U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 05:06 AM

7,108 posts, read 3,466,693 times

Advertisements

My husband's parents made him mow the lawn as a teen. When we married, he said he'd never mow a lawn again...and he didn't. When we divided the household chores, he took dishwashing and laundry and I took lawnmowing.

Now at age 64, we have 2 homes, one in Central MX and one in Central FL. In FL we have a mowing service and in MX we have a gardener. My husband still does the dishes and laundry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 05:40 AM

13,941 posts, read 7,422,661 times
I have a lawn OCD retired neighbor. He's out there riding the John Deere 3x per week mowing and then another pass with the lawn vacuum attachment. I mow mine as little as possible. 2/3 of the back yard is in shade. I mow that every 3 or 4 weeks. The rest I mow weekly if it rains or every-other week if it's dry. I have a small house on a small lot. I can mow the whole yard in 25 minutes. If I'm just doing the front and the side yard that get full sun, it's about 15 minutes. I have a generic Briggs & Stratton push mower so I'm getting a bit of exercise. I like my yard to look nice but I don't have the time or inclination to spend more than an hour per week on that chore.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:55 AM

4,847 posts, read 4,962,112 times
I always look forward to the first snow in October. The stupid grass goes dormant. No need to even think about it until next May.

When I lived in Phoenix, we had bermuda grass that would go dormant around the same time. But then our obsessive neighbors would plant rye grass to grow all winter. WTF?

I'd rather obsess over micro-brewed beers.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:33 AM

29,784 posts, read 34,880,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Yes, but since "Pride cometh before the fall" it is now time to let it go a bit, at least until next spring.
Still perhaps another month to go. The Bermuda should be browning up but the hot weather it hasn't yet. The funny thing is that my lawn looks awesome and gets a lot of complements but at this point I do very little of it. Have a great guy who mows, edges and takes great pride in the grounds and a very high quality professional lawn and landscape service. Use to love doing it myself but when we got the place at the beach it became a royal pain mowing before we left and mowing as soon as we got back etc etc.
Not cheap but well worth it. Lots of landscaping and that company does it all.

For years while working and early retirement much time as possible was put into doing it myself but now it is the pride of without the effort. Sorta like a great meal eating out.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:34 AM

9,638 posts, read 10,348,727 times
I have 2-3 lawn OCD retired neighbors. They are in their 80's and pretty much all they do is maintain their lawn to golf course standards. It's their thing, and i certainly don't fault them for it. They have beautiful homes, and the lawn does add to the beauty. If they want to spend their time on keeping it up, that's their choice.

I'm 36, and when i moved into my house my lawn was in sad shape. After watching them do their thing, and getting some tips, I've managed to get my lawn much more presentable. I don't nearly have the time to do what they do however. Maybe 1 hr/week to mow, and occasionally toss down some fert/seed/weed control. Still, my lawn looks great, and I now understand the sense of pride that comes with a nice looking lawn.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:36 AM

7,983 posts, read 11,667,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
DH and I are kind of amazed at the number of older retired men on our street (where we just moved to) who spend crazy amounts of time every day tweezing their yards. I love gardening too however this seems to border on the obsessive. Weather permitting...the blowers come out every day and each fallen leaf is blown away even though it is autumn and there is no stopping the leaves until they are done. Every three or four days the weed trimmers and mowers come out. And then of course daily watering so they can do it all over again. My analyst mind is just wondering what causes this strange obsession with the perfect lawn?
Probably just trying to stay out of the house I'm always amazed by the number of guys I see just sitting in cars at parks when I'm out bird watching. I can only assume that they went out for a gal of milk and are just taking a longer break.

Of course my sisters hubby is like this in a bigger way and he has a huge pole barn man cave to relax in yet he still obsessively works on clearing 20 acres of what was wonderful habitat and turning into 20 acres of lawn he then complains about having to mow.

Men have control issues.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:41 AM

15,748 posts, read 26,786,222 times
Not retired but I do have to have the best lawn on the street. Not that I am out mowing every three days and leaves are hardly a problem although the occasional palm branch brakes off and I have to pick that up. Around here our trees don't die but stay green year round. The biggest problem we have is the next door neighbors. The family has owned the home since it was built in 1962. Back around that time the owner planted a tree in the back yard. When he was alive I hear he took pride in his home and that tree. This tree is four or five feet from the fence and maybe 40 feet tall. Many of the branches overhand into our yard. We have been trying to remove the branches from the tree above our yard. Also they have ivy and it grows over the fence. Always have to cut that stuff down.

My parents solved their yard problem and don't have to cut the grass anymore. In the back they have a patio and the remainder of the yard is crushed rock with six fruit trees. They live in Arizona and seldom use the back yard. In the front my sister and brother in law installed artificial turf. It looks awesome. Today they have so many different varieties, many are hard to tell that they are fake. My dad will be 80 in April, not that he was the one cutting the grass. My mom has cut it for years. That had been part of her exercise plan since they were in their 50's. Both luckily are still in good shape though.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:44 AM

3,587 posts, read 4,934,422 times
It was a suburban obsession when I was growing up. We had two acres and my brother and I were responsible for it. I promised myself that when I grew up I would never have to do this again, and I haven't. I live in the city with a landscaped garden that does not include grass - just plants, ivy, bushes and trees.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:27 AM

9,398 posts, read 6,272,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
DH and I are kind of amazed at the number of older retired men on our street (where we just moved to) who spend crazy amounts of time every day tweezing their yards. I love gardening too however this seems to border on the obsessive. Weather permitting...the blowers come out every day and each fallen leaf is blown away even though it is autumn and there is no stopping the leaves until they are done. Every three or four days the weed trimmers and mowers come out. And then of course daily watering so they can do it all over again. My analyst mind is just wondering what causes this strange obsession with the perfect lawn?
We budgited lawn care into our retirement plans. I have better things to do han cutting grass.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:49 AM

12,304 posts, read 10,774,658 times
Maybe they enjoy the stink from Roundup and get high from it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or