U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 08:45 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,259,742 times

Advertisements

I've done it and I know of several people who have done it:

The first time I did it I was newly married to my late husband. We had a cabin in VT. It was so cold one winter, and the snow was so high, and we just couldn't get warm. My husband looked outside one morning and said lets call the Realtor, pack our belongings and move to FL. I gave it about 3 minutes thought and said OK. The cabin sold while we were driving to FL. We had the Realtor fax the contract to the hotel we would be staying at on the way. We signed it and sent it back. Then, for all purposes we were pretty much homeless. So we drove around Florida from city to city and finally decided we wanted to live near Disney. We were very happy there and successful.

We had a married friend who lost his job in NYC. Things weren't going well for him that year and he became depressed. His wife divorced him. He had no money, no place to live, no job. One day he hopped on his motorcycle and just began to travel. He wound up in Seattle, which he fell in love with. Within a month he was employed. Within the year he had bought a house, had a girlfriend and a dog. It worked out well for him.

On the flip side, I have friends who are married and both in the construction industry. It was hit hard in 2007 and they both were laid off. They decided to move to Canada where he found employment. They did not like it there. After about 5 years they moved to UT. Neither could find work in UT. They lived there a year and then moved to CA where they both found really great employment. While in CA he got a call from his former employer asking him to come back with plenty of incentives to do so. Now they are back where they started. Both have good jobs and are happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 10:25 AM

6,310 posts, read 5,053,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I know many seniors who have put this or that off until retirement or a more advanced age, then something medical or otherwise occurs and they cannot complete those plans.

My aunt is 56, and has been widowed for seven years. Her husband always wanted to take her on a proper honeymoon - they got married in 2000. First it was the son in school, then it was they are so close to retirement, etc. He died at 55 while mowing his lawn.

Within reason, I don't try to defer things I've always wanted to do. Tomorrow isn't promised for any of us.
She probably didn't want to go anywhere and used those as excuses. Some people just don't like to travel or have fears/phobias about it. I have a couple of relatives like that.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:31 AM

4,666 posts, read 3,243,341 times
I have been very impulsive in the past. Sometimes it has been good; other times not so good.

I worked for a large corporation in central NY, after 20+ years saw the "handwriting on the wall" (huge layoffs, talk of company leaving the area). At that time my son lived in TX and said he'd like it if I moved there. The company I had worked for had a plant in TX and I applied for a job there. I had a phone interview, was hired, so packed my belongings, hired a truck, left to start my new life right as the blizzard of March 1993 started. Got there a few days later. On Friday before job started on that following Monday, got a call. Job was no longer available. It has been a heckuva time ever since, tho last few years have been a lot calmer. I did move back "home".

Now many years later and of course a lot older, I still have that desire to move. But am frozen in time where I am as I fear a similar thing happening. No, not in the way of a job not working out, more it's can I handle it and will it work out? I am not well off financially. Shoestring budget. No significant other or friend who would go with me.

Bottom line is I'm too afraid to take the chance.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:54 AM

23,579 posts, read 17,561,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I have been very impulsive in the past. Sometimes it has been good; other times not so good.

I worked for a large corporation in central NY, after 20+ years saw the "handwriting on the wall" (huge layoffs, talk of company leaving the area). At that time my son lived in TX and said he'd like it if I moved there. The company I had worked for had a plant in TX and I applied for a job there. I had a phone interview, was hired, so packed my belongings, hired a truck, left to start my new life right as the blizzard of March 1993 started. Got there a few days later. On Friday before job started on that following Monday, got a call. Job was no longer available. It has been a heckuva time ever since, tho last few years have been a lot calmer. I did move back "home".

Now many years later and of course a lot older, I still have that desire to move. But am frozen in time where I am as I fear a similar thing happening. No, not in the way of a job not working out, more it's can I handle it and will it work out? I am not well off financially. Shoestring budget. No significant other or friend who would go with me.

For people with small budgets, I think it's often best to stay put in places you know and where there is a support system in place.

We had a retiree post recently on my local board who was in Florida collecting $1,000/month in disability with no more income and was recently widowed. She said FL is just too expensive on her budget. Well, central FL is probably more expensive than here, but $1,000 isn't going to get you far here either. You aren't going to find any place to live for under $500/month or so, and it likely won't include utilities.

People in that position are best to stay where they know how things work, or where they have family and friends.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:25 PM

30,086 posts, read 47,327,614 times
We didn't make what we thought were "impulsive" decisions but life changes have made some of our decisions not such good ones because of shifting events
The possibility that Trump/Congress will erase the estate tax will make one of our financial decisions likely unnecessary and the ROI will be more negative than positive

Our decision to buy a larger home about 9 yrs ago (which we could afford to pay cash for) has turned into not such a positive decision because of subsequent family events/decisions--not all on our part but which are different from what we envisioned
Now we are considering selling this one and moving to smaller house but we can't agree on where...

