U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 12:04 PM
Q44

895 posts, read 766,594 times

Advertisements

Really don't like doing yard work at all, but mowing is one of the few things I tolerate. Close to an acre and a half so I have a lawn tractor and I just go out with my headphones blasting music, add the hat and sunglasses and a travel mug of coffee and I'm good for a couple of hours. We planted quite a few tress and flowering bushes and they make it kind of interesting, like an obstacle course.

I let the lawn people do all the weed and feed and grub stuff, not only do I not have to worry about when to apply it, it's actually cheaper than me buying it and trying to get it all down at the right time.

I am looking forward to retirement though so that I can mow any day of the week and not just on my days off. That'll be a bonus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 12:09 PM

899 posts, read 1,522,999 times
My late father would say, "if everyone took care of their own acre the world would be a better place". I am doing my part.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:03 PM

23,785 posts, read 8,287,252 times
As I've aged I have so much of my thinking. I visited my sister when she lived in a city in NJ and good grief those massive lawns, could put up housing for low income folks. All those lawns, what a waste of space. Go to a park.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:10 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,227,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
DH and I are kind of amazed at the number of older retired men on our street (where we just moved to) who spend crazy amounts of time every day tweezing their yards. I love gardening too however this seems to border on the obsessive. Weather permitting...the blowers come out every day and each fallen leaf is blown away even though it is autumn and there is no stopping the leaves until they are done. Every three or four days the weed trimmers and mowers come out. And then of course daily watering so they can do it all over again. My analyst mind is just wondering what causes this strange obsession with the perfect lawn?
in my retirement community its the women who are on the neighborhood message board bitching and moaning about how bad the local landscapers are trashing their lawns, their flowerbeds, scrubs, etc.....when that's your major crisis in life, I argue that you've pretty much got a blessed life.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:13 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,736,635 times
I only really paid attention to these neighbors activities when we noticed the leaf blowers every morning at 8:30a. Otherwise, I would keep my judgements to myself. Where we moved from, the majority of yards were xeriscaped and endless green lawn was a no-no due to drought. Not a big fan of all the weed killer/Roundup either which these guys use a lot of. It seems like something from another decade or two ago.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:01 PM

1,926 posts, read 991,367 times
(hu)man's fruitless attempt to control nature

Old 10-11-2017, 02:19 PM

1,164 posts, read 651,494 times
OP, you must be sitting outside watching my husband every weekend. I think this is his way of de-stressing. He leaves his ever-ringing cell phone inside so he isn't bothered. He pulls every weed out of our big lots and cuts the grass. He has buckets of weeds every week. Our lawn grows practically 12 months a year and in dry season we drag hoses around to water (no automatic sprinklers here). The lawn looks like a field of velvet. Nice, but I think there has to be a balance to life, and time left for fun things. Sheesh!

Old 10-11-2017, 02:22 PM

14,246 posts, read 44,937,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I have a lawn OCD retired neighbor. He's out there riding the John Deere 3x per week mowing and then another pass with the lawn vacuum attachment. I mow mine as little as possible. 2/3 of the back yard is in shade. I mow that every 3 or 4 weeks. The rest I mow weekly if it rains or every-other week if it's dry. I have a small house on a small lot. I can mow the whole yard in 25 minutes. If I'm just doing the front and the side yard that get full sun, it's about 15 minutes. I have a generic Briggs & Stratton push mower so I'm getting a bit of exercise. I like my yard to look nice but I don't have the time or inclination to spend more than an hour per week on that chore.
I do similar - have an old (Garden Way) Troy Bilt mulching mower, and I hit the yard every 2 weeks, here there is so little rain during growing season I can control how much I irrigate, and I don't over-irrigate, so the grass grows more slowly. I try to get a good result considering I only spend about an hour on it, and let it go with that. No HOA or other busybodies to bother me if I let the grass grow a bit long.

I do want the grass to be healthy, but I am not interested in spending the time and effort for a Pebble Beach level of excellence. Remember the guys doing the maintenance at Pebble Beach are getting paid for their efforts, I'm not.

By mulching in the grass clippings, and then the leaves as they fall, I don't generally have to use any fertilizer.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:29 PM

7,981 posts, read 3,469,850 times
Lawn work is a necessity in Florida. Every week the lawn has to be mowed. I think it shows pride of ownership. You can always tell who is struggling by looking at their homes. I'm not obsessive but I'm definitely not a homeowner who never spends a dime on his house. Some people just live there like they are in an apartment. Wondering i suppose who's going to do the work.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:33 PM

872 posts, read 938,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Pride- our lawns are one of our projections to the world. Also a well manicured lawn is for some a statement of yes we are doing well. While a less than tidy lawn suggests something else in some of our minds. I for one when driving especially in the neighborhood check out the lawn, curb appeal and make judgements accordingly. I know I am not the only one.
What a crock of ****. My yard is the land infront of my house, nothing more, nothing less. Frankly the white picket fence, planned flower beds and every house having the same generic "landscape" that is anything but natural looks like fake garbage. Not to mention the chemical run off from suburbia is horrible, just so shallow people can have the manicured grass up front.

You're being insanely pretentious, and yes, my yard looks like ****
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or