Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 09:41 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,070,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
We've lived in Florida for 45-years and would not want to live elsewhere.
Opinions vary. I grew up in the Ft Pierce area in the 50's and 60's, and you couldn't pay me to live in the state again. What's good for the goose may not suit the gander at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 09:59 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,944,323 times
Everybody's Personal List is going to be different. My Preference is for mild Winters and comfortable shoulder seasons like the long Spring & Autumn we have around here. My Personal List would rule out any of the States with even a hint of snow.

That leaves Florida, South Carolina, Nevada, Arizona, Texas and Georgia. For my Personal Quality of Life, I place a higher priority on the Arts, Museums, and Theatres than I do on Job Openings for Seniors.

I think we did alright choosing Charleston.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:07 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,631,783 times
How is NY number one for quality of life.

i cannot figure that out for the life of me. Not saying NY sucks, but i dont see how it beats a whole bunch of places..

Old 10-05-2017, 12:32 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
Everybody's Personal List is going to be different. My Preference is for mild Winters and comfortable shoulder seasons like the long Spring & Autumn we have around here. My Personal List would rule out any of the States with even a hint of snow.

That leaves Florida, South Carolina, Nevada, Arizona, Texas and Georgia. For my Personal Quality of Life, I place a higher priority on the Arts, Museums, and Theatres than I do on Job Openings for Seniors.

I think we did alright choosing Charleston.
How do you like Charleston?? I have tons of family there and it's on my short list of remaining cities. Are there beaches nearby? That's a huge must for me.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:54 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,259,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
Opinions vary. I grew up in the Ft Pierce area in the 50's and 60's, and you couldn't pay me to live in the state again. What's good for the goose may not suit the gander at all.
I'm with you on that. Florida is one of those states that you either love or hate. Personally, I lived there as a kid and would never want to go back. Palm trees and flat land don't impress me.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:55 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,414,136 times
Quote:
that's like over a half a century ago - places change, don't they?

Old 10-05-2017, 01:07 PM

99,499 posts, read 4,488,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Top four choices are: Florida, Wyoming, South Dakota and Iowa. Four States that I would never want to live in. Just visit Wyoming in the winter. I kept seeing gates on the major highways. Asking what they were for, I was told the highways are closed during winter storms and you have to wait out the storm at some gas station or restaurant. Could be hours or days.
And those "winter storms" have a nasty habit of coming along in May or even June.

Interstate 80 Closed in Wyoming as Heavy Snow, Strong Winds Impact The West

Old 10-05-2017, 01:07 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,884,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
How is NY number one for quality of life.
Well, as my daughter says, you can find and do anything you want whether it's 3pm or 3am. Of course she was 25 at the time.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:13 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
that's like over a half a century ago - places change, don't they?
Don't you know - stuff never gets better - only worse as the years go by!

Old 10-05-2017, 01:27 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,259,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Don't you know - stuff never gets better - only worse as the years go by!
But some things don't change....very very flat, lots of bugs, need A/C most of the year or you're living in a sauna. My mom loved Florida but she almost never stepped outside except to go from her air conditioned house to her air conditioned car to the air conditioned store. Unless you live with a nice ocean view, what's the point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement