U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 12:31 PM

40,211 posts, read 15,179,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Shocking and mean. But I was looking at getting a mortgage in retirement and hearing they don't take into account retirement funds. So you're trying to buy a 200K house, and you have 2 million in retirement funds but a yearly "income" of 30K, and you won't qualify?

Just started researching...
Yes. My financial advisor has told me more than once that if I intend to purchase a different home again in my lifetime I'd better do it before I retire or else I won't be able to get a mortgage loan. My advisor works at my bank and has access to all of my accounts and she knows that I have a nearly perfect credit score. She said my assets will not be considered by a mortgage lender; that they will only look at my current income if I apply for a loan. *sigh*

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:50 PM

5,394 posts, read 21,393,457 times
Quote:
Shocking and mean. But I was looking at getting a mortgage in retirement and hearing they don't take into account retirement funds. So you're trying to buy a 200K house, and you have 2 million in retirement funds but a yearly "income" of 30K, and you won't qualify?

A number of us have run into this over the last few years. Few lenders underwrite a mortgage based upon assets they but usually want a higher rate because cannot easily sell it, so most underwrite based upon income.

A simple program from your financial firm that moves money periodically out of your retirement account to your cash account will satisfy the income requirement. Sometimes they want to see it have a history but often just establishment and a couple of months will satisfy them. It may or may not work well in your tax plan.

I setup plan that moved more than enough income and let it run through the application and close of the mortgage and them reduced it to fit my tax/income plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 05:44 PM

4,168 posts, read 1,892,872 times
Quote:

It's not that you won't qualify, but you just won't qualify for what you would expect had you a J.O.B.
It's a screwy situation. Hard to believe that in our recent experience that we are a high risk client with 40% down pay to deserve a 4.75% rate .

Old 10-13-2017, 06:04 PM

4,168 posts, read 1,892,872 times
^
We tried to get a loan from national BigBank, June-October 2015. We had just received an inheritance and I wanted use inheritance as collateral. Loan was something close to 5% with 30% down. I thought it was the our FICO score slightly under 750 (low credit card limit and don't carry a balance).
We said the heck with you and took the money out of said bank and bought with inheritance cash.
The condo that we bought has nearly 50% appreciation in 24 months, and ROI 7.5%. Primo location .

Wife likes this bank and it does have national presence. I only use this branch to pay my Amazon CC and get coffee and free "sucker" candy. Sometimes a dog biscuit which the "daughter" dog doesn't like.

Old 10-13-2017, 06:40 PM

11,935 posts, read 20,386,478 times
Then it might make sense to buy now, and retire after I’ve paid on the house for a bit. But I don’t like the idea of leaving a house empty and I don’t want to rent it out but we still have some time so I guess I can just sort of think about things.

Sucks anyway.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:15 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,506,948 times
Guess I will stay in this rental forever!
No mortgage, no credit cards, no car loans, nothing.
Nothing like being "invisible" in society.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:44 PM

2,557 posts, read 953,519 times
Hi HappyDog, That is pretty much what Dave Ramsey says on his wonderful radio show. Except he says to pay everything off including the house, and shows us how. Absolutely terrific guy. Here is the link if anyone is interested. Enjoy (o:

https://www.daveramsey.com/show/home/?snid=show

-----------------------------------------------------

Old 10-13-2017, 08:00 PM

15,224 posts, read 8,518,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
"This seems unfair, but it is a fact of life."

It's not only unfair, it is morally wrong!
Businesses don't have to be moral - their only reason to exist is to make money. As long as it is legal to the letter of the law (the spirit of the law / ethics/ morality don't count) they are golden.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:05 PM

2,557 posts, read 953,519 times
Everyone, business or not, should be moral. Goodness, and kindness should be everyone's guidelines. The only reason some are not is because money is their "god" which they serve, and worship. Being moral, and compassionate just gets in their way. And that is a major reason the world is in the mess it is. Pride, and greed.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:19 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,506,948 times
''The love of money is the root of all evil.'' Yep, so true if you think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement