U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-13-2017, 09:02 AM
 
Location: Charleston, SC
1,362 posts, read 766,452 times
Reputation: 2428

Advertisements

Gotta love this Centipede Grass in the Carolinas. It grows low to the ground and crowds out the weeds, filling in any bare spots during the season. It needs cutting about every two weeks in the Summer, much less frequently in the Fall. I cut the front yard one week and the back yard the next --takes about a half hour, even with pulling the occasional weed trying to break thru. Half an Hour once a week is nyet problemo.

My rear yard overlooks the Golf Course, so it's like a 10 acre Lot with none of the extra Lawn Maintenance. I got to be friendly with the Greenskeeper and he helps me with the timing of the applications of Weed Killer and Fertilizer. The Timing is everything......the Weed & Feed in the same bag is not correct. Pre-emergent Weed Killer goes down first, Nitrogen Fertilizer is applied much later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-13-2017, 10:24 AM
 
29,775 posts, read 34,860,277 times
Reputation: 11687
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
Gotta love this Centipede Grass in the Carolinas. It grows low to the ground and crowds out the weeds, filling in any bare spots during the season. It needs cutting about every two weeks in the Summer, much less frequently in the Fall. I cut the front yard one week and the back yard the next --takes about a half hour, even with pulling the occasional weed trying to break thru. Half an Hour once a week is nyet problemo.

My rear yard overlooks the Golf Course, so it's like a 10 acre Lot with none of the extra Lawn Maintenance. I got to be friendly with the Greenskeeper and he helps me with the timing of the applications of Weed Killer and Fertilizer. The Timing is everything......the Weed & Feed in the same bag is not correct. Pre-emergent Weed Killer goes down first, Nitrogen Fertilizer is applied much later.
If you like the look and feel of Centipede it is exactly as you describe. Only problem is it can be dominant over other grasses and if your neighbor doesn't have they have to know the tricks to contain which I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2017, 10:36 AM
 
26,589 posts, read 52,277,138 times
Reputation: 20410
It was my 88 year old grandmother with her 1940's push mower that had the best looking home on her block... later when I bought my home it was all the 80+ year old widows with the miracle grow lawn fertilizer and tending to their lawns/gardens...

Not a man around as they had long ago passed away.

For these women it was a reason to get out of bed to spend time enjoying what they loved in homes they had lived for a lifetime... each had one of those porch swings with cushions and would have tea or lemonade late every afternoon...

I just wish we had more people like that... best neighbors ever.

Sadly they are all gone the people that bought could care less... some paved over the lawns... others only "Mow" when they get weed abatement notice from the city... really sad to the point I have been asked if anyone's lives there... from park like to abandonment depending on ownership...

By the way... not a power tool in the group... all hand tools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2017, 02:56 PM
 
2,276 posts, read 848,196 times
Reputation: 3934
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Pride- our lawns are one of our projections to the world. Also a well manicured lawn is for some a statement of yes we are doing well. While a less than tidy lawn suggests something else in some of our minds. I for one when driving especially in the neighborhood check out the lawn, curb appeal and make judgements accordingly. I know I am not the only one.
LMAO, judging a human being's worth by the quality of grass. SMH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2017, 08:59 PM
 
29,775 posts, read 34,860,277 times
Reputation: 11687
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
LMAO, judging a human being's worth by the quality of grass. SMH
One of the criteria many folks use, especially their neighbors in many cases. Count me as one of them. I like well groomed automobiles also. Shined cars with a reflective coat sitting in the driveway of a well landscaped house is impressive to me and others. Realtors and window shopping prospective buyers are usually impressed also. Curious you revived a almost two month old thread to make this point, so out of respect I gave you my updated thoughts.

Last edited by TuborgP; 12-04-2017 at 09:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2017, 09:15 PM
 
6,241 posts, read 4,725,740 times
Reputation: 12780
Maybe this is why I have no interest in a lawn. I also have little or no interest in impressing others. Those who are trying to impress are stuck as followers because they need to follow what others think is impressive. I would rather be independent and set my own goals and achievements. I am satisfied to achieve my own goals especially those that are difficult. If others are impressed that this their concern, not mine. I cannot remember putting wax on a car. I did recently wash one that was starting to turn green with mold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2017, 09:20 PM
 
29,775 posts, read 34,860,277 times
Reputation: 11687
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Maybe this is why I have no interest in a lawn. I also have little or no interest in impressing others. Those who are trying to impress are stuck as followers because they need to follow what others think is impressive. I would rather be independent and set my own goals and achievements. I am satisfied to achieve my own goals especially those that are difficult. If others are impressed that this their concern, not mine. I cannot remember putting wax on a car. I did recently wash one that was starting to turn green with mold.
I take pride in my landscaping and having two well detailed vehicles. Others of similar minds often comment and discuss methods, treatments, products etc. others like you could care less, I get that. That’s what’s great about it all. Want to know how bad it is? I pay $170 a month for unlimited car washes ( both cars) that includes interior and exterior hand drying, leather cleaning, cleaning and tire gloss etc. Again only responding with more clarification. I do additional exterior layering myself.

https://www.autobell.com

Last edited by TuborgP; 12-04-2017 at 09:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2017, 09:32 PM
 
Location: Near Manito
19,520 posts, read 20,898,162 times
Reputation: 13855
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
LMAO, judging a human being's worth by the quality of grass. SMH
Sounds like Woodstock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2017, 09:35 PM
 
29,775 posts, read 34,860,277 times
Reputation: 11687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Sounds like Woodstock.
So true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2017, 12:58 AM
 
4,432 posts, read 2,609,683 times
Reputation: 10299
We get the lawn mower when it needs it.

But there are several including my next door neighbors, both of whom mow every 4 days, and two doors down who literally miss every other day. On a tractor on a postage stamp sized front lawn. Our back yards are sizable, though. It's not even a small tractor, it's a HUGE John Deere tractor, three swipes and done.
Makes no sense to me.

We are often the worst lawn on the block because I'm disabled and now with cardiac issues, my OH doesn't want me doing it. But my OH has two jobs, so time to mow between daylight and rain is limited. Plus my OH, well mowing isn't the the favorite thing to do.

If we had the extra funds, I'd buy the $1000 mower Wally World had for a small rider mower. But maybe next year.

I kind feel sorry for those who are retired and have nothing better yo do than tend their lawns. But at least they are busy. I think some may think they need to be busy while the wife cleans house?

Speaking of which, maybe I should attempt one last mowing, I have to do it in stages though. The last leaves have fallen, maybe I should mow it while there's time before snow.. it'll take me a half a day...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top