U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 01:00 PM

3,346 posts, read 3,048,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
The OP only posted his original post to let people know that this is happening. It's a terrible situation for the elderly.
It seems to only be happening in one facebook post in his small town. We've seen no evidence otherwise (and we actually haven't seen his evidence).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 01:16 PM

26,591 posts, read 52,294,382 times
Quote:
Most revered Moderator, Should not responding posters back up their opinions with facts? Anybody can say that what they speak of is fact, but only the Law has final say on a certain matter of discrimination. What does the HUD law say about this matter? How can people know if they are breaking the law unless it has been made clear to them in black, and white?

The OP only posted his original post to let people know that this is happening. It's a terrible situation for the elderly. Not to start a war with landlords. Since then he, and others have come under attack from opposing views. Our posts have only been rebuttals defending our positions. Respectfully submitted.
It's a great topic for discussion.

I'm not a lawyer and my closest affiliation is as a State Certified Arbitrator of Consumer Disputes...

City Data is read all over the world and applicable housing law varies from type to specific locations and at least in my rent controlled areas continues to evolve.

My rental agreements started as one page with a Inventory and Condition Addendum... that was it.

Now it is 28 pages and growing due to all the requirements in my jurisdiction...

There are some good government resources online... though my lawyer friend has personally established case law that required modification to the verbiage locally...

My personal experience is retirees are welcomed... again just my experience.

We use the same standard for everyone... the only exception was made for Voucher Holders when HUD would guarantee the security deposit portion.

Old 10-14-2017, 01:18 PM

2,529 posts, read 802,928 times
Right now I am working full time and my rent is 45% of my net monthly income. I have lived in my current apartment for 9 years and been late with the rent twice (during the recession) the entire time. When I retire, I will sell the car, pay off the one credit card I have and move, but my SS will only be about $1700 (including deduction for Medicare) and I'll have a pension (not 401k) of about $65k. I know I will be able to make a monthly rent of $850 depending on what utilities are included, but I think I will be hard pressed to convince a landlord of that.

Old 10-14-2017, 01:25 PM

8,976 posts, read 8,107,191 times
Quote:

Or developers could get together to construct more safe, and affordable dwelling places for low income folks like I've read about elsewhere in our country. There are plenty of ways to give back to the community. All profits don't have to be kept selfishly for themselves. After all, how much wealth to people really need to heap up?
The problem in high cost of living areas, is they simply cannot build cheap enough to build low cost housing for low income people. There is no potential to make a profit, in fact you would loose considerable money every month if you tried to do what you suggest.

Example: Silicon Valley where I raised a family. I saw the other day in the heart of the SV, that there was only one lot in a housing tract for sale in that city. It is a normal middle class neighborhood type area. Price $1.25 million dollars for a bare lot. A house apparently had been torn down or burned down, and that made the lot available. When land is that type of price, you cannot build housing at a price you can afford to rent to low income people. The cost to cover a mortgage and all expenses exceeds the amount the low income can pay.

Old 10-14-2017, 01:27 PM

2,565 posts, read 957,849 times
Thank you Ultrarunner, Yes the laws vary from state to state. Earlier I included links to the HUD site on age discrimination just for clarification. I hope I don't get in trouble for that.

Have you done the Western States, or Leadville yet? Or even, gasp, the Copper Canyon? I think ultras are very cool. The most I've done is walked the Rhody Run, a 12k. But I did finish D.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:24 PM

4,872 posts, read 2,350,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Because the poster you quoted clearly implied their holdings and income was sufficient, they were just worried they will be rejected simply for being seniors not drawing a paycheck that can be garnered.
Dave TY - for explaining that to the person who responded to my post. I couldn't kudo you again.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:44 PM

4,872 posts, read 2,350,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDogToday View Post
I had never seen this before either and I hope it does not become a trend. I just renewed my lease for the 6th time with no plans to move. I was not on SS when I came here. I worked part-time and had a contract job as well.

I posted this to inform and to see if others were seeing this as rental requirements in their areas. Also to give a heads up to seniors who might be planning to rent .
Thanks Happy! DH still is against an apt and wants to buy. We're currently in the NE - housing is low but taxes are high. Planning to move south where houses cost more but taxes are lower. I've looked at homes with a substantial down payment - 55+ communities - where we may be able to afford a house and mortgage but then are saddled with association fees and apts.

What I'm trying to get through to him - is the fact that you don't own a house - a house owns you - especially as it and you ages. To buy at our age - even with a substantial down payment and taking out a 15 yr loan would be expensive plus add utilities and upkeep. Should something happen to either of us - the income would be diminished by at least $1,000 making it more of a problem.

His concern is the problems with neighbors - when we were first married - we had 3 different apartments - needless to say - the neighbors next store or above were horrible - but if you rent - you can always move after a year at the most even if you have a lease. You can own and still have a horrible neighbor next door - but it's not as easy to extricate yourself from the situation.

I'd be more than happy to move into senior Hud housing which my grandmother and cousin lived in - but DH doesn't want to live with old people - maybe someday he'll get the clue that we will be those old people in a couple of years.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:23 PM

2,529 posts, read 802,928 times
Quote:
You should not have rented to those people since the rent was over 1/3 of their combined income.
When you are a landlord, you take the chance that you may get deadbeat renters regardless of their income or age. This can be mitigated by getting references from previous landlords among others. How much you make or not is no guarantee someone is going to meet their obligations. As stated earlier, my rent right now is 45% of my net monthly income and as a single mom for 19 years living paycheck to paycheck, we may have eaten a lot of rice and spaghetti sometimes, but I always paid the rent.

Old 10-14-2017, 11:11 PM

689 posts, read 286,133 times
Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDogToday View Post
I mentioned those categories among others mentioned.
I am not citing this to get legal questions answered. I know the laws. Why has this forum become so literal-minded and quick to shut down every discussion?
It's a ''discussion forum'', not a wikipedia for legal and financial affairs.
I was sharing an observation that I had never seen before in my area of rural Ohio. That's all.
And yes, though it all may be ''legal'', it certainly will impact negatively on retirees if it becomes a regular renting practice across the area. They won't be able to rent a house or apartment.
I agree w you it seems very wrong. This is why retired folks move to areas that are receptive to them. Alot of areas in Florida, Vegas and that cute little town, Bisbee, AZ......I don't know many that want to retire in Ohio. Lovely place. I lived in Cleveland for a semester but the winters are brutal

Old 10-14-2017, 11:23 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,508,503 times
Relocation is something I am considering and that is a great point, Fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement