U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 06:08 PM

71,763 posts, read 71,853,273 times

Advertisements

I grumble every week when we have her appointments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 06:26 PM

10,138 posts, read 12,398,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
f-plans are different prices in every state . an f-plan in ny is 289 a month that is 3468.00 a year . but we get no increase by age and we require no medical under writing to switch plans unlike other states .

we pay 1100.00 a year each for an f-plan with a 2k deductible but out of the 1100 my f-plan has silver sneakers so they are paying my 480 a year gym membership. it is a crazy bargain . we run tops about 300-400 a year in deductibles .
My wife and I have the Plan G with her monthly premium at $127.70 while my premium is $139.54.

The only thing we ever pay for is the Medicare deductible which is $183.00 each for the year and we are done paying for anything except pharmacy.

The only difference between Plan F and G is Plan F pays for the $183.00 deductible but last time I checked, I shop every year, the increase in Plan F premium was more than $183.00 for the year so it made no sense to get it.

Also under Plan G ou have skilled nursing care
Skilled Nursing Facility Care

Quote:
Original Medicare covers skilled nursing facility care for up to 20 days]if you have been in a hospital for at least three days and enter a Medicare-approved facility within 30 days of your hospital discharge.

With Plan G, you are covered for up to 100 days. Here’s how it works:

Days 1 to 20 – Original Medicare covers all approved amounts
Days 21 to 100 – Medicare covers all costs except $161 per day (Plan G covers that $161 per day)
Another plus for Plan F and G is up to $50,000 overseas care of which you pay 20%. Not huge but it should at least get you home from that cruise you tripped and broke your leg on.

Old 10-02-2017, 06:48 PM

549 posts, read 253,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Nobody mentioned dental as a potential money pit. That can be costly..

I have a friend who, together with her husband, spent over $10,000 in dental expenses in one year. They are in late 70's/early 80's and want to keep their teeth.

Our dentist offers a slight discount for paying in cash and we work hard to keep our teeth in good shape so it hasn't been too bad.

My husband did something recently that I wouldn't have had the nerve to do. Our dentist told him he needed two crowns replaced. He asked if they offered a two-for-one deal and got a sizeable discount.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:22 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,261,865 times
There is also the cost of hearing aids.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:42 PM

549 posts, read 253,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

Not everyone is lucky enough to have a 10 acre lot. Hopefully it'll just be for a year
Well, the year is up and we were just saying that it's nice to have someone else doing the cutting around the house and wondering if we should renew for next year. The 10 acre lot is a farmette----we have a lot of routine work to do and the grass cutting is one task we don't miss. I enjoy mowing the pastures as that's easy mowing -- I just get on the mower and go---but mowing around the house is more tedious with all the trees, flower beds, etc.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:47 AM

6,353 posts, read 5,167,603 times
Quote:
I keep reading on this forum about future medical expenses. For example, from another thread:

Sure, nursing home and inhome care, but "medical" expenses? Like what? Mrs5150 and I have Medicare and a CalPers supplement and pay $0 regardless of what befalls us. Same for my retired friends who have the plan F supplement.

Are these medical expenses the result of going cheap with one's supplements? Have I missed something?
Medicare plus CalPers supplement puts you in the top 2% of retirees for coverage. CalPers is the Mercedes-Benz of pension funds.

Most people over 65 have Medicare plus an unreliable supplement. I have a good supplement, but in the high cost area where I live, none of the good doctors take Medicare, so I have to decide whether to pay 100% out of pocket or see a not-so-good doctor.

Plus long-term care, modifications to home, etc.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:23 AM

so far in the years my wife has had medicare we hit one doctor who did not take medicare and we cold called him . it has not been an issue for us so far .

i don't really think you will find a not so good supplement . i see that only in advantage plans which are like buying an hmo .supplements seem to be pretty straight forward in what they pay which is anything medicare covers -period .

Old 10-03-2017, 11:29 AM

7,581 posts, read 2,236,332 times
Quote:
I keep reading on this forum about future medical expenses. For example, from another thread:

Sure, nursing home and inhome care, but "medical" expenses? Like what? Mrs5150 and I have Medicare and a CalPers supplement and pay $0 regardless of what befalls us. Same for my retired friends who have the plan F supplement.

Are these medical expenses the result of going cheap with one's supplements? Have I missed something?
It's for people who are planning to be in such horrific health mentally and physically that they expect 100% to be unable to care for themselves. So they are saving to pay someone to do it for them.

Or you could just take care of your health now. Shrug.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:15 PM

8,407 posts, read 9,154,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
It's for people who are planning to be in such horrific health mentally and physically that they expect 100% to be unable to care for themselves. So they are saving to pay someone to do it for them.

Or you could just take care of your health now. Shrug
I couldn't agree more, but for some it is too late. I worked with people who couldn't care for themselves. I asked why and got life histories. 95% of the time it was lifestyle choices dating back 30 years or more. Smoking is stupid, BTW.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:54 PM

Don't forget dental insurance rarely covers implants which can be very expensive . Most dentists use them today instead of ruining good teeth grinding them down for bridges.

Not only did I spend 25k on implants seven years ago but I rejected some and had to have more put in last year ?.

My wife had her teeth capped 15 years ago . Now bacteria worked its way underneath the caps and they have to be redone . Also not covered by insurance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or