, I do want to treat it as found money. Our SS and pensions are more than enough to cover our living expenses and it would be nice to do something different with this "extra" money.

I have Vanguard make an automatic transfer into a taxable fund and with my other account at Rowe Price, I've put the money into granddaughter's college fund. This year we remodeled our bathrooms.

I like the idea of paying off our kids student loans. I'm also thinking it would be nice to purchase a vacation place, convenient to the whole family, where we could have family gatherings, hubby and I could spend part of the year there, and something to pass on to our 2 adult kids when we are gone. The yearly RMD's would cover the mortgage.

As I said in my OP, not knowing how many "good" years we have left, perhaps it is time to live it up a little. When I said that we live below our means---live frugally--I don't mean that we deprive ourselves. We just don't have expensive tastes. Also we live in a low cost area with relatively inexpensive golf, skiiing, etc.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:55 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Well, I do want to treat it as found money. Our SS and pensions are more than enough to cover our living expenses and it would be nice to do something different with this "extra" money.

I have Vanguard make an automatic transfer into a taxable fund and with my other account at Rowe Price, I've put the money into granddaughter's college fund. This year we remodeled our bathrooms.

I like the idea of paying off our kids student loans. I'm also thinking it would be nice to purchase a vacation place, convenient to the whole family, where we could have family gatherings, hubby and I could spend part of the year there, and something to pass on to our 2 adult kids when we are gone. The yearly RMD's would cover the mortgage.

As I said in my OP, not knowing how many "good" years we have left, perhaps it is time to live it up a little. When I said that we live below our means---live frugally--I don't mean that we deprive ourselves. We just don't have expensive tastes. Also we live in a low cost area with relatively inexpensive golf, skiiing, etc.

Okay...if this "realization" happens to have coincided with your RMDs starting then good for you. Why weren't you doing this stuff before? Did something else happen to change your perspective? I guess you'd already pretty much made up your mind before you even posted this?

Old 10-02-2017, 08:21 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,583 times
I am fine with leaving a lot to charity. However, that would probably amount to a lot more money if I donate later after I shuffle off this mortal coil. Until then, I will probably spend a reasonable amount to enjoy life while I can. Better to donate the rest after it grows some more ... probably more than it would in the hands of whoever would get it now.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:49 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Quote:

OP, I say go for It!

( or you COULD give some to me )

Old 10-03-2017, 01:02 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
With the stock market up more than 200% since 2008, of course some of it feels like found money.

Buy a QLAC to the maximum permitted (to avoid income tax on the distribution), then invest in after-tax accounts or else just spend it.

QLAC: qualified life annuity contract.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:53 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
I'm interested in knowing what others do who have RMD's but do not need these funds for living expenses.

Some of my friends use this money for traveling, but I'm not really interested in traveling. Another friend puts his back into taxable mutual funds but he is already financially comfortable.

I guess, my feeling is, not knowing how many "good" years we have left, we should live it up a little and loosen up with our tight grip on our money.
That's what I plan on doing, I guess. Maybe use it to keep the home nice/renovate as needed.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:22 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,937,011 times
If one of your goals is to leave a legacy to your kids and/or grandkids, then use some of the RMD proceeds to purchase life insurance. They will receive a larger legacy and it will be tax free for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement