Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2017, 05:40 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,645,388 times

Advertisements

I had some work done 20 years ago at Johns Hopkins and would not have a problem doing it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2017, 11:30 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
I am in my late 50s. I have had temporary non invasive procedures - Botox and fillers, done for special occasions.

When I enter my 60s, I am going to explore other options that are permeant.

I still work, and looking good is important to what I do. Not just "good" - "young".

This is very much a personal choice. I do not condemn people who choose not to do this, but please do no judge those of us who do.

Aging means different things to different people.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:12 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
I'm 62 and often taken for much younger. However a plastic surgeon could probably look at me and guess my age a little better. While I have few wrinkles, I do have the beginning of those awful "jowls" and my neck could use some tightening. I would do a mini face lift with neck tightening in a minute if $$$ wasn't an issue even though I'm single and plan to stay that way. I'm sure none of us want to look old but at some point all the plastic surgery in the world isn't going to stop the aging process. I just want to slow it down a bit. :-)

Old 10-05-2017, 12:57 PM

11,055 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungalowdweller View Post
I've been seriously considering fillers myself (will be 63 this month) until I read that it's possible to go BLIND after getting fillers in the face! I've read countless lists of possible side affects but I've Never heard about the danger of blindness until recently! Here's a link to an article just published today in a UK "boulevard" paper.

www.thesun.co.uk/living/3968415/cosmetic-fillers-injected-anywhere-in-your-face-could-leave-you-blind-top-plastic-surgeon-warns/

What a horrible story! Even though I'm pro-plastic surgery, I would NOT get these injections now.

Mainly---they are only temporary. Why spend all that money for a temporary result? I did get them way back when, but saw no results. Same with Botox. If you already have deeply-etched forehead or frown lines, nothing is going to erase them except some stretching/tightening. Even then, it won't be total erasure. The idea of injections is scary, now in hind-sight.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:41 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,230 times
My USA, board certified plastic surgeon that did several 'procedures' on me, will NOT use botox. Botox is not a filler: it is botulism and paralyzes muscles. Fillers are entirely different: expensive and only last 6 months - worthless in my opinion. As is the cold- freezing procedure alleging to reduce fat. Research ! Research ! Research !

Old 10-05-2017, 11:02 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
I am unlikely to ever do this. Not willing to take on risk (infection, anesthesia, potential for bad outcome) for something that is not medically-needed.
Same. Talk about things that aren't worth death or suffering.

To be fair though, I think, having been on the plain side even when I was in my physical prime, less of my identity and ability to operate in the world is tied up in my looks. I imagine aging is more traumatic for people who are used to the perks of being pretty.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:30 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,530,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
To be fair though, I think, having been on the plain side even when I was in my physical prime, less of my identity and ability to operate in the world is tied up in my looks. I imagine aging is more traumatic for people who are used to the perks of being pretty.
I was gorgeous well into my early 50s. In my late 60s now, I've not aged well at all in terms of physical appearance. I've found that liberating, almost exhilarating. My own experience was that being "pretty" wasn't all that and a bag of chips.
I'm not arguing with you though, I might be an outlier.

Old 10-05-2017, 11:43 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,860,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I was gorgeous well into my early 50s. In my late 60s now, I've not aged well at all in terms of physical appearance. I've found that liberating, almost exhilarating. My own experience was that being "pretty" wasn't all that and a bag of chips.
I'm not arguing with you though, I might be an outlier.
You probably are, but it's awesome that you're happy I expect there's a difference between being just generally attractive, and being outright gorgeous, though. The latter can carry quite a bit of baggage.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:59 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
No nipping and tucking here. I'm 79 and when I was 35 or so I had a nose surgery, had horrid allergies/sinus issues and a surgeon did a deviated septum surgery and while there smoothed out a bump on my nose. Hardly changed the nose and at first I thought "oh it's the same nose", but there is a difference.

Otherwise, I believe the powerful antioxidants I take are doing a great anti aging job on me and I've done facial exercises for probably the last 20 yrs and still do.

No surgery even if free. Nope.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:07 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
Fillers look so awful on a good number of show business people.

On some, the unattractive looks from fillers look better in 6 months or a year. (supposedly they last 6 months)

Not sure why one would want to risk looking awful from fillers. Unless maybe they think the unattractive fillers look better than their natural self.

Courtney Cox (from Friends) received so many harsh derogatory comments - her fillers really did look terrible - that she said she 'had them removed'. Maybe she had also had plates inserted in cheeks or chin.

A good number look nothing or very little like themselves after the procedures. (whether fillers or plastic surgery)

But there's always the chance that you'll be one of the lucky ones whose looks improve from the procedures.

Last edited by matisse12; 10-06-2017 at 08:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement