Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 08:53 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,332,327 times

Advertisements

I know how some of you despise these lists, but I really like the way this one was compiled: simply affordability, quality of life and health care. It's all on one page AND the methodology was easy to understand.

Since I'd prefer to stay on the East Coast, DE is looking good. Now they don't rank it high in terms of "Quality of life," but that's because it factors in what MOST people would enjoy (the arts, museums, etc.), but that I don't really care about.

You just might want to check it out: https://wallethub.com/edu/best-and-w...-retire/18592/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 09:49 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,783,297 times
Another list I don't get. I would never ever ever want to live in Florida. Quality of life? Who's life? I swear these lists are made up by 20 somethings sitting around their New York coffee shops who haven't a clue about the real world.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:01 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,541,174 times
LOL, I actually like list. I'm close to retiring and they give me places to research and things to look for.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:03 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,541,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Another list I don't get. I would never ever ever want to live in Florida. Quality of life? Who's life? I swear these lists are made up by 20 somethings sitting around their New York coffee shops who haven't a clue about the real world.
whooo, what's wrong with Florida. My parents snowbirded in Tampa and LOVED, LOVED, LOVED IT. they certainly had a "clue" about the real world. I mean my dad died old?

folks simply remember that what floats your boat may not float another.

I'm a huge disney fan so it's a good bet I'll be spending a lot of time in Florida, in the near future.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:06 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,332,327 times
Quote:
Jim, while I completely agree with you on Florida, we can't deny that many, many do retire there (don't know stats), particularly if they can't afford a second home and become a "snowbird" as so many do. While I would not be able to stand it, many of of friends are going - or have already gone - to live there. I believe they do cater to seniors there, which is nice, since that's what we are.

Personally, I like the list because for me and probably tens of thousand of other seniors, COST and healthcare are primary factors. I see the other stuff (museums, great restaurants, festivals and all the other "fun things to do") as fringe. Great if one can afford that kind of life, and probably many couples can, but as a single struggling to get by, it was a very informative list.

Keep in mind: ENJOYING retirement and SURVIVING retirement are two very different things

Last edited by soulsurv; 10-05-2017 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: added

Old 10-05-2017, 10:09 AM

1,016 posts, read 304,655 times
Quality of life is so subjective. Different people have different priorities. That's why I chuckle at these rankings.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:10 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,477,246 times
Top four choices are: Florida, Wyoming, South Dakota and Iowa. Four States that I would never want to live in. Just visit Wyoming in the winter. I kept seeing gates on the major highways. Asking what they were for, I was told the highways are closed during winter storms and you have to wait out the storm at some gas station or restaurant. Could be hours or days.

Old 10-05-2017, 10:12 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,061,912 times
Most such lists are made for profit, regardless of who compiles them. Sitting in a New York coffee shop is meanwhile no worse an influence than sitting in a Hawaiian shrimp shack.

What they will all focus on is group preferences when what is actually important are your own personal preferences. Those might or might not conform to what "lots of others" want, dependent especially upon one's budgetary situation. Be honest with your inner self and try to target what works best in there, given whatever financial boundaries are involved.

Last edited by 17thAndK; 10-05-2017 at 10:35 AM..

Old 10-05-2017, 10:19 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,751,832 times
Quote:

That must be why Florida is one of the fastest growing states with over 21 million residents and 100 million visitors per year. We've lived in Florida for 45-years and would not want to live elsewhere.

I agree with you regarding these silly lists that seem to largely be compiled as easy column-fodder to meet a late deadline, rather than rational, intelligent data. (One can always find indiscriminate data to support one's pre-determined column subject).

Old 10-05-2017, 10:33 AM

1,387 posts, read 1,061,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712 View Post
Quality of life is so subjective. Different people have different priorities. That's why I chuckle at these rankings.
The "Methodology" section describes the weights and metrics used in estimating "Quality of life." Reading through them, I didn't find them inappropriate at all. They cover a good range of things that tend to be important to retirees. My problem with them is that they can't possibly apply universally across all areas of a state. I'm in the process of relocating to Northern Virginia as an example, but that and Southwestern Virginia might as well be on different planets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement