U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 11:02 PM

284 posts, read 259,249 times

Advertisements

I retired in January and we moved to an active adult community in another state in April. It was a whirlwind of packing and selling one house while renovating a new one. Now that most of the hard work is done, we're starting to take time to explore the area and socialize more within the community. It's a bigger adjustment than maybe I realized. For those of you that made a move, what was your adjustment period like and how long did it take you to feel settled in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 11:47 PM
JRR

3,677 posts, read 2,224,193 times
We moved from Florida to Tennessee earlier this year. I would say within a month we felt right at home and settled in. We had scoped out the area pretty well before we made the move, so the adjustment time was not long for us.

Old 10-09-2017, 04:34 AM

1,137 posts, read 569,507 times
Our plan will take us two to three years once we move- which is coming up within the next six months.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:07 AM

23,567 posts, read 17,544,804 times
I've done three, out-of-state moves in the past five years, but I'm not retired.

The first move was my first more than a couple hours from where I grew up. I went from Tennessee to Iowa sight unseen in 2012. It took a couple of months to get the feel for it, but I never really adjusted and moved back in year.

I moved from Tennessee to Indiana in early 2014. Probably took two to three months before I really felt comfortable. I liked Indiana a lot better than Iowa. While I doubt I would have stayed there my whole life, I lived in a great community. The jobs I had were stressful, but aside from that and it kind of being boring from a weather/terrain standpoint, it was a good place to live.

I moved back to my hometown last year. While I'm not pleased here, things are about like I've always known them to be.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:22 AM

2,743 posts, read 1,701,611 times
I have found that it takes me around 3 years to truly feel settled into a new community, and our last move has been no different.

I know it sounds like a long period, but three years is the time frame I've found that it takes me to get a mental map of the area in my head so I can get around easily, to find doctors, dentists etc. I like and trust, and to become established with local service providers to the point that I am comfortable knowing who to call when something is out of order.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:00 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times
I’ve done two long distance moves in my life. Each time I would say it took me about three years to really begin to feel at home in the new place.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:09 AM

7,096 posts, read 3,457,793 times
We research and research and research all big decisions and moving is a HUGE one.

In the 10 years leading up to our retirement, we vacationed to spots we thought we'd like to live after retirement. Picked our top 3. After we sold our home and retired (ages 50/51), we went to all 3 and rented a vacation home for a month in each of them. Picked our top choice...after a few more months of renting, we purchased a few doors away and already knew our 'new' neighbors.

We opted for a series of 5 year plans in retirement (retired in 2003) and did the same thing for subsequent moves and purchases. All have been winners....and we got to know people as we visited then rented, before we purchased. All our retirement venues have been small artsy funky liberal towns.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:26 AM

6,550 posts, read 3,656,219 times
My hardest task was finding a church. After attending one church for thirty years I couldn't find one that felt right. It was like wearing someone else's shoes. I finally did but it is so far away that I seldom get there. I may start looking again.

Other than that I adapted pretty well and have settled in. It took about six months to a year before it seemed less like a vacation and more like home. The grocery store is a little odd compared to what I'm used to...there's a regional difference in food and cuisine. Some produce looks strange. My doctor is wonderful...best one I've had in years. The "big box" stores are the same. Most of the people I meet moved here a few years ago and are from all over the country. The climate is wonderful. There is much more diversity than where I lived which I like. I left friends behind (some come to visit) but made new ones.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:23 PM

21,848 posts, read 14,356,798 times
We moved cross country 5 years ago. Since we had visited this place many times before, and because we had family nearby, we did not feel too weird, except for when I needed to buy groceries. It took me a long time to find the grocers I wanted to patronize regularly. And I spent a lot of time wandering aisles trying to find stuff I was seeking.

I missed our church; but we found a great church immediately and we have made friends. We do stuff at and for our church, and being with like minded people has been a blessing for us.

We had been used to living on 3 acres in a house on a private road. We are now in a subdivision. We are cheek to jowl here, and I have had a few adjustments, but overall, except when I hear a dog barking for 15 minutes straight, I haven't minded the change too much.

I was happy here right from the start. Getting here was a long drawn out chore and quite a project that required effort from both of us. So, just getting here was a high for me. Every new discovery seemed great. There have been a few disappointments, but overall, I am happy and we do not regret moving. It is hard to know when we felt settled. Probably it was a couple of months after our furniture arrived. At that point we would have been here six months.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:34 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,641,304 times
The hardest was country to country and dealing with a new culture but it seems each move we've had over the years , 5 times different states, it averaged out to 6 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement