U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 01:37 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,988,304 times

Advertisements

I just filled out an I-9 form this week for a temp assignment. They allowed me to use a drivers license and a birth certificate or SS card for ID.

Perhaps different jobs have different requirements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 06:35 PM

161 posts, read 353,749 times
Not everyone can get a replacement SS card online via my SocialSecurity. It depends on the state where your driver's license is issued. They list the acceptable states online.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:46 PM

14,035 posts, read 7,483,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
I just filled out an I-9 form this week for a temp assignment. They allowed me to use a drivers license and a birth certificate or SS card for ID.

Perhaps different jobs have different requirements.
No. An I-9 is an I-9. You don't need a Social Security card for an I-9. The Social Security Administration doesn't require that you show a Social Security card to your employer, either. They have an online verification system.

This is probably an HR clerk doing what they were told to do. It's easier if you make every new hire give you the same documents.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:25 PM

478 posts, read 302,068 times
They will give her a letter stating she applied to get another one, which will be sent in 5-7 business days. That way, she has confirmation she has a number and is waiting for replacement card.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:27 PM

478 posts, read 302,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
No. An I-9 is an I-9. You don't need a Social Security card for an I-9. The Social Security Administration doesn't require that you show a Social Security card to your employer, either. They have an online verification system.

This is probably an HR clerk doing what they were told to do. It's easier if you make every new hire give you the same documents.
I guess it depends on the state, but every time I hired someone, I needed verification with the SS card and photo ID.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or