U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 02:40 PM

549 posts, read 254,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
It's for people who are planning to be in such horrific health mentally and physically that they expect 100% to be unable to care for themselves. So they are saving to pay someone to do it for them.

Or you could just take care of your health now. Shrug.
I don't think that taking excellent care of one's health can prevent Alzheimer's which would require 100% total care at some point.

While we should all do the best we can, we should be mindful of the reality that some 25% if people over 80 will develop some form of dementia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2017, 05:20 PM

5,431 posts, read 3,458,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post

we don't use an advantage plan but we do have medicare and a high deductible f-plan with a 2000 deductible .
. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post

We have Medicare and comprehensive plan f supplemental insurance. My wife has significant drug expenses that are not covered. Eyeglasses and dental are not covered. We average $20-30k per year for insurance and uncovered expenses. LTC, hearing aids and other expenses will eventually take a bigger toll.
Do you two have the F-plan with AARP's UnitedHealthCare policy, if you care to say?

If you do not care to say, that's fine too.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:49 PM

8,407 posts, read 9,157,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
I don't think that taking excellent care of one's health can prevent Alzheimer's which would require 100% total care at some point.

While we should all do the best we can, we should be mindful of the reality that some 25% if people over 80 will develop some form of dementia.
I disagree, it has been proven that lifestyle choices can and do prevent or lesson the effects of Alzheimer's. Google it!

Old 10-03-2017, 06:15 PM

549 posts, read 254,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I disagree, it has been proven that lifestyle choices can and do prevent or lesson the effects of Alzheimer's. Google it!
We don't totally disagree. However I have known several very mentally and physically active people who developed dementia.

My point is that there are no guarantees that any of us won't require total care at some point in the future and I think it is wise to have funds set aside for that. Unless one was wise enough to purchase LTC insurance at an age when the cost of premiums was reasonable.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:32 PM

21,543 posts, read 44,068,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Quote:
we don't use an advantage plan but we do have medicare and a high deductible f-plan with a 2000 deductible .
Do you two have the F-plan with AARP's UnitedHealthCare policy, if you care to say?
Mathjak is in NY State - and has a high-deductible F with Humana - not to be confused with the regular Medigap F. AARP UHC does not offer an HD-F in his area. HD-F functions just like an F, except he is responsible for first $2,200 in 20% copays. Thereafter, plan pays 100%. HD-F cost for him in NY is $93/mo. (which includes Silver Sneakers) v. $249/mo. NY has very high insurance rates. He/wife are healthy and save money with the hd-F. Per upthread, he only incurred $300-$400 in copays. $400+$1,100 premium=$1,500 v. $3,000 for regular Medigap F - take off the Silver Sneakers membership and the numbers get even better.

If you are just now enrolling in a Medigap, consider a Medigap G - many are switching to G - this thread explains why.

Should I move from F supplement to G?

This might also interest you:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/43835454-post8.html

AARP UHC Medigaps function very well. No one here complains about UHC Medigaps - not to be confused with UCH Advantage plans which can perform very differently.

Further, UHC Medigaps are community-rated in most states (except FL where UHC uses issue-age pricing - possibly one or two others) which, when you get older limits increases on premiums, unlike other carriers most of which use attained-age pricing.

Pricing explained, here:

https://www.medicare.gov/find-a-plan...-policies.aspx

Attained-age pricing is cheaper in the beginning, but costly as you age - unless you are NY, CT, CA, OR, MO - which allow guaranteed issue annually or anytime, depending on the state - so you can switch to a cheaper policy without health underwriting.

Otherwise, whatever you choose now, you may be stuck with if you develop health problems. Only other option, then, to reduce costs, is to enroll in an Advantage plan. Advantage plans do not underwrite on health - except in cases of ESRD.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 10-03-2017 at 07:51 PM..

Old 10-04-2017, 12:20 AM

6,353 posts, read 5,168,799 times
Quote:
my buddy at work used to brag to me about his low cost advantage plan .

he had so much surgery and very little in bills .

that was until his wife got breast cancer . the chemo had a 4500.00 deductible . it started the end of the year and it ran in to the next so he had almost 10k in deductibles .

then her knees gave out and she could not walk anymore and has been confined to a nursing home going on a year now at a cost of 120k a year .

nothing is ever a problem until it is a problem .
She is confined to a nursing home just because she can't walk? I've never heard of that.

Old 10-04-2017, 12:25 AM

6,353 posts, read 5,168,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Ronald Reagan?

C'mon, you know perfectly well that there are some health outcomes you don't control.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:06 AM

71,769 posts, read 71,875,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

If you do not care to say, that's fine too.
i use a high deductible f-plan from humana

Old 10-04-2017, 02:07 AM

71,769 posts, read 71,875,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
She is confined to a nursing home just because she can't walk? I've never heard of that.
she can not go to the bathroom or move her legs , get dressed anymore . she just about lost all use of her legs . but at her age and health the chances of kness replacements taking are slim and very painful with intense rehab and at this point she has no muscle tone . she is confined to a wheel chair and can't be cared for by her 80 year old husband .

Old 10-04-2017, 05:41 AM

2,879 posts, read 1,409,584 times
Quote:
my buddy at work used to brag to me about his low cost advantage plan .

he had so much surgery and very little in bills .

that was until his wife got breast cancer . the chemo had a 4500.00 deductible . it started the end of the year and it ran in to the next so he had almost 10k in deductibles .

then her knees gave out and she could not walk anymore and has been confined to a nursing home going on a year now at a cost of 120k a year .

nothing is ever a problem until it is a problem .
Can't you can say that about everything in life?

I leave my house and it burns down. didn't expect that until it happens.
Walk out the door and fall of the platform waiting for the F train.

folks went to a country music concert and ended up getting mowed down. I'm sure that wasn't a problem until it happened.

So what? do we then work until we're dead to ensure every possible scenario is covered?

We just had another thread about elder guardianship and folks stealing old folks savings and making them a ward of the state. Add another thing to try to insure against.

My Aunt just had her 100th birthday last year, entire family took the old gal to DISNEYWORLD, had a blast. she lives at home with my cousins her daughters lol ages 77 and 73. not one long term care insurance policy amongst them (I showed them this thread)

My pop. died at 87 not one day in the hospital. NYC cop and vet. Watched the Yankees on tv, had a steak and a Jack Daniels straight for dinner. went upstairs and died peacefully in his sleep.

So for every "tragedy" waiting to happen there probably an equal number of seniors who are quietly rolling along.

So what? do we then work until we're dead to ensure every possible scenario is covered?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or