Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 07:03 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times

Advertisements

I know many here planned long and well but did anyone's circumstances just change (in, say a year) and you made a major move, job change or retired?

I see changes in my client's lives where certain things happen for the better - all within - sometimes - a short time.

Then, I started thinking "what if?" -

If you fell into something like this and it worked out well (or it did not), I would like to hear stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 09:18 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times
Smile I guess this did not come out clearly

Scenario:

Self employed, gets an offer out of the blue. Not planning to sell right now but "what if?"
Decides to rent out home and move to another area (most likely 55 plus area).

Then, once there since far from current area, can freelance and work - not as he did but less hours but still have income coming in (not taking SS until 70). IOW, far enough away so no conflict.

This has happened to someone we know and has my husband thinking along the same lines. Right now, he's in an office (brick and mortar), cannot work out of the home (has to have an office in the city we live in plus clients come in all the time).

My husband is fairly quiet but it's been a rough year, lots of hours and he's a bit discouraged (not making what he wants), etc.

I'm trying to read between the lines. I know he's a bit envious of the friend (who is also a client) and was not planning this.

Friend's self employment (Medical/physician-licensed in Florida)
My husband's self employment (CPA) - Licensed in Florida

Old 10-09-2017, 12:18 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
None of my plans are etched in stone. I think if some great opportunity came along I would take it. I have always heard you only regret the things you didn't do. So I plan to do everything I can!

A friend of mine was a CPA in SD. He was always saying this was his last tax season. Then he was going to retire. He never made it. He was found dead on a fishing trip to Alaska. I have no idea why it was always one more year. He had plenty of money. He didn't need to keep on working. Maybe he was afraid to hang it up and declare himself retired.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:44 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,088,475 times
I agree. Life is too short not to take advantage of living as early as you can. Have a serious conversation with your husband and bring in the spreadsheets and talk over what you have and what can be done. If you have a desired place or you're willing to go where you think your husband wants to go (near friends) bring in some possibilities and see where it brings you. Good luck.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:10 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I know many seniors who have put this or that off until retirement or a more advanced age, then something medical or otherwise occurs and they cannot complete those plans.

My aunt is 56, and has been widowed for seven years. Her husband always wanted to take her on a proper honeymoon - they got married in 2000. First it was the son in school, then it was they are so close to retirement, etc. He died at 55 while mowing his lawn.

Within reason, I don't try to defer things I've always wanted to do. Tomorrow isn't promised for any of us.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:00 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
OP

This may not be what you are talking about but sometimes it amazes me how often in my life something comes up and things rapidly fall into place like pavers on a path. They just easily work out. And at times I have worked at something and it was more of a forcefit.

So at this point as long as the unexpected opportunity is not really crazy I am inclined to go with it. Kind of feel a divine aspect to it.

That is different from taking or not taking that special vacation or not.

Anyway I wish you and your husband well and that a special opportunity opens up and you take it

Old 10-09-2017, 07:03 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,073,926 times
Always consider the financial risks involved when making "impulsive" decisions.

It's hard to rebuild the closer you are to retirement.
I was a lot more daring and took bigger risks when I was younger because I had time on my side.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:22 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
OP

This may not be what you are talking about but sometimes it amazes me how often in my life something comes up and things rapidly fall into place like pavers on a path. They just easily work out. And at times I have worked at something and it was more of a forcefit.

So at this point as long as the unexpected opportunity is not really crazy I am inclined to go with it. Kind of feel a divine aspect to it.

Anyway I wish you and your husband well and that a special opportunity opens up and you take it
This might be a LITTLE off-topic, but in my 64 years, so often this is the case. If things are meant to be, it is exactly as you said -- things happened so quickly and easily that it is almost like someone or something was smoothing the path for me; and if things are very difficult with one obstacle after another placed before me, and I persevere anyway, I am almost always sorry at the result.

But, of course, that has just been my experience and might just be a coincidence.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:39 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
Have one for you OP.

My sister is a psychiatric nurse practitioner who has worked in mental and behavioral health the last 10 to 20 years. She retired recently but on an off chance looked at temporary nursing opportunities.

She accepted a 6 month position on the west coast doing forensic psychiatry in a state hospital. Basically she works with patients who plead not guilty due to insanity. Her job is to work with them until they meet the requirements to stand trial.

It is a dangerous environment and she has to be aware of `manipulation` behavior. But she is loving pulling out a skill set that she has not used in years. She is pleased to feel mentally challenged. The money is good. And as a side note she had lived in that part of the country before so this sojourn is getting that itch to return to the west coast lifestyle out of her system.

They offered her a full time job, asked her to come back next year on a regular basis, and asked to extend her contract to Which she agreed. Right now the Dorothy revelation in Oz of being no place like home is keeping her from staying. But who knows, she might try this temporary gig again. Explore Arizona or something but return to her own place when she is ready.

Maybe CPAs have sort of temporary opportunities

Old 10-09-2017, 08:22 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,755,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
OP

We made an impulsive move to FL, but was it really? In retrospect, we were watching home prices fall during the crash and the thought of moving to FL had been starting to form. We had lived away from our families since we were 30, had empty-nested for 18 years and had our me time. We were ready to live near family and wanted to be part of our grandkid's lives after our grandson arrived. He was the catalyst; it was like a bell rang and we woke up to the possibilities.

I think the things we consider and end up doing are not as impulsive as we like to think. We were ready for this move, we just didn't know it until all the pieces started falling into place. More importantly, as scary as it was at first, it felt right.

To the OP, possibilities are opening up for you that aren't totally foreign ideas now. Start going down that path and see if it can work for you. If it doesn't happen at this time, it may later and won't feel as impulsive because you've given it thought.

Last edited by jean_ji; 10-09-2017 at 08:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement