U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 06:37 PM

2,427 posts, read 1,665,603 times

Advertisements

Some people are still maintaining their yards themselves, but more are using lawn services. It's becoming unusual to see someone taking care of their own lawn.

We both enjoy yard work, it's great exercise and something we do together. It isn't a guy only thing, I would rather do yardwork than housework any day. DH mowed on Sunday and I did the edging and weeding. We had a lawn service when we were snowbirding and kept the guy on when we made FL our full time residence. He didn't come often enough in the summer and isn't as meticulous as we are. So we are back to doing it ourselves.

We tend to be DIYer's whenever possible. Not to save money, as much as aggravation. So less stress and great exercise, that's a win for us. As we age and when yardwork is no longer enjoyable, we'll hire a service again.

Last edited by jean_ji; 10-10-2017 at 06:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 06:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,545 posts, read 39,924,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Around here it's the women! ... The lawn is just one of her obsessions.
same here...we each have many acres to maintain, yet the neighbor gal (age 73) mows her grass (1+ acre) if it grows 1/4"... (Which is frequent at 100+"/yr and 80 months of drizzle (she mows everyday in the springtime Sun + rain) )

Drives my crazy (I can't stand gas (ick ) fumes and noise), I have considered buying her a diesel mower ($10k), but a goat would be even better!

She is not terribly impressed that my lawn grows 8+" sometimes when I am traveling. I just use my farm tractor to mow it if it gets too tall. Little I despise as much as mowing lawn grass (worthless use of fuel and time). She is also not impressed when I use my bulldozer or excavator around the yard to 'plant flowers' (and trees and such). Mine is not 'manicured', but is good enough for my use.

She gets a little 'bent' if the cows tramp around her yard during the 8 month rainy season.

She is quite frail and flustered (about LOTS) Hoping she passes on early, her DH is much more reasonable.

I was not keen that she painted the white tips on all my field fencing green (She claimed the accent of white tips ruined her view). The cows / horses / visiting kids on ATV (and farmers...) are more apt to SEE White Tipped posts to avoid crashing into the barb wire.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:39 PM

10,194 posts, read 12,240,524 times
I like a nice lawn though I don't mow or maintain it myself.

Spent $4500 in the last year re-sodding due to a bug issue.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:53 PM

8,947 posts, read 7,729,944 times
One reason I bought in my single family home HOA was they do all the landscaping. On a 1 to 10 (best) I give it an 8 and the fact that I do not have to do it makes it a 15.......LOL

Yes I am retired but I better things to do with my time.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:10 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,729,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
One reason I bought in my single family home HOA was they do all the landscaping. On a 1 to 10 (best) I give it an 8 and the fact that I do not have to do it makes it a 15.......LOL

Yes I am retired but I better things to do with my time.

I feel pretty much as you do, but there is certainly nothing wrong with folks who enjoy doing all their own lawn and landscaping maintenance. They are outdoors and it is a type of connection with nature. And when things look nice that is a satisfying pay-off too. I think I understand them even though it is not my personal preference.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:12 PM

8,391 posts, read 9,136,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I like a nice lawn though I don't mow or maintain it myself.

Spent $4500 in the last year re-sodding due to a bug issue.
Wow and ok. Where I live no one has a lawn. Just native plants. When we sold our house in a town of 20,000 and moved to the mountains we tossed in our lawn mover for free. Landscaping is not what anyone does where I live.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:15 PM

13,040 posts, read 15,385,717 times
It's always been the same. I am 60 and I remember older retired men doing the same when I was a kid, and ever since. Watching a neighbor take care of his lawn (several acres) as a kid really shaped my thoughts about what I wanted MY home to look like someday. I personally love lawns that are taken care of like that. IMO, lawns that are maintained meticulously by the homeowner look much nicer than lawns taken care of by a lawn service.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:31 PM

18,083 posts, read 22,934,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
DH and I are kind of amazed at the number of older retired men on our street (where we just moved to) who spend crazy amounts of time every day tweezing their yards. I love gardening too however this seems to border on the obsessive. Weather permitting...the blowers come out every day and each fallen leaf is blown away even though it is autumn and there is no stopping the leaves until they are done. Every three or four days the weed trimmers and mowers come out. And then of course daily watering so they can do it all over again. My analyst mind is just wondering what causes this strange obsession with the perfect lawn?
You must have moved next to my ex-husband LOL. I complained that he avoided time with me by spending a ridiculous amount of time detailing the yard. Guess what? His second wife had the same complaint LOL.

Lots of men use this excuse to avoid their wives.

And the funny thing is, when their wives leave them, the women that follow think they will be a good catch because they have such nice properties that are so well cared for. Bwahhahhaaahhaaaahaaaa! Joke's on them. Poor things.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:29 PM

6,954 posts, read 3,860,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Pride- our lawns are one of our projections to the world. Also a well manicured lawn is for some a statement of yes we are doing well. While a less than tidy lawn suggests something else in some of our minds. I for one when driving especially in the neighborhood check out the lawn, curb appeal and make judgements accordingly. I know I am not the only one.
Yes, but since "Pride cometh before the fall" it is now time to let it go a bit, at least until next spring.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:14 AM

24,980 posts, read 23,891,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
You must have moved next to my ex-husband LOL. I complained that he avoided time with me by spending a ridiculous amount of time detailing the yard. Guess what? His second wife had the same complaint LOL.

Lots of men use this excuse to avoid their wives.

And the funny thing is, when their wives leave them, the women that follow think they will be a good catch because they have such nice properties that are so well cared for. Bwahhahhaaahhaaaahaaaa! Joke's on them. Poor things.
LOL! My husband liked to cut grass, but that was it. I got to do all other maintenance and repair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or