Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 08:21 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,189,978 times

Advertisements

I'm a patient with bad veins! I'm a difficult poke and almost always need the SWAT team or the RN with the ultrasound machine in order to get an iv line inserted. Then, it takes multiple visits from phlebotomist to get successful blood draws for testing.

The hospital could easily insert this information in the patient's MR [medical record], so staff would know this immediately, but they do not do it. The lab records are kept separately from the MR's. I know the person assigning the blood draws does not have access to the patient's MR, but medical person could star a "difficult poke person" with an asterisk, and then the lab could send their "ace" person around, but they do not do this. And if the patients tells them this, no matter. They try themselves first. This lack of record keeping/record integration causes me, the patient, a lot of physical pain.

This happens to be my #1 pet peeve about my local hospital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 08:29 PM

22,823 posts, read 6,432,246 times
My husband says the beds are never comfortable....I never noticed that when I was in for various surgeries.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:46 PM

6,768 posts, read 5,481,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
My husband says the beds are never comfortable....I never noticed that when I was in for various surgeries.
The bed in the room ( with inflating mattress) isn't so bad.

It's the gurneys or stretchers in the ER that are a bane to my tailbone.
I was kept in the ER awaiting a bed for 3 nights, finally the third day my OH went to the patient advocate who got me a regular bed instead of that stupid stretcher with a 3 in ch foam mattress. Naturally then my bed opened up in the middle if the night. No sleep that night either.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:00 PM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,640 times
It really is the noise. The hospital is no place to recuperate from surgery.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:57 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,519,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
I think the worst thing about being in a hospital is whatever it is that took me to the hospital in the first place. Everything else is a temporary inconvenience. I have had about a dozen hospital stays so far in my life and have felt that I received excellent care each time. Maybe I've just been lucky.
+1. The only discomfort I've had is the rooms are too cold and I have to make a special effort to be still while trying to sleep due to all the tubes I end up with. I have always depended on the kindness of strangers, to wit, nurses, orderlies, assistants , doctors, and technicians. Love them all.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:00 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,541 times
Everything. Beds from hell, constant intrusions, lack of privacy, having to tell your story over and over, crappy food, having to ask for information constantly about test outcomes, etc., being sick enough to have to be there in the first place.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Probably the risk of death.
very true
very possible...

or worse... a medical accident (inattentive hospital procedure) that leaves you maimed or a vegetable for the next 30 yrs. or so has happened to more than a few

(Had an uncle that went in for a simple elective surgery at age 59, and came out a quadriplegic)
Their 'retirement' was quite changed....

The motorhome, farm, and tractors had to be sold to cover the costs of remodeling the house for ADA access.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:35 PM

1,204 posts, read 933,989 times
Had a knee replaced last year, and I have to say, the hospital, through it’s policies and staff, did all that could be done to be helpful, thoughtful, and caring. The personnel were uniformly great. That said, you’re in the hospital for an unpleasant reason. You’re drugged, in pain, in unfamiliar territory, hooked up to machines.

If I had to pick one small, but miserable, feature: compression socks. Get thee behind me! Or at least, off my legs.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:58 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
I once had to stay inpatient for 7 weeks straight & on strict bed rest for first 6 & a half of those!

After 3 weeks I developed “ ICU Psychosis” & the doctor ordered that I could be out of my room in a wheelchair for 15 minuets a day.

I lived for those 15 minutes!

The worst part for me were the mornings. I was a night shift worker (a nurse, ironically) & never abandoned my vampire hours. Every morning, especially M-F there was a flurry of eager beavers in & out of my room: The doctors on rounds, the nurses trying to beat the doctors on rounds to do my assessment, the dietician, housekeeping, the nosy insurance reps, chaplains, etc ...

It’s weird how tired out you can get by having to stay in bed all day.

Old 10-12-2017, 11:00 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
The filth and disease (staph, MRSA, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement