U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 05:08 PM

4,432 posts, read 2,611,082 times

Advertisements

I just spent 36 hours in the hospital. Atrial-fibrillation and with pneumonia in the left lung. A new wrinkle to add to premature ventricular complexes or contractions.
Now a-fib won't kill me, but it could cause a clot to lead to a stroke, and the pneumonia was a total surprise to us all, staff and me and my OH and a close friend who accompanied my OH to the ER.

I think the worst thing is trying to sleep in a hospital. They gave me a sedative to put me to sleep. I slept for all of one hour before some....ahem....nurses aid came in at 12 midnight to take bp with a malfunctioning automatic bp machine, then in my lucid state tried taking my watch off!!! I said "' what the (heck) you doing? '". She said she needed my watch off to take bp. I said "'(horsepuckies), they had been taking it all day with the watch ON my wrist'".
Than at 3:50 ( by the clock on the wall and my still on watch), the vampire came in,
then at 5 am they came in to take yet another EKG.

At 6:30 They took me down for Echo cardiogram.

So my "sedative/ sedated sleep" was severely disrupted.

Many think the food sucks, but I find the food quite palatable.

It's sleeping when ill and (usually exhausted), I miss when in the hospital.

How about you? What do you hate about being in (admitted) the hospital?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 05:23 PM

2,536 posts, read 1,826,790 times
recently had surgery for prostate ca. The worst by far was the mattress. Not the stitches, not the catheter, not the IV, not the food. The MF mattress. Like sleeping on a bag of bricks.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:30 PM

10,538 posts, read 15,593,251 times
The worst thing about staying in a hospital is - staying in a hospital.
Sick people have their prana draining out of them.
They are like vacuum bombs, they create a sort of prana sucking area around them.
And where you have the most of them? In a hospital. SNF. AL Facility.
Every time I have to go there, I feel this "cloud" so to speak, wrapping me.
I am yet to see a patient who wouldn't say - I am so glad I am discharged today.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:39 PM

3,752 posts, read 9,603,435 times
The stupidest thing that happened to my MinL while in the hospital was them waking her up in the middle of the night to weigh her. Then there were 3-5 other times that a person showed up to do something else but the weight was unbelievable. How can anyone attempt to get well when they get no sleep?

When I had abdominal surgery with a 6 inch incision, I did not even get to stay long enough to have a meal. I was so out of it, did not remember the evening I spent there and was home before lunch.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:40 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,604,318 times
A thousand things! Feeling like a prisoner: suffocating environment. Not being in MY OWN BATHROOM!!! And having to share a room with a stranger. Can't stand being around anyone when I'm sick, let alone a stranger.

Was in for an "overnight" about 8 years ago. They didn't believe me when I said I was going to detach myself and call a cab...Until I took out the IV. Then they said I couldn't leave until the paperwork was finished in about an hour or two. Told them to mail it and left. Yeah...it's pretty much a phobia. Sorry; I just can't help it.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:42 PM

4,169 posts, read 1,895,955 times
Room is too warm and the sheet is scratchy and the visitors are noisy and the spouse is worried and beeping is annoying and the nurses are ugly and the doctors don't care and they charge you $50 for a oxycodone when I got leftovers that cost me $1 and I get sicker even if I take one.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:46 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,170,636 times
The worst thing for my husband was not ever getting his Parkinson's meds on time and they must be given exactly on time. Some of his other meds he did not get at all, plus most doctors and nurses know little to nothing about Parkinson's.

When I was in the worst part was being treated like I was four years old. Also very long response times when you needed anything.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:06 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,438,987 times
I think the worst thing about being in a hospital is whatever it is that took me to the hospital in the first place. Everything else is a temporary inconvenience. I have had about a dozen hospital stays so far in my life and have felt that I received excellent care each time. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:16 PM

810 posts, read 616,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
The stupidest thing that happened to my MinL while in the hospital was them waking her up in the middle of the night to weigh her. Then there were 3-5 other times that a person showed up to do something else but the weight was unbelievable. How can anyone attempt to get well when they get no sleep?

When I had abdominal surgery with a 6 inch incision, I did not even get to stay long enough to have a meal. I was so out of it, did not remember the evening I spent there and was home before lunch.
I'll be dammed . The same thing happened to me . Came in my room dragging a scale and banging into everything about midnight .

Old 10-12-2017, 06:23 PM

9,207 posts, read 8,298,253 times
The worst thing about staying in a hospital is that you are staying IN A HOSPITAL!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or