Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 12:37 PM

4,268 posts, read 6,276,294 times

Advertisements

I don't know that I'd work FULL-time after retiring, but I do plan on working part-time, about 20 hours a week. My reasoning is that a little extra pin money would be nice (the pin money would be set aside for splurge spending outside of normal expenses), as well as the social interaction.

If I didn't work at least SOME I know I'd become a couch potato. I know myself well enough to know that. *lol*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 12:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,660 posts, read 57,778,624 times
As a farmer (livestock requires a few minutes / day of 'work') and income property owner, (I have to fill out tax forms, send property tax payments...and manage a few maint issues / yr) I will never meet the Mandatory Rules of C-D Retirement forum (i.e. narrow thinkers)

That's OK, I have never desired to be a 'conformist'

16 yrs 'retired' (in MY eyes) and still a LONG ways from SS age...

'works' for me (the farm, farm dog, and rentals / commercial properties and (active) investments survived just fine when I was gone out of USA 100% of the last 'election yr' 2016)

My grandfather farmed till age 93, so really there is no need for me to seek "C-D defined retirement", (restricted to the couch... I don't have a TV and certainly no time for the couch!) I am free to do what I want today, yesterday, tomorrow, and in 10 yrs from now (and the last 16 yrs behind me) and ACTUALLY, since the day I left Dairy Farm Boarding school at age 15!

Most of my retiree peers are far more engaged in the community (yes WORKING, usually for FREE!) and their families than before retirement, so I consider I am blessed to have GREAT (active) 'retired' friends! Many have (worked) to built homes / churches / camps ...

Quite honestly there is becoming such a lack of "DOERS" (or those knowledgeable enough to be DOERS), I hope I never find time for the couch.

Very interesting blurb on NPR today about the 'progression' of humanity in the age of digital communication.

fear / actuality = people are becoming much less able to think / make decisions independently (they rely (depend) on feedback / web / ratings / 'reputation points'! / i.e. conforming
(the final premise perceived to be... in 50 yrs... someONE will own the information (Cloud / web), and thus CONTROL the thought processes for humans... the next innovation / revolt will be the leader who recognizes this and brings humans, back into humanity ! (That will be difficult!)

"Let me outta here!"

Old 10-18-2017, 04:28 PM

813 posts, read 1,130,978 times
I retired at 33/34 and have never had an interest in going to work for somebody else. Yesterday, was my 30th anniversary of retirement!

When Manhattan became to expensive to live in 15 years ago, I cashed out and came to Peru. Got married and had two children ( 2 & 12). Two years ago we all started collecting SS, 35k which covers over half my annual spend.

I was fortunate to buy an oceanfront condo for 100k, that is worth close to 400k now. No car, no homeowners insurance, RE taxes at $500/yr to live in a beautiful district with amazing services (free ambulance/towing service) security cameras everywhere, a private security force rides around on motorcycles and bicycles and segway's with cameras on their helmets to see everything. Grocery boys carry your groceries to your door. Two world class hospitals in my town. Two of the World's top 50 restaurants in my neighborhood plus hundreds of others vying to get on the list. Friendly people, when I get on a bus everyone gets up and offers me their seat, even people older. In stores they call me Maestro or Doctor. When I walk down the street old women cry and young girls squeal! OK, that last part was out of a famous song, but occasionally I get "come hither" looks from women.

Old 10-18-2017, 05:55 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,789,658 times
Just because something is reported online, doesn't make it true. I think the second-hand numbers in this skimpy article are skewed to support the article title. What is the actual proof and criteria that says one-third of all retirees are going back to work full time? I'm not buying it!

Old 10-19-2017, 12:12 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,551,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
Most people who end up working a pt job after retiring from their full time one is because they NEED the money...plain and simple.Their retirement isn't going far enough.Those who get a pt job because they want to...great for them but most people end up getting a pt because of finances not being too good.

My wife went back to work full time because she was bored with retirement. She just likes to be busy. We already have a five figure monthly income, so we certainly didn't need the money. As for me, I'm going to continue to enjoy me retirement.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:15 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,551,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
One lady did ask if I really needed the money since I was retired and received a pension. Hey - it feels good to get a real paycheck! A pension just isn't the same.

It's all green to me. The fact that I don't have to do anything for those monthly checks makes it that much sweeter.

Old 10-19-2017, 04:30 AM

7,153 posts, read 9,256,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
More data than the original Yahoo article.
https://www.bls.gov/careeroutlook/20...er-workers.htm

Personally, at age 69, I keep working (sort of) because it is easy and I like the money. It pays for travel and kitchen remodels.
^^^This.

A consulting contract is pure discretionary income. I think about this way: "If I work x days, I net y dollars that can be blown without guilt on the next item on my prioritized list."

I spent a lifetime acquiring my skill and if the company is willing to pay my rate and I have some free time, why not go for it. It's zero stress for me. I can quit any time I like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement