U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 05:53 PM

8 posts, read 9,647 times

Advertisements

Hi, This is about how Medicare and SS coordinate payments.

I signed up for Medicare some time ago and now pay each month for Part B (Part A free) and some extra amounts we have to pay (IRMAA, income-related monthly adjustment amount) due to income levels. But that payment goes ALL to Medicare in St. Louis.

Now, it's time to sign up for Social Security such that Social Security will begin to simply deduct what I own to Medicare from my Social Security benefit and they, I assume, get that money to Medicare.

But the devil is always in the details.

If there is someone out there who has done what I'm doing, Medicare Parts A and B (only pay for B with some extra for the IRMAA I mentioned) which gets paid directly to Medicare.

OK, Medicare bills us each month and we pay them for Part B, an IRMAA on top of Part B and another IRMAA on top of Part D.

Now, when I sign up for Social Security, how does Social Security coordinate with Medicare such that at some point I stop paying Medicare directly and just see the amount I used to pay to Medicare now being taken out of my Social Security monthly benefit??? When will Medicare bills stop or might there be a month where I will get a paper bill from Medicare as well as a deduction from SSN??? And I would likely pay both and hope to get one back later??? It's all about getting the bill paid properly.

Can't find any literature anywhere on Medicare or SS that speaks to this approach, Medicare followed later by SS. Can anyone help???

By either pointing me to some document that speaks to this??? Or by sharing your own experience if you've taken Medicare before later taking SS???

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 06:39 PM

6,063 posts, read 9,520,860 times
In California (might work differently in different states) when we started to take Social Security payments, they automagically stopped our former direct payments for Medicare B and D and started deducting them from the SS payments. We didn't need to do anything besides simply begin taking SS payments.

We didn't have any IRMAA payments, so I can't comment on that.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:57 PM

Hi, Thanks for the replay. I, too, am in California. And the IRMAA is nothing more than an added amount on top of the "base" payment so my guess would be SS could handle that as a summed amount just as Medicare currently does.

And did you pay your "direct payments" to Medicare via what they call their "Easy Pay" system??? That is another option I'm considering but there is a part of the Easy Pay form that is confusing to say the least as to who is supposed to sign the very bottom of that form down in what is called the "Financial Institution Section". I think you have to take it to your bank but no one seems to know. Might you know??? Form is SF5510 and can be seen down near the bottom of this page.

https://www.cms.gov/medicare/cms-for...510english.pdf

The question is who signs the "Signature and Title of Representative" in the Financial Institution Section of the document.

Medicare has great Tips on every line of the form, most of which are obvious even without tips but on the one line where some help would really be useful, NOTHING. Amazing...

Any ideas???

thanks

Old 10-08-2017, 07:32 PM

8,387 posts, read 9,131,891 times
Medicare and SS are the same agency.When you start SS the deduction is automatic No devil in the details. Your second post sounds like you’re making an extremely simple reality into a very complex fantasy.

Just apply for SS. That will be the end of your Medicare payment story. I had Medicare for a year before getting SS. It was a brainless process

Old 10-09-2017, 09:28 AM

6,063 posts, read 9,520,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diitto View Post
Hi, Thanks for the replay. I, too, am in California. And the IRMAA is nothing more than an added amount on top of the "base" payment so my guess would be SS could handle that as a summed amount just as Medicare currently does.

And did you pay your "direct payments" to Medicare via what they call their "Easy Pay" system??? That is another option I'm considering but there is a part of the Easy Pay form that is confusing to say the least as to who is supposed to sign the very bottom of that form down in what is called the "Financial Institution Section". I think you have to take it to your bank but no one seems to know. Might you know??? Form is SF5510 and can be seen down near the bottom of this page.

https://www.cms.gov/medicare/cms-for...510english.pdf

The question is who signs the "Signature and Title of Representative" in the Financial Institution Section of the document.

Medicare has great Tips on every line of the form, most of which are obvious even without tips but on the one line where some help would really be useful, NOTHING. Amazing...

Any ideas???

thanks
I don't remember it being called "Easy Pay", but yes, for Medicare payments (before taking SS) we had a form to fill out and bring to our bank for a signature. It's up to the bank who signs the "Signature and Title of Representative". They'll undoubtedly have seen a whole bunch of these forms and will know what to do.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:19 AM

5,225 posts, read 8,384,895 times
When I started Medicare before SS, I paid the MC bill quarterly by check by mail for one year. When SS benefits started, due to an overlap of previous MC payment, and first SS benefit with MC deduction, they refunded 2 of 3 month quarterly payment. All automatically.

Remember, MC is paid in advance, SS benefits are in arrears.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:20 AM

29 posts, read 16,973 times
Don't forget to sign up for a Medicare Supplement plan after your Part B is effective. You'll only have 6 months after that to sign up without having to go through medical underwriting. I think California has a birthday rule too... but as long as your sign up within 6 months you'll be given Medicare Supplement guaranteed issue.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:40 AM

Hi MelissaKayLife, thanks for the input. I got everything, Medicare Parts A & B, a supplement Prescription Drug Plan (Part D) and a Medigap Plan all three months BEFORE my birthday. The window opens three months before, includes your birthday month and goes for three months after as well.

A friend of mine who is two months older than me sort of blazed the trail and she helped a ton. And yes, you are correct, California where that friend and I both live DOES have a "Birthday Rule" that allows you to change Medigap plans (you states have that) that during your birthday month one per year. The only notable caveat in that Medigap birthday rule is that one can only move sideways or down, meaning you can't start with a cheaper plan and then later move up to a more expensive one. For that reason, both my friend and I both chose to start with the most expensive plan, the Plan F. That way we can stay there or move down over time. I will likely stay with that plan.

And for both the Medigap and Part D prescription drug plan both of them offered a really easy way to set up monthly automatic payment as I expected ALSO of Medicare. With the Medigap plan they set up automatic payment for me the day I signed up. For the Part D plan I did have to send in a form but it was trivial.

However, for Medicare, maybe not hard but certainly not as straightforward. They have this form called "Easy Pay" which has detailed TIPS on the first several items, items that are obvious and don't TIPS. Then they have a part at the bottom under FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS where they imply that you need to take the form to your bank to have someone from the bank verify your account number and routing number. My wife contends she has filled out this same form on the business side for a number of folks who own her business and she's always just signed them herself. And then they say, assuming you've filled it out right and I'm convinced, as at least one other has said here, that you need to get a bank person to sign at the very bottom in the FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS section, that it can take 6 - 8 weeks for the automated payment process to start.

And Medicare, if you do get bills in the mail, sends them quarterly but if you make more than a certain amount of money, and we do only because my wife is still working, that you have to pay these extra amounts called IRMAA (income-related monthly adjustment amount) and if you fall in that group, you get billed MONTHLY. And they send the bills so late that it's not always easy to be sure to get the paid amount back to them in time.

Bottom line is had I know Medicare would make it even a tiny bit hard to set up automatic payments, it would have been worth it to me to have just gone ahead and signed up for Social Security at the same time and had the Medicare payments automatically removed from my SS payment.

I never want to be late on ANY BILL and yes, I am pretty hyperbolic when it comes to paying bills. But as I've said to my wife, if you should say, pay your power and light bill late such that you get your power turned off, that would certainly be bad but you could pay the back bills plus maybe a fine and get it turned back on. But Medical Benefits??? Lost them and it is often lost forever. Thus the reason I am working so hard on this one.

Thanks for your feedback on the Medigap deal but yes I am aware and do have one. thanks

Old 10-09-2017, 12:42 PM

1,158 posts, read 648,171 times
Automatic deduction of the medicare B payment from your SS check is the way to go. There is a benefit of a hold-harmless or something that they can't increase your premium only so much if it goes up...those who pay their amount themselves monthly or quarterly are susceptible for more increases, should they be assigned.

IRMAA payments have to be paid ourselves? We'll get hit with that when our income tax catches up (in 2 years) and I just assumed it would increase the amount taken out of our SS. This is news to me.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:55 PM

Hi Pat Answers, Yes, I think just going ahead and taking SS is the way to go. Now, you did say something that confused me. Did you think I was implying that when SS takes over they will only pay the Medicare Part B BASE amount and that we, those of us who have to pay the IRMAA, that we will pay that separately???? If I implied that, I'm sorry. Didn't mean to.

Currently I pay EVERYTHING myself. Each month I get a bill for the Medicare Part B BASE (currently at $134 this year) + IRMAA on that Part B + IRMAA on Part D.

The main subscription part of my current Part D Prescription Plan gets paid to the company from which I bought the plan. In my case, that happens to be SilverScript. But the IRMAA part this "income-related monthly adjustment amount" for folks who make above a certain amount (and there are multiple levels of IRMAA) gets paid directly to Medicare.

Now, I'm hoping and trust it will be the first question I ask SS is that the entire payment, Part B Base + ALL IRRMA's will be deducted by SS from my monthly amount paid, that my ENTIRE monthly Medicare related payment will ALL come out of my SS.

Can anyone who pays any IRRMA's on their Medicare payment and who collects SS say for sure that SS takes out ALL that money each month from what you get paid??? Especially the IRMAA for the Part D Prescription Drug Plan because that one is one I could see that is a little out there on the periphery???

Let us know. thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or