U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 08:18 AM

482 posts, read 324,201 times

Advertisements

Not surgery (I'm 63 and have never had any surgeries; would like to keep it that way for as long as possible!), but I'm considering some fillers. I have a retired friend who is seriously considering a tummy tuck. She has plenty of $$ and if it makes her feel better, why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 08:48 AM

318 posts, read 343,029 times
I have a friend who's Mom had a facelift by a top rated surgeon in Rio.

She had the entire thing done, stitches removes and came back to the US... BUT there is a really weird ripple by her mouth and she can't afford to go back and have it fixed.

You get what you pay for. I would not consider having surgery in Mexico or South America.

Recovery is not a snap to any other the procedures - keep in mind that you don't heal as fast when you are in your 60s as you did in your 40s.

Old 10-04-2017, 09:28 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,442,833 times
I've had plastic surgery several times in my life, having been in the entertainment industry most of my life. Most recent: trip to Costa Rica last year for lipo, thigh lift, face/eye lift. I am very pleased with the results, the clinic, the care, etc. Mexico - never ! I live 20 minutes from Juarez and have seen the results of their work - no.

There are numerous surgery review boards where you can research the various facilities in Costa Rica. The prices: about 1/3 of that in the USA. Stitches removal: most are disolvable. Those that are not, my local physician removed them and billed medicare.

For me, it's extremely depressing to have sagging parts. Everyone is different.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:52 AM

6,203 posts, read 2,865,717 times
If the physician considers my health to be up for it,then indeed it's worth it.

If your the type that assumes paying 4x more somehow assures a better outcome...continue being misguided.

Not mexico though....
Readup on the scams there and safety...

Agree Costa Rica is more stable

Old 10-04-2017, 11:25 AM

86 posts, read 56,782 times
I am not one to ever say never but at this point in my life, although relatively young (60 years old), I would probably NOT do it. I look fairly young for my age due to good genetics but at this point, I am probably willing to let nature take it's course.

I live in Miami where many, many women (and men) have had obvious plastic surgery. A job well done is not noticeable for the most part, other than the person appears "fresher", but a bad job gives one a very strange and obviously plastic surgery appearance.

I did have a tummy tuck when I was in my 30's after 2 sections and am very pleased with the outcome, however, I don't know that I would be willing to undergo the pain of that or any procedure electively again.

At this point, I think any surgery I have would have to be medically necessary.

Old 10-04-2017, 11:45 AM

899 posts, read 478,161 times
Wow. People don't realize the risk involved in surgery. Knowing what I know now, I would never take the risk for something cosmetic.

I had a mastectomy immediately followed by breast reconstruction in April. I had a specialized micro plastic surgeon perform the surgery at John's Hopkins. Excellent reputation. Still I had incisions that split open and a blood infection. In all, four hospitalizations, 3 surgeries. In hindsight, I should have gone flat. Not the doc's fault, not the hospital's fault. It just something that can happen.

I found out later that a good bulk of his patients are repair jobs from...you guessed it...plastic surgery done in South America.

Recovery from surgery can be painful and exhausting. I did not bounce back like I would have 10 years ago. I wonder if older patients take that into account.

They run the risk of a minor cosmetic surgery changing their lives forever.

Old 10-04-2017, 01:27 PM

13,888 posts, read 25,323,560 times
I would do it. PS is the norm especially for people living in Brazil and it's a common HS graduation gift. What is outrageously expensive in the US is much more reasonable in other countries. I know people who have gone to Brazil, Mexico, and Costa Rica for plastics and dental work and they have been very pleased.

Old 10-04-2017, 03:51 PM

13,043 posts, read 15,393,961 times
The eyelid surgery is done ALL the time and very often insurance will pay for it. I would do the group thing if I researched it and it were a reputable surgeon/facility. I'd feel more comfortable doing it in the U.S., but then I've never lived anywhere else.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:52 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,612,363 times
I'D do it but only because I've lost 50 pounds,and on my way to losing more.

THAT leads some "baggage" I'd soon as not have done away with.

So nip and tick, here I come!

I don't know if I'd do it out if the USA though. Kinda scary if something goes wrong, can't just jump in the car to the docs office.

But otherwise I'm all for it, especially if it makes one feel better about themselves.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:00 PM

255 posts, read 476,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogmom13 View Post
Not surgery (I'm 63 and have never had any surgeries; would like to keep it that way for as long as possible!), but I'm considering some fillers. I have a retired friend who is seriously considering a tummy tuck. She has plenty of $$ and if it makes her feel better, why not?
I've been seriously considering fillers myself (will be 63 this month) until I read that it's possible to go BLIND after getting fillers in the face! I've read countless lists of possible side affects but I've Never heard about the danger of blindness until recently! Here's a link to an article just published today in a UK "boulevard" paper.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/living/39684...surgeon-warns/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or