U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 11:02 AM

4,125 posts, read 3,777,519 times

Advertisements

Don't ever leave a family member alone in the hospital. Have family stay there with them, in shifts, 24/7. Ask questions until you understand the entire plan. Watch that meds are given on time. Watch that the wrong meds are NOT given. Know the plan, and ask questions anytime that anything seems to be inconsistent with the plan.

As for sleep, guard the patient and ask for an order that patient only be woken for crucial labs/vitals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 11:44 AM

910 posts, read 529,124 times
I think one thing I detest about hospitals is the risk of getting a secondary infection that could kill you.

My mother had knee surgery and got pneumonia partly because they did not get her up enough and partly because she was right next to a laundry facility that would blow air in her room that really bothered her.

A man at church needed spinal surgery and his insurance would only cover it at one specific hospital that was known for a surgical facility that had an outbreak of a deadly infection. He begged to change facilities but was denied. Unfortunately he actually contracted a bad infection like he feared. It took months but he managed to beat it.

My 58 years old aunt (yes, 58) had her knee replaced and contracted MRSA in the hospital. She died after a 6 week long battle with the infection. This was so shocking and totally unexpected.

Old 10-13-2017, 12:29 PM

255 posts, read 121,305 times
Worst thing: Trying to win over patient trust and not succeeding

Best thing: Putting a child and parent at ease
Receiving a simple thanks

Old 10-13-2017, 12:53 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,293,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
very true
very possible...

or worse... a medical accident (inattentive hospital procedure) that leaves you maimed or a vegetable for the next 30 yrs. or so has happened to more than a few

(Had an uncle that went in for a simple elective surgery at age 59, and came out a quadriplegic)
Their 'retirement' was quite changed....

The motorhome, farm, and tractors had to be sold to cover the costs of remodeling the house for ADA access.
OMG, that is so horrible!!

Old 10-13-2017, 05:11 PM

6,345 posts, read 7,822,618 times
Default Sharing a Room

Not the roommate particularly, but I live alone and am used to staying up late with the TV, (I do keep the volume low), reading, (I need a light for that), and I want the curtains between the beds CLOSED.

The worst thing about a roomie is they have visitors who seem to come at all hours and stay as late as they like. I recall something about Visiting Hours being certain set times and only two at a time. Now, it's a free for all and on one of my hospital stays, there was an actual party, complete with Kentucky Fried Chicken and a couple bottles of wine for the six visitors. Really? A nurse came in and dispersed that group but I'm sure they thought I complained because they all gave me the stink-eye as they left. (I didn't) Whatever happened to that voice that came over the intercom that said, "Visiting hours are now over."?

Old 10-13-2017, 05:20 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,640,290 times
The worst thing is knowing that anyone pops in the room even for a split second you are going to get billed hundreds of dollars, and it feels like a swarm of parasites wanting to descend to do things to you that are not necessary.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:46 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,933,187 times
The heavy inflate-deflate cuffs they put on your legs. They claim it's to prevent venous stasis in your legs but, believe me...it's to make doubly sure you don't try to get out of that bed. Strapping patients to their bed which was commonplace once upon a time, is a no-no these days. So they do this instead. Insurance companies apparently now require it. Falls are expensive. I still say straps are cheaper.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 10-13-2017 at 08:13 PM..

Old 10-13-2017, 08:00 PM

6,213 posts, read 4,718,283 times
Medical errors kill tens of thousands of patients each year. Most of those errors occur in hospitals.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:31 PM

2,633 posts, read 3,372,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Medical errors kill tens of thousands of patients each year. Most of those errors occur in hospitals.

Agree.

The worst thing about a hospital stay is the increased risk of death.

My father has only been in the hospital briefly since becoming severely disabled. The number of mistakes, miscommunications, and sloppy contaminations are truly shocking. Most people who are patients have no idea. Blind trust can be a nice thing. Sometimes it is worse when you know a lot about medicine and see all of the errors, and it is definitely worse when you are a complicated patient.

We have to stay with my father around the clock for his safety. If you have complicated medical conditions that the average doctor is not familiar with this, you understand. My father has a spinal cord injury. Hospitals to him mean pressure sores, urinary tract infections, blood clots, impactions and.... increased risk of death from whatever put him in the hospital in the first place. When we stay with him, we prevent those complications from happening.

Everyone needs a strong advocate when they are in the hospital.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:42 PM

9,949 posts, read 22,172,148 times
The terribly uncomfortable bed, the vampire doctor sending in his minions 50 million times a night for more blood using every vein they could get til they ran out of veins, the stupid leg pressure cuffs constantly in motion, the constant chatter of everyone all around, doctors coming in checking vitals, etc, the sucky food, and no sleep for 3 days. Ok, so I maybe got an hour. Too many tests, not enough alone time. They should leave us alone for one full day to actually recover and let us sleep. And instead of a gurney mattress to lay on, how about a nice bed against the wall? One that lays flat. Imagine that.

You know, after my hospital stay a few years back, before I went in, I was having difficulty getting used to our new memory foam mattress. Thought it was the hardest most unyielding thing on earth, even though we would sink into it. When I got out of the hospital, the bed became the best on earth. That's all I had to do was go into the hospital for 3 days to really appreciate what I had at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or