U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2017, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia/South Jersey area
2,875 posts, read 1,403,268 times
Reputation: 10088

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
So, I just tried again to reach Social Security. After 2 min of irrelevant information I was told wait time would be 40 min. I waited 40 minutes, listening to headache inducing music and more useless info. Then the phone went dead. So I called back, went through the unnecessary info and preliminary automated questions again. Was told "we are sorry, too busy, call back another time." And so it goes. No offer for call back either.
lol, yes they can drive you to drink. no answer, just commiserating . been there, done that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-10-2017, 11:54 AM
 
Location: equator
3,436 posts, read 1,531,248 times
Reputation: 8528
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
lol, yes they can drive you to drink. no answer, just commiserating . been there, done that.

Have a cocktail and a good book while on hold....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2017, 12:21 PM
 
1,532 posts, read 1,438,987 times
Reputation: 11199
Put your phone on speaker and do whatever you want until they answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2017, 12:53 PM
 
Location: NC
6,553 posts, read 7,974,458 times
Reputation: 13460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Put your phone on speaker and do whatever you want until they answer.
Yes, you can do that, but you need to stay near enough to hear the music and the voice frequently telling you to go on line so that you can interact "comfortably"---when you tried online first and it was useless to your situation. I personally have a hard time doing something else at the same time. Maybe the cocktail would be a better choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2017, 01:02 PM
 
1,532 posts, read 1,438,987 times
Reputation: 11199
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Yes, you can do that, but you need to stay near enough to hear the music and the voice frequently telling you to go on line so that you can interact "comfortably"---when you tried online first and it was useless to your situation. I personally have a hard time doing something else at the same time. Maybe the cocktail would be a better choice.


Well, alrighty then. By all means, no one should ever use speaker phone because no one could ever find anything to do near enough to the phone to make it possible to use the speaker phone. Good grief! What was I thinking? Clearly, it was a really, really stupid and worthless suggestion. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2017, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
7,654 posts, read 4,699,473 times
Reputation: 27973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
Well, alrighty then. By all means, no one should ever use speaker phone because no one could ever find anything to do near enough to the phone to make it possible to use the speaker phone. Good grief! What was I thinking? Clearly, it was a really, really stupid and worthless suggestion. .
Nah, I do what you do. I work while I'm on hold and have the phone on speaker.

Do they pick the worst possible tunes for music-on-hold or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2017, 01:33 PM
 
1,700 posts, read 611,572 times
Reputation: 1783
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
When I applied on-line 3 months before 70th birthday to start Retirement benefits at age 70, there was nothing "extra" to do beyond stating that my intended start date to be my 70th birthday.

The SS agent that did the follow-up phone call did try to offer me a 6 month retroactive lump sum, but that would have reduced my monthly payment to the age 69.5 rate. I declined, as my whole intent of delaying was to maximize the monthly. The agent acted surprised at my turndown. Maybe most people jump at the chance of a check for 10s of 1000s. YMMV
I am quite certain about reading somewhere (possibly even this forum) that somebody applied for SS retirement 3 months before their 70th birthday, requested the benefit to start on their 70th birthday, but it automatically defaulted to the amount of benefit as of the time of the application (ie, age 69), without anybody from SS calling or otherwise notifying the applicant about it. There was a response about what to do to avoid this, but I regrettably did not save it and do not remember it (I was in my 40s, so it wasn't of any practical interest yet... but now this subject matter is slowly coming into the picture).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2017, 01:42 PM
 
1,532 posts, read 1,438,987 times
Reputation: 11199
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I am quite certain about reading somewhere (possibly even this forum) that somebody applied for SS retirement 3 months before their 70th birthday, requested the benefit to start on their 70th birthday, but it automatically defaulted to the amount of benefit as of the time of the application (ie, age 69), without anybody from SS calling or otherwise notifying the applicant about it. There was a response about what to do to avoid this, but I regrettably did not save it and do not remember it (I was in my 40s, so it wasn't of any practical interest yet... but now this subject matter is slowly coming into the picture).


When I applied online, I got an email from an actual Social Security representative (within a few days) with the options available to me for the date I wanted the claim to start. It was up to me to choose the one I felt worked best for me. The representative who sent the email indicated that I could address any questions by email, but the options and the explanations were clear, so I just chose the one I wanted, and my payments started up on time and at the correct amount. I have found the SS reps I have dealt with to be knowledgeable and professional. Same with Medicare. It's not their fault if their agency's budget does not allow it to hire enough people to reduce the telephone response times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2017, 02:05 PM
 
Location: NC
6,553 posts, read 7,974,458 times
Reputation: 13460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
... I have found the SS reps I have dealt with to be knowledgeable and professional. Same with Medicare. It's not their fault if their agency's budget does not allow it to hire enough people to reduce the telephone response times.
I totally agree--it is a budget thing. In the past when I finally reached a live person, they were extremely helpful and got the job done.

You are lucky you fell within the "usual" group. My situation, that of using an option called "file and suspend" locked me out of what you could do and does not provide a reasonable alternative at this time except to maybe go in person without an appointment (35 mile drive).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2017, 02:15 PM
 
1,700 posts, read 611,572 times
Reputation: 1783
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I am quite certain about reading somewhere (possibly even this forum) that somebody applied for SS retirement 3 months before their 70th birthday, requested the benefit to start on their 70th birthday, but it automatically defaulted to the amount of benefit as of the time of the application (ie, age 69), without anybody from SS calling or otherwise notifying the applicant about it. There was a response about what to do to avoid this, but I regrettably did not save it and do not remember it (I was in my 40s, so it wasn't of any practical interest yet... but now this subject matter is slowly coming into the picture).
Aha, found it! Here is the answer to my own question, in case anyone is interested: in the "application comments" section of the SS application, one has to sign an unequivocal statement that one "wishes to receive the maximum benefit, including all delayed retirement credits to age 70, and does not wish to receive any retroactive payments based on retirement age earlier than 70". This is actually on Wikipedia, under Social Security topic (buried among all other info, so you do have to dig for it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top