U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2017, 09:19 AM

484 posts, read 481,093 times

Advertisements

Florida? Been there, done that...three separate times. There will not be a fourth.

Humidity, bugs, traffic...did I mention the humidity?

Any place where you have to board up or pack up every time a hurricane approaches isn't exactly my idea of a relaxing retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 09:42 AM

12,088 posts, read 5,174,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post
Florida? Been there, done that...three separate times. There will not be a fourth.

Humidity, bugs, traffic...did I mention the humidity?

Any place where you have to board up or pack up every time a hurricane approaches isn't exactly my idea of a relaxing retirement.
When we lived in Florida, my mother who LOVED Florida would have probably died of a heart attack if a hurricane even came close. Fortunately, that never happened.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:10 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,612,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by larsm View Post
More than a little surprised NY was rated #1 for Quality of Life...
I believe the study weighed culture and entertainment very high under QOL. That's probably why it scored so high.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:31 PM

3,925 posts, read 1,671,931 times
The problems with all these lists is they try to represent an entire state as a homogeneous place.

Don't even bother reading the statewide lists, look for one that features individual cities. Better yet, neighborhoods!

Old 10-08-2017, 02:35 AM

6,353 posts, read 5,176,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Another list I don't get. I would never ever ever want to live in Florida. Quality of life? Who's life? I swear these lists are made up by 20 somethings sitting around their New York coffee shops who haven't a clue about the real world.
I know, right? The list says California is the 42nd most affordable state (sounds about right) but Nebraska is 40th (huh?). They ought to go back and check their data.

Warren Buffett's house, famously modest but still one of the nicest in Nebraska, is worth under $1 million - a price that wouldn't get you a one-bedroom condo in Malibu.

Old 10-08-2017, 05:22 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,612,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I know, right? The list says California is the 42nd most affordable state (sounds about right) but Nebraska is 40th (huh?). They ought to go back and check their data.

Warren Buffett's house, famously modest but still one of the nicest in Nebraska, is worth under $1 million - a price that wouldn't get you a one-bedroom condo in Malibu.
Warren Buffett lives in NEBRASKA?!

Anyway, I found it helpful (she said for the hundredth time). Once we are interested in a particular state, based on BASIC criterion which is important to us, then it's up to us to investigate those things which are highly specific.

What WOULD be cool is if they took the top 10 and then broke it down into distinctive financial and sociological demographics. Don't see that happening, but it would still be interesting to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or