U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 05:40 PM

4,685 posts, read 3,256,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisertime View Post
Same here, as a male I've met just one in the last year. One problem is women get lots of emails and even the 5's wrongly get the impression they are 10s, because there is such an imbalance. Men do most of the pursuing. Some women I think are on there just to inflate their egos and use every camera trick in the book to hide their unwanted lbs/age, etc.

Ironic thing. Many will say in their profile, they don't want to receive one word/short responses (understandably), but no matter how much thought you put into a response, you might get ignored...and/or it comes down strictly to looks. Then some fat avg looking woman will message you "hi". Literally. Women seem to have a bias towards looking for things they don't like and have extensive checklists. Men are overlooking the differences and trying to find the commonalities.

My experiences in my 20s-30s were much better, but still the same exact things happened, but I just managed to meet more people. Not as many interest me now.
Huh? Where did you get your information?

This woman hasn't gotten very many emails. Probably under 10, and I've been doing the single site scene for quite a while. I have messaged many guys; almost none respond, and if they do it's to say sorry, already met someone.

The "rare" man who has emailed and sent more than one message turned out to be a con artist.

Con artist. The kind of guy I must attract. My ex was certainly one.

I saw a profile today on match.com. Some dude who said in his first sentence something to the effect that he loves sex and he isn't getting any (even tho he's married, he said). Wow. What a guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 07:46 PM

94 posts, read 50,038 times
I met my hubby on E-Harmony, that was 6 years ago when we were both 55. Yup, took us both that long to find our perfect match. Both of us came from hellish 20+ years married to others.

I tried Match, POF and OK-Cupid, met lots of losers, a few scammers and was not pleased at all with the experience.

On E-Harmony met 3 very nice gentlemen, met for coffee and enjoyed the meet up but no "spark". The 3rd there was that spark and we have been together ever since!

I only wanted to meet men within 2 years of my age, above or below. I think it is important as you get older to be nearer in age so you know you enjoy the same music, have many of the same memories of events, TV shows, etc. I also didn't want to partner up with a man with one foot in the grave, and end up being widowed before long. I didn't care how "youthful" or "in shape" they claimed to be.

I feel like I got really lucky in finding my husband and I truely hope we have many, many years together. Everyone deserves to know true love once in their lives.

I hope your mom finds what she is looking for and is able to live her own happily ever after story.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:34 AM

71,779 posts, read 71,875,234 times
i still prefer the more traditional dating approach .

DOES THIS RAG SMELL LIKE CHLOROFORM TO YOU ?

Old 10-12-2017, 12:03 PM

2,214 posts, read 1,354,565 times
Just went to Plenty of Fish. Put in my birth date and it switched me to Our Time

Old 10-19-2017, 02:59 PM

384 posts, read 217,703 times
This is my how my mother feels , she is 72. She married my step father when she was 30 and he was 50 , at 57 his health went south quickly, it started with a brain aneurysm , he was never the same. She retired early and cared for him until he died at 83 . She now jokes that he married her, a younger woman , to be his nurse . She refused to ever date again thinking that she would end up as a caretaker .

Old 10-19-2017, 05:31 PM

21,543 posts, read 44,068,928 times
My son and a couple of friends all met their wives on eHarmony - 13 years ago. Son far from perfect, but, after 13 years, my dil seems happy. If people are serious, they don't mind paying the fee. Way back in the day - in the late 80's I made one attempt to complete the eHarmony profile questions. This takes HOURS - never finished - never dated after that, either. Not motivated enough to put forth the effort.

Otoh, two years ago I heard of a 75 y/o widow (neighbor of a friend) who a couple months after burying her husband of over 40 years, immediately joined Catholic Singles and began a diligent and aggressive online search - dated a couple of guys, found a widower, got married within the year, sold both their houses here - and now live in a condo in a rural suburb. Apparently, neither believed in spending time grieving. But, she was a nurse, likes dining out and traveling. I think nurses see a lot of death and disability - apparently she didn't intend to miss a beat in the remaining time allotted to her.

Old 10-19-2017, 06:02 PM

5,431 posts, read 3,458,283 times
I think people who are religious have a lot of good luck with the religion-based dating websites such as ChristianMingle.com and JDate.com. I've heard of a good number of couples meeting through them. When both are adhering to or interested in a certain religion it gives a starting point of having something important in common. Important to them. And now you mention CatholicSingles.com, which I had not heard of. So there's another one!

Old 10-21-2017, 11:05 AM

13,325 posts, read 25,586,246 times
I know a woman in her 70s, long divorced and working part-time, who dates through JDate. She's not even Jewish! but thinks Jewish guys make good husbands.

Old 10-21-2017, 02:45 PM

8,997 posts, read 7,766,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little pink View Post
This is my how my mother feels , she is 72. She married my step father when she was 30 and he was 50 , at 57 his health went south quickly, it started with a brain aneurysm , he was never the same. She retired early and cared for him until he died at 83 . She now jokes that he married her, a younger woman , to be his nurse . She refused to ever date again thinking that she would end up as a caretaker .
One can have a dating/social life without the commitment of becoming a caretaker.

Old 10-28-2017, 01:38 PM

404 posts, read 158,334 times
My FIL remarried at the age of 72 to a woman who married him for his money.
He had three strokes, then a hear bypass, and she dumped him for good.
Before she did, she ran to the bank, withdrew any and all money that she could get her hands on. She removed all the jewelry that belonged to my deceased MIL from the house. Hope she "chokes" on it.

She also got her son-in-law lawyer to file for all of my FIL's assets...business, stocks, retirement, home, building.

The final "straw" was that she dumped in a nursing home 100 miles away from his family so we could not see him as much.

She then went on vacation to Hawaii for two weeks. When she got home, she didn't bother to even visit him at the nursing home that he lived in.

She didn't realize that while my father couldn't talk, he could still use gestures and noises and make his wishes known. We hired lawyers for him and fought the B for two years or so.

He ended up divorcing her, and getting half of what he owned back. Got a few pieces of important jewelry that were in family pictures.

I will NOT be getting remarried if my spouse passes before me. NO THANKS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or