U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 01:50 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,168,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by benintendi View Post
I went to the DHHS office today and it seems my social security has been approved.
Well that is good news however this thread was supposedly about SSI which NOT Social Security but is Supplemental income actually Welfare. It is administered by Social Security but comes out of the General Tax fund, not Social Security funds.

So which is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 02:02 PM

9 posts, read 4,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
Well that is good news however this thread was supposedly about SSI which NOT Social Security but is Supplemental income actually Welfare. It is administered by Social Security but comes out of the General Tax fund, not Social Security funds.

So which is it?
Not sure it was just labeled as Social Security on the paperwork.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:49 PM

9 posts, read 4,359 times
Quote:
Not sure it was just labeled as Social Security on the paperwork.
i just got off the phone with the Concord office and it was indeed my SSI.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:03 PM

3,139 posts, read 3,505,046 times
SSI is a monthly payment for persons declared "disabled" to work and who did not pay in enough, or at all, to the SS fund over the years so they do not qualify for SSD. SSA administers the program but the money does not come from applicant's contribution. When you apply for SSD if you don't have enough paid in or never worked then SSA applies you for SSI automatically.
OP , if you haven't applied in your county for Medicaid you probably should. Based on being declared "disabled" by SSA and being low income you would probably qualify.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:28 PM

21,534 posts, read 43,972,276 times
Quote:
i just got off the phone with the Concord office and it was indeed my SSI.
SSI is an acronym for Supplemental Security Income - not Social Security Income.

https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-eligibility-ussi.htm

Acronyms:

SS - Social Security
SSI - Supplemental Security Income
SSDI - Social Security Disability Insurance

https://www.ssa.gov/redbook/eng/overview-disability.htm

Old 10-17-2017, 07:33 PM

1,924 posts, read 987,556 times
congratulations. I hope it makes your life more comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or