And frankly I think some people are just luckier than others--nothing to prove that perception

Old 10-09-2017, 08:27 PM

5,170 posts, read 8,693,102 times
Smile Thank you for the stories! Loved them! Keep them coming!

Years ago, I joined CD for the idea of buying a 2nd home somewhere. Our plans were rather derailed and we've just been working hard every week and some weeks it does get old.

However, I realize my husband may be more ripe for a change than I am. He no longer has any family in our area; I do. I mean, they are his family also. We've been together a long time.

He may not think I'm listening to him but I am.

And, I do understand how some things just come together. I'll watch what these friends/clients do also.
They are more of the lucky brand. Life has been somewhat easy for them.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:23 PM

2,743 posts, read 1,703,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I know many here planned long and well but did anyone's circumstances just change (in, say a year) and you made a major move, job change or retired?

I see changes in my client's lives where certain things happen for the better - all within - sometimes - a short time.

Then, I started thinking "what if?" -

If you fell into something like this and it worked out well (or it did not), I would like to hear stories.
I don't know if this fits your request, but my DH and I had lived in Minneapolis for 23 years. For 17 of those years, we had vacationed where we now live, Door County Wisconsin, generally twice a year for 10 days each time. We had often spoken about moving here if it were ever possible, but we had pretty much decided that it was just a dream, not very practical.

In October 2013 we were once again visiting here. Two days before we were to leave for home, I was reading the news for the neighborhood in Minneapolis where we lived. I said to my DH, "Oh wow, the airport's going to build three additional runways that will direct even more planes over our house." He said, "That's it--call a Realtor, we're moving here." We phoned a Realtor the next day, and seven months later, we moved into our new home. We tell each other every day (no kidding) how lucky we are. Moving here was the best impulsive thing we ever did (well, maybe besides getting married after knowing each other for 10 weeks, but that's a story for another day).

Old 10-09-2017, 09:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,558 posts, read 39,944,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I have been very impulsive in the past. Sometimes it has been good; other times not so good....
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
We didn't make what we thought were "impulsive" decisions but life changes ...frankly I think some people are just luckier than others--nothing to prove that perception
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Years ago, I joined CD for the idea of buying a 2nd home somewhere. Our plans were rather derailed and we've just been working hard every week and some weeks it does get old.

However, I realize my husband may be more ripe for a change than I am. He no longer has any family in our area; I do. I mean, they are his family also. We've been together a long time.

He may not think I'm listening to him but I am.

And, I do understand how some things just come together. I'll watch what these friends/clients do also.
They are more of the lucky brand. Life has been somewhat easy for them.
I have had some real failures from quick decisions, but I am a risk taker by nature, and will continue to do so (no matter the pain...) Hopefully I am learning / growing up!!

Moving is as pretty big decision and costly! Don't get it wrong, but if things change... don't hang on too long (It may take forever). Most make this mistake (Hanging on to losers). Life is purposely very short. Make it good while it lasts (that requires some risk).

Map it out (plan well)
Know your costs (opportunity and actual)
Commit, but know your plan B (parachute) and when to pull the rip cord..

Possibly you are currently TOO LONG in your 'comfortable spot' (Refusing to 'let-go' / take the required step to improve your life situation. ) We all are MORE comfortable doing that (Staying put).

For some... that is as far as they will ever get. (That is OK for them), not OK for me.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:44 PM

18,094 posts, read 22,952,534 times
OP, I have a hard time understanding your posts. They seem kind of stream-of-consciousness blurbs. Having a hard time reading between the lines. Maybe you could be more detailed or specific?

Trying to glean what you're saying - your husband wants to quit his job. You don't want him to. But, that doesn't sound spontaneous to me. Sounds like making decisions about your husband wanting to quit his job earlier than you want him to.

Anyway, maybe you could explain about what you are talking about regarding impulsive. Also the story you mentioned was about someone who lost their job, then found other work somewhere else? Again, that's not impulsive, it's making a decision based on current circumstances.

Like I say, I don't understand exactly what you're saying. But, if your husband is still employed, but wants to quit, that's not impulsive. If he was impulsive, he'd have just quit and come home and announced that he'd done so, seems to me.

Old 10-10-2017, 12:15 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,558 posts, read 39,944,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
OP, I have a hard time understanding your posts. ... If he was impulsive, he'd have just quit and come home and announced that he'd done so,...
My FIL did that with 4 girls in High School... came home one day and said "I'm sick of California traffic... We're moving 2000 miles away TODAY!"
From the beach to the tumbleweed / grasshopper infested prairie, leaving the house, grandparents, pets, friends, schools, neighborhood behind..." Poof, GONE.

MIL Duncan Phyfe dining table had a leg sticking out the door of the $500 moving truck he bought, so he sawed it off. (short leg is Still sitting on a book 50 yrs later...)

That move didn't work out so well for him (50 yrs bitter kids, 30 yrs bitter wife (died very young, very bitter)) And a broken Dining Room table...

Sounds like something I would do

Yikes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or