U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 06:54 PM

6,213 posts, read 2,871,412 times

Advertisements

1: the over inflated bills ,that send ya back in after reading them!!
2: lights..constantly on. Then off...then on...
3: the food
4:getting a professional to properly notate the patients concerns.

Had the professionals 'listened' or addressed a family members concern,I've no doubt it would have saved them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 07:16 PM

9,682 posts, read 15,871,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
The stupidest thing that happened to my MinL while in the hospital was them waking her up in the middle of the night to weigh her. Then there were 3-5 other times that a person showed up to do something else but the weight was unbelievable. How can anyone attempt to get well when they get no sleep?

When I had abdominal surgery with a 6 inch incision, I did not even get to stay long enough to have a meal. I was so out of it, did not remember the evening I spent there and was home before lunch.
Yep, I had the same thing happen while in the hospital. About 3 am, they came in with the scales, wanting to get my weight! And it was the oldest, noisiest, rattle-trap scale I'd ever seen! I was awake long before it came into my room, it rattled and clanged all the way down the hall. I remembered asking them don't you think a person has to sleep sometime? To which they replied there was only one scale shared among 3 floors, so that was the only time they could get it. I call BS! This was a poor, struggling hospital and I was a Medicaid patient, that was all that could be afforded, right? Baloney! This was the world-famous, world-class, Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX! Has anyone ever seen that place? Its decorated like a first-class resort! Yet they can't afford basic equipment?

Also, they were in and out all night long, for things like blood tests, blood pressure, etc, yet no one thought to check the IV. It ran out and air got in the line. Perhaps it was fortunate I was kept awake, after all! I remembered clamping it off, as I really don't think air in your veins does one any good, yet when I put on my call light for help, they stomped in and pulled the IV out, and charted that I had refused the IV. I was in there for a bone infection, and IV antibiotics were crucial.

Oh, and if I dared put on the call light to go to the bathroom (I was a fall risk and needed assistance), when they left they would leave the lights on and the door wide open! Hard to sleep like that! Then I put the call light on the request they turn the light off and shut the door, so, they came in and turned off every light except one I couldn't control from my bedside, and leave the door cracked open! I was so sleep deprived by the time I left I felt I was having a breakdown! Yep, that's Methodist Hospital!

Old 10-12-2017, 07:22 PM

31,680 posts, read 19,984,454 times
I hate the food, and be woke ever couple hours for BP and stuff. Luckily it's been awhile since i've had an over night stay.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 10-12-2017, 07:27 PM

9,682 posts, read 15,871,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selogic View Post
I'll be dammed . The same thing happened to me . Came in my room dragging a scale and banging into everything about midnight .
Such is pure patient abuse! Many years ago it was common to yank a patient away while in the middle of eating for tests, etc. After many protests, finally, most hospitals respect a patient's right to eat. However, they still don't seem to realize a patient needs sleep as well. Night shift nurses can really be abusive, since usually there's no visitors/family around to advocate for the patient

Old 10-12-2017, 07:32 PM

15,149 posts, read 19,767,371 times
I can sleep anywhere and anytime so being awakened in the middle of the night to take a sleeping pill or have blood drawn doesnt bother me. And I'm pretty easy-going -- dont mind the food or the mattresses or anything else, really. In all my hospitalizations I've never had to share a room but that would probably be my biggest gripe if it ever happens.

I was in ICU for 10 days (after emergency surgery for a stroke) and, although I dont remember a lot of it, I do recall that the night nurse there was pretty mean, cursing me out for having high blood pressure on her shift. (I think my blood pressure rose whenever I saw her walking to my bed.)

Old 10-12-2017, 07:38 PM

216 posts, read 114,404 times
In the last 4 years have been hospitalized 16 times. Mattresses could make a huge difference. The food was fair.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:44 PM

2,212 posts, read 934,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I just spent 36 hours in the hospital. Atrial-fibrillation and with pneumonia in the left lung. A new wrinkle to add to premature ventricular complexes or contractions.
Now a-fib won't kill me, but it could cause a clot to lead to a stroke, and the pneumonia was a total surprise to us all, staff and me and my OH and a close friend who accompanied my OH to the ER.

I think the worst thing is trying to sleep in a hospital. They gave me a sedative to put me to sleep. I slept for all of one hour before some....ahem....nurses aid came in at 12 midnight to take bp with a malfunctioning automatic bp machine, then in my lucid state tried taking my watch off!!! I said "' what the (heck) you doing? '". She said she needed my watch off to take bp. I said "'(horsepuckies), they had been taking it all day with the watch ON my wrist'".
Than at 3:50 ( by the clock on the wall and my still on watch), the vampire came in,
then at 5 am they came in to take yet another EKG.

At 6:30 They took me down for Echo cardiogram.

So my "sedative/ sedated sleep" was severely disrupted.

Many think the food sucks, but I find the food quite palatable.

It's sleeping when ill and (usually exhausted), I miss when in the hospital.

How about you? What do you hate about being in (admitted) the hospital?

People touching me that I’ve never met before. I get that they’re professionals and all, but that doesn’t mean I like it. Another one is trying to rest when someone keeps coming in my room.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:58 PM

5,846 posts, read 8,609,403 times
The person in the next bed who has a perverse need to have their TV blaring all night.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:01 PM

10,309 posts, read 11,227,747 times
Probably the risk of death.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:13 PM

789 posts, read 371,179 times
I hate the bathroom situation. Either I have an IV attached to me that I have to unplug and drag along with me, or I have a roommate that I have to share the bathroom with, and the bathroom is on their side of the room and going to it is disrupting them every time I gotta go and I go a lot, especially when I have an IV in. Or I have an open back gown that I need to keep closed as I am shuffling along to the bathroom. Ugh.

Even when we stay at a hotel, or a friend's house I always hate the bathroom situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or