U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 05:36 PM

364 posts, read 552,868 times

Advertisements

The worst thing is hospital acquired infections. My brother just passed away from a massive C. Diff. infection developed while he was recovering from pneumonia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 01:57 AM

Location: I'm out searching for me... If you see me, let me know... ;--)
3,337 posts, read 1,832,945 times
Wanting to go home but finding out your stay will be extended a day longer... Or two!

I am in the hospital Now!!

I woke up unable to breath Sun., went to the hospital Monday and diagnosed with low oxygen levels.

Here I am due to my oxygen level being triggered by the the rhino-infection virus or the common cold!

Maybe I can go home tomorrow... maybe not. :-/

Last edited by Wild Flower; 10-19-2017 at 02:32 AM..

Old 10-19-2017, 02:10 AM

Location: I'm out searching for me... If you see me, let me know... ;--)
3,337 posts, read 1,832,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna25 View Post
The worst thing is hospital acquired infections. My brother just passed away from a massive C. Diff. infection developed while he was recovering from pneumonia.
I am sorry for your loss. I know it happens but to learn of your brothers passing away from it makes me very sad.

I feel silly for complaining about being in the hospital.

Please take great care, Johanna.

Last edited by Wild Flower; 10-19-2017 at 02:34 AM..

Old 10-19-2017, 12:23 PM

23,691 posts, read 8,243,442 times
For me, Everything. I was in the hospital 3 times in my 79 yrs and HOPE I never step foot in one again. Well, 4 that is to have a baby in early 60's.

Old 10-19-2017, 02:54 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,377,206 times
I have not read all of these, but personally, my PET PEEVE is them coming in 4 times per night to wake you up! When you are sick/recovering/not well, you NEED sleep. Hey, if the patient is not a fresh post op...let them SLEEP! (obviously V/S are important if a fresh post op and require more constant monitoring.)

Old 10-19-2017, 03:00 PM

2,474 posts, read 904,415 times
I had a heart bypass in '96 and was in the hospital for almost a week. My biggest complaint was not being able to really wash up until later during the stay. Food wasn't always great, either. But I also knew that I was lucky to be alive.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:04 PM

219 posts, read 110,733 times
I had open heart surgery 3 years ago and the worst thing was those darn leads I was attached to. I couldn't move without getting tangled up in them. The other thing that I hated was not being able to get the bed at quite the right elevation for sleep and kept sliding down on it. I was quite immobile during that time (couldn't move my upper body much) and had to keep calling the nurse to readjust the bed. Hated having to rely on others for my comfort.

Old 10-20-2017, 01:36 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,540,572 times
I hate hospitals. I have not had a lot of luck in doctors, the last fix to the old surgery I had a disastor. I warned him it wouldn't work that way. I told him what my origional surgeron told me to tell anyone who did more. As this quack did exactly what I told him would not work, and it didn't, and its very dicey to manage now, I will expect any other doctor has to sign something saying that if this causes any worsening of the situation they will be sued. Have them sign something establishing that I had warned then specifically of what not to do, but they did not take my warning, and should the situation happen, they will be sued.

Maybe there won't be another one but it would be better than the last idiot.

But when I've been in the hospital, I did my best to make sure they wanted to get rid of me asap.

I'm a day sleeper. Nurses bring food and try to wake you up when your not hungry. Then evening comes and they assume your are going to sleep. Me, night is the time to be wide awake. And I am. Last time, I came with a backpack of writing to do, and sat up at night writing and slept all day.

I was sleepy during the day. I was wide awake at night. Didn't want breakfast unless they held it for noon at least. Then they kept turning off the light while I was setting up my writing. I just turned them on again. I had the tv on too, little sound for background noise. Night nurse said I should be sleeping, perplexed. I looked up from my writing and said I wasn't sleepy. She gave up. I won. Said not to touch my stuff. Went to sleep with the backpack where they couldn't get it without waking me up.

And the main reason I won't go to a hospital unless I have a signed document from this doctor that establishes he will do NO procedure unless I have approved it.

But the worse part, why I won't go near one unless its really major, is the first time did not go well. The results were a mess. As i was warned, there was a tear. It healed okay, but no more tension could be created.

The origional doctor warned me that they couldn't do another 'fix'. But the doctor I was seeing did not believe me. He was wrong. Before, I'd explained in detail. Before anyone touches me again, they sign a paper saying they will do no procedure I do not explicietly agree to. Or I will sue them.

Last time I was in the hospital, something else, I was bored out of my skull. I had my backpack of story stuff and wrote at night. When they said lights off I just turned them on again. It was a very good story and I dedicated it to the nurses who gave up and let me write.

Why do hospitals thing everyone likes to wake up at 6 and crash at 9pm????? I'm wide awake and busy at nine and just getting to sleep at six....so when I say just leave me alone, leave me alone.

Last edited by nightbird47; 10-20-2017 at 02:37 PM..

Old 10-23-2017, 01:22 PM

23,580 posts, read 17,553,447 times
The scariest thing about hospitals to me is coming out with something like MRSA - getting something in the hospital and ending up far worse than you came in as!

Old 10-24-2017, 10:26 PM

8,614 posts, read 9,678,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
The worst thing about my most recent hospital experience was the recovery room.

We were told that immediately following surgery I would be moved to the recovery area, where I would stay for about an hour. Then I would be transported to my room and my husband could accompany me there.

I came out of the anesthesia a little groggy and tried to pull the oxygen mask off my face. I'm an asthmatic and instinctively hate having something over my nose and mouth. The nurse came over and yelled at me, then put it back into place. I must have passed out then because I came to a couple of hours later, still in the recovery room. Eventually the nurse from hell came over and I motioned for her to remove the mask. I said I was thirsty, could I have some ice chips? She laughed sarcastically and said, "Oh, I wish I had a nickel for every time I've heard THAT." Then she walked off, presumably to torment someone else.

My neurosurgeon stopped by to see how I was and told me there was a mixup with the room -- the previous pt hadn't vacated it yet. I thanked him and closed my eyes. When I woke again, I'd been there six hours and my husband was standing next to me. Someone (I think the nurse practitioner who works with my neurosurgeon) had retrieved him from the waiting room. He told me how he'd been spending his time. The waiting room outside the surgical suite at Stanford is pretty sophisticated and the staff had kept him apprised of my activity. Or rather, the lack of it.

9 hours after my surgery, I was finally moved to my room, a few minutes short of 10 pm. I asked my new nurse if I could get something to eat, since I had not eaten at all that day. She said, "Well, the kitchen is closed..." But one of the staff hit the vending machines for me and brought back sandwiches, pudding cups, granola bars... I was very grateful to get them and ate everything, albeit slowly.

I have nothing but good to say about Stanford's ward nurses. They have always been caring and helpful. I don't know where they got that creature in the recovery room -- so unlike the rest of the staff. Some day she's going to smart off to the wrong patient, a big donor or a tech billionaire and with any luck, end up in a nursing home emptying bedpans.

Reading about your recovery room nurse makes me remember my experience with one two weeks ago! I woke up with someone, literally, yelling at me to "OPEN YOUR EYES!!!", and I tried. Too bright lights, close eyes and get yelled at again. My throat was so dry I couldn't talk but I sure wanted to shut her up! lol I think she did go away and leave me be for a while because next thing I knew I was in a room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or