U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 03:17 PM

1,076 posts, read 813,859 times

Advertisements

DH is 69 and STILL working full time because he loves his job, is waaay better than good at it which his boss acknowledges, he is hypertensive type A and doesn't know how not to work.

I, on the other hand, am a laid back Type B and while I had to retire due to health issues, I miss work like a toothache at a turkey dinner.

I now spend all my spare time with my horses, the days fly by, and I don't take anything for granted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 03:23 PM

88,104 posts, read 3,673,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Not for everyone. I've retired twice and have gone back to work both times, now I work 40 per, and love it. I have a shop where I build cars as a hobbyist, but you can only play with your toys so much.

I found my health deteriorating, my mental sharpness slipping, and I was bored as Hell. Not all of us dislike our jobs, for some of us it is stimulating and rewarding. I've known too many people who couldn't wait to retire, and a year later they were 6 feet under.
And I bet you've known many who couldn't wait to retire, and are still alive and well and loving retirement after many years.

Old 10-12-2017, 03:39 PM

2,080 posts, read 874,674 times
A good question would be how long do those retirees keep working when they do go back to work.
I retired at 59, but my wife was still working. I lasted a year home alone and got tired of it. I went back to work for two additional years until my SS started, at which point my wife was also retired and I retired for good.
When I decided to go back to work I told my wife I probably would have to get a job that required working nights and weekends and that is what happened. I had a one hour commute each way and worked 7PM to 7AM on an alternating 3 and 4 day/week schedule, followed by 3 or 4 days off after each work week. On my off days I would revert to a day shift life, then revert back for the work week. Luckily the commute was against the flow of traffic but I was working and commuting 14 hours or more a day. It was hard, fast paced work but I loved doing it. I basically was just working, driving and sleeping during the work week, then switching gears on my days off. I was surprised I found no age discrimination at all. I was in the computer field and my employer was happy to have someone with experience and a good work ethic who could work on their own and get the job done. Between my salary and my pension I actually made about 30% more than I had been making before I retired. In every way it was a win. When I got my first SS check at 62 I packed it in. I didn't need the money and couldn't see why I couldn't be just as happy at home, doing whatever I wanted when I wanted. I've been fully retired for 9 years, never get bored, and never desired to work again.

Last edited by bobspez; 10-12-2017 at 03:51 PM..

Old 10-12-2017, 04:48 PM

982 posts, read 608,186 times
I plan to retire in 6 years at my FRA of 66.6 which is when all my numbers line up best. This will be a culmination of a 45 year nursing career, and honestly don't think beyond that age I would be capable of giving 100% to the patients in my care so it's best to hand the baton to another who can.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:34 PM

13,978 posts, read 7,446,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I totally buy this. I am constantly amazed at the numbers. The median net worth of people my age is like $200,000, including home equity. The average SS check is something like $1,300. Now how the Hell are you going to retire with these numbers?
Yep. $1,360 as of December 2016. So half of retirees get less than that. I suspect a lot of people start collecting at age 62 while continuing to work because it's "free money". When they hit the point where they can no longer work, they have a big problem. The problem is going to get worse as the people hitting age 62 are impacted by the change of FRA to 67. If you're born in 1960, your age 62 check is a heck of a lot less than if you were born in 1950.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:43 PM

9,222 posts, read 9,292,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
One-third of those who retire actually come back to the labor market and take another full-time job, according to Deutsche Bank’s Torsten Sløk.

This “reverse retirement” rate is higher for workers in the highest and lowest income quintiles, as shown in the chart below.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/o...150256531.html
My recently retired 67 year old sister is getting another job.

However, there are specific reasons for it. She decided after retiring that she needed a new car and that she wanted to money to fix up and hopefully pay off the new house she purchased.

I don't put her retirement into the "went back to work because she had too" category. More like she went back to work to enjoy a particular lifestyle.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:57 PM

13,978 posts, read 7,446,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I don't put her retirement into the "went back to work because she had too" category. More like she went back to work to enjoy a particular lifestyle.
That's why I'm still working. I'm financially independent but my retirement math says I take a lifestyle cut I prefer to not take if I stop working now.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:41 PM

2,223 posts, read 939,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
One-third of those who retire actually come back to the labor market and take another full-time job, according to Deutsche Bank’s Torsten Sløk.

This “reverse retirement” rate is higher for workers in the highest and lowest income quintiles, as shown in the chart below.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/o...150256531.html
While I have no need or desire to work again, I would be foolish to say no to any knock your socks off offer that might be presented to me.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:57 AM

1,212 posts, read 711,151 times
Ain't happening.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:22 AM

2,593 posts, read 3,574,734 times
This is why I'll retire in the 3rd world most likely in Asia or Latin America.

Only the top 10% can afford to retire in the US.

You can live quite well on $1,500 a month in some places in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or