Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 09:45 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times

Advertisements

Probably with my family, then out of town after lunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 10:01 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,245 times
me and my SOs (I have two) will be avoiding the traditional drama, violence, and bad food. We will all be thankful . You should join us Jim....... at your house, of course

Everyone is welcome! Even couples. poor things.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:04 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
We will go out for a special dinner together and make a point of talking about family far away.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:11 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,191,341 times
Our church usually has a Thanksgiving potluck on the Sunday before Thanksgiving Day, and we always attend that. One thing I usually do is some reading about the first Thanksgiving, as my ancestors were present at that event. This years event is still up in the air - we may possibly go to a married daughter's home, but we do not stay too long, as her husband is a working graduate student and will be working [telecommuting] that day.

Or, possibly may have a new oven by then, and may roast a small turkey and stay home! Not sure yet!

Old 10-11-2017, 10:12 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingercoyote View Post
Friendsgiving! You may have friends, neighbors etc. in the same situation. Plan a potluck Thanksgiving ( you provide turkey) everyone else brings a dish and byob. This can be a lot of fun. The potluck aspect keeps the work to a minimum and you may enjoy it so much it becomes an annual event.

A good movie and Chinese food. This can be out and about or Netflix and take out.

Plan a fun getaway. If you are retired that gives you some travel flexibility. Right this minute a walk along a deserted beach with some tasty seafood afterwards sounds like a fantastic Thanksgiving. If you are lucky enough to find a cottage with a fire pit, even better.
Ha, that's what my husband and I did when we lived near Denver. The Asian strip restaurants there were open on US holidays, so we would get great Chinese food--dim sum sometimes--on Thanksgiving and Christmas! The restaurants were busy because restaurant owners' relatives had the day off from their jobs, and those relatives preferred authentic Chinese food to turkey and ham.

We really, really miss those fantastic Chinese and Vietnamese restaurants. They are now a day's drive away, over several mountain passes. The local turkey day buffet is OK but not great.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:15 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
me and my SOs (I have two) will be avoiding the traditional drama, violence, and bad food. We will all be thankful . You should join us Jim....... at your house, of course

Everyone is welcome! Even couples. poor things.
You have two SOs? Cool...probably makes for more fun than the typical nuclear-family dysfunctional dynamics.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:43 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
You have two SOs? Cool...probably makes for more fun than the typical nuclear-family dysfunctional dynamics.
Oh, definitely. Because polygamy is totally devoid of drama.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:04 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,104 times
My adult daughter and I will spend Thanksgiving at an event at an animal sanctuary, petting the turkeys (and other animals) and having a vegan dinner.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:14 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,737,232 times
My wife and I used to go to a nice restaurant/hotel for a drink or two and a leisurely, traditional Thanksgiving Day dinner. She hated cooking.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:14 PM

15,963 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I will be at relatives for dried out over cooked turkey, cold ham, watching non stop drama, arguing and kids sitting next to one another texting on their stupid machines. I wish I could just stay here, smoke some ribs and have an enjoyable day.

NYgal1542, here you go, THIS is an interesting response. It makes me feel better already that we are going to be by ourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement