U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 09:44 PM

18,130 posts, read 23,010,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyDogToday View Post
I wasn't irritated. Just did not want the issue shut down as if it's all black and white and hinder discussion. Yes, it's discrimination but if there are no laws on the books it isn't "illegal". Unethical maybe, but illegal probably not. And maybe it should be.
Well, anything that might be legal or not legal, really is black and white. If it's close either way, and obviously something that is unfair, then it's worth pursuing legally, in order to get a new law on the books.

But, as I recall, you were complaining about anyone who was trying to make this about laws, and there's no way to discuss this without it being about laws.

When you want to complain about something being unfair in the world, you are talking about "there ought to be a law" or "isn't there a law...."

So, I have to disagree with you as far as what you originally said about not wanting this to be about the law...then back-pedaling and saying you just didn't want things to be black and white....uh, that makes no sense. If you want things to be firmly gray, then that means you have no rights.

Rights means black and white. This is allowed, that is not.

And what I learned when I was studying law, is that if something seems like it's not reasonable, then it probably isn't - and there is probably a law that says it's not okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 11:59 PM

6,219 posts, read 2,879,696 times
My heart weeps for landlords. They are at the mercy of others money/assets to fully fund their property. Scarry for the landlord to get stuck having to make a mortgage payment with their own money. They gotta make sure the cow is still giving milk.

I worked finance...Some folks didn't have a 'job'. Didn't need to. Trust fund babies are often established. And yes..Some rented because they traveled ..And didn't want the hassle of home ownership. I can't imagine a landlord saying or writing via advertising that it's because they can't garnish a wage. Seriously I think that's a bit made up to get the ops pt across. My landlord doesn't do a wage check.. they know they can follow us to court and most likely win if we are backwards on rent. seize bank accounts or valuables ..Place liens..Etc.
I do know in this area they won't rent directly to someone under 21. They require a co signer. Maybe the seniors can get that too!

Old 10-12-2017, 05:47 AM

4,880 posts, read 2,355,982 times
This whole thread is a real disappointment to me. We plan to retire and move in the next few years. DH wanted to buy another house - but because I'm the one that does all the work inside and outside the house - I want an apt where someone else worries about the yards and repairs. We'll only have SS and our 401s - mind you that our income will be more then than it is now - but to think we wouldn't be allowed to rent because of our income is ridiculous.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:03 AM

2,879 posts, read 1,408,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
This whole thread is a real disappointment to me. We plan to retire and move in the next few years. DH wanted to buy another house - but because I'm the one that does all the work inside and outside the house - I want an apt where someone else worries about the yards and repairs. We'll only have SS and our 401s - mind you that our income will be more then than it is now - but to think we wouldn't be allowed to rent because of our income is ridiculous.
I don't thing you'll have a very hard time but my advice would be to try and apply to as much as possible BEFORE you retire. right now I'm in a 4 story townhome so I know this is not a house I can age in (lol way to many stairs and I have bad knees now) I hope to retire in 2 years, I'm already researching places to retire too and get a condo at.

now I won't rent simply because where I live in Philly apartment rents are 1,200 for a studio and up to 2500 for 1-2 bedrooms. no way am I paying that for an apartment.

According to my brother (he is a real estate investor, lives off of 6 rentals) he looks at the entire picture. So he runs credit checks, application ask about your total living expenses.

Why is it ridiculous to look at someone's income before leasing?? If I was a landlord I most certainly would want as much assurance as possible that someone can afford the rent and would be able to pay it. If monthly rent is 2800/month and I see a persons income is only 4000 a month, that would certainly give me pause.

If you wanted to buy a house don't you think you would be required to prove you could afford it?? why is it different if you simply are renting?

Old 10-12-2017, 06:18 AM

10,473 posts, read 5,939,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
I don't thing you'll have a very hard time but my advice would be to try and apply to as much as possible BEFORE you retire. right now I'm in a 4 story townhome so I know this is not a house I can age in (lol way to many stairs and I have bad knees now) I hope to retire in 2 years, I'm already researching places to retire too and get a condo at.

now I won't rent simply because where I live in Philly apartment rents are 1,200 for a studio and up to 2500 for 1-2 bedrooms. no way am I paying that for an apartment.

According to my brother (he is a real estate investor, lives off of 6 rentals) he looks at the entire picture. So he runs credit checks, application ask about your total living expenses.

Why is it ridiculous to look at someone's income before leasing?? If I was a landlord I most certainly would want as much assurance as possible that someone can afford the rent and would be able to pay it. If monthly rent is 2800/month and I see a persons income is only 4000 a month, that would certainly give me pause.

If you wanted to buy a house don't you think you would be required to prove you could afford it?? why is it different if you simply are renting?

Because the poster you quoted clearly implied their holdings and income was sufficient, they were just worried they will be rejected simply for being seniors not drawing a paycheck that can be garnered.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:24 AM

2,879 posts, read 1,408,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Because the poster you quoted clearly implied their holdings and income was sufficient, they were just worried they will be rejected simply for being seniors not drawing a paycheck that can be garnered.
that's why you have to look beyond their income. I know a lot of folks think "they have tons of income" but from a landlord position, many seniors have income that is not available for judgement, if for some reason they cannot pay.

Sure, no one rents a place thinking they won't be able to afford the rent but crap happens and with a person on SS a landlord can be caught holding the bag for a lot of back rent.

In most cases social security is very very hard to garnish. so even with an eviction a landlord is crap out of luck.

if you are a landlord not having some thing to recoup is a serious issue. apartments don't pay for themselves, and if a renter can't pay those bills do not just go away.

so in the previous posters situation I'd definitely want to know her other income streams. Are they from a pension? (also not garnishable in some situations) 401K? what % of this income is from SS. credit history in real estate? things like that.

there is no blanket rule but I do not blame a landlord for being cautious.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:31 AM

23,635 posts, read 17,606,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
that's why you have to look beyond their income. I know a lot of folks think "they have tons of income" but from a landlord position, many seniors have income that is not available for judgement, if for some reason they cannot pay.

Sure, no one rents a place thinking they won't be able to afford the rent but crap happens and with a person on SS a landlord can be caught holding the bag for a lot of back rent.

In most cases social security is very very hard to garnish. so even with an eviction a landlord is crap out of luck.

if you are a landlord not having some thing to recoup is a serious issue. apartments don't pay for themselves, and if a renter can't pay those bills do not just go away.
If you're running into financial problems, it is much better to just leave on your own accord rather than wait for a legal eviction. I've left a couple of apartments before the lease is up - while not great, life happens, and the rent was almost double what you could own a similar unit for. With the market favoring landlords these days, most can make plenty of money.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:39 AM

23,635 posts, read 17,606,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Then you need to own.

If a landlord is spending a lot of money on repairs, given the way things are now, the landlord will just pass those costs on to the tenants. Some tenants may move, but there are plenty more ready to take their place. Same thing with property taxes - the costs get passed on.

My last apartment had poor central HVAC. The heat pump was from 1984 and was about the size of an old, big microwave. Tiny little thing. At best, the apartment would stay about 75 - at worst, it would heat up to above outside temperature. This was in Indiana, so it wasn't like it was in Phoenix or something where you'd expect to struggle.

The landlord did this and that with it - it helped a small amount but it would never get below 70. I had no choice in calling another person out for a second opinion. I couldn't replace it or get it repaired. I had to live with whatever the landlord decided.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:04 AM

11,152 posts, read 8,559,848 times
I just spent months looking for a rental. In the thousands of online listings that I read, I never came across one explicitly stating that SS renters were not allowed. Nor have I seen that listed on any realty website or application.

Does anyone have any actual links?

Old 10-12-2017, 08:07 AM

3,139 posts, read 3,513,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Well, anything that might be legal or not legal, really is black and white. If it's close either way, and obviously something that is unfair, then it's worth pursuing legally, in order to get a new law on the books.

But, as I recall, you were complaining about anyone who was trying to make this about laws, and there's no way to discuss this without it being about laws.

When you want to complain about something being unfair in the world, you are talking about "there ought to be a law" or "isn't there a law...."

So, I have to disagree with you as far as what you originally said about not wanting this to be about the law...then back-pedaling and saying you just didn't want things to be black and white....uh, that makes no sense. If you want things to be firmly gray, then that means you have no rights.

Rights means black and white. This is allowed, that is not.

And what I learned when I was studying law, is that if something seems like it's not reasonable, then it probably isn't - and there is probably a law that says it's not okay.
There' a difference between "complaining" and sharing information with others to raise awareness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement