U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 12:44 PM

71,763 posts, read 71,853,273 times

Advertisements

there was a reason for it and it had to do with energy prices tumbling not the president . low energy prices work its way through many many areas of the economy . in fact no modern day recession ever happened when energy prices were low .

i just love how people try to pin whatever happens on some political party or president even though these events can take years to unfold .

the truth is if no one ever told you who was in power for your working lifetime , you would have no clue which party it was .

everything you did or got , good or bad was all on you . for 45 years i got up , went to work and came home .wash and repeat , every day , except for Vietnam no political party ever mattered in my daily life and if i never knew who was in power i would think nothing changed .

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-14-2017 at 01:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 01:15 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,754,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
2%. That's a slap in the face.

Please explain why you consider that to be a slap in the face. Thanks.

Old 10-14-2017, 01:18 PM

like others , they think the cpi is supposed to match their personal cost of living but they are mistaken . that is not the purpose of any of the cpi index's . no index can match your life . in fact in my case of it did we would be getting a cut since things actually went down for us .

Old 10-14-2017, 01:54 PM

29,794 posts, read 34,889,516 times
Personally I am very happy with the projected SS increase. It isn't necessarily the number 2% but what that translates to in real dollars. Remember it is what the 2% is being applied to that either does or doesn't put the rabbit in the hat.

A.For the same retiree taking their benefit at 62 as opposed to 70 creates a different dollar increase. Like wise two SS benefits creates a higher combined increase.

B.Likewise a high SS benefit creates a greater dollar increase and can help offset any Medicare increase.

C. Likewise a 2% SS increase can suggest a comparable pension COLA increase and if applied to two pensions can add up.

Combine A,B and C and we can see why some are happier with the COLA than others and some rightfully can consider it very inadequate.

Also if you have a sizable investment portfolio that is up double digits the SS COLA is just number for discussion

Last edited by TuborgP; 10-14-2017 at 03:18 PM..

Old 10-14-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
like others , they think the cpi is supposed to match their personal cost of living but they are mistaken . that is not the purpose of any of the cpi index's . no index can match your life . in fact in my case of it did we would be getting a cut since things actually went down for us .
Mathjak in all seriousness your annual investment returns since being retired dwarf your SS COLA by how much? You don't need to tell but your COLA isn't the same factor in your retirement as it is in others.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:15 PM

4,508 posts, read 2,126,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
there was a reason for it and it had to do with energy prices tumbling not the president . low energy prices work its way through many many areas of the economy . in fact no modern day recession ever happened when energy prices were low .

i just love how people try to pin whatever happens on some political party or president even though these events can take years to unfold .

the truth is if no one ever told you who was in power for your working lifetime , you would have no clue which party it was .

everything you did or got , good or bad was all on you . for 45 years i got up , went to work and came home .wash and repeat , every day , except for Vietnam no political party ever mattered in my daily life and if i never knew who was in power i would think nothing changed .
I would guess most of us know that. But it sure is fun to remind people of the ZEROs under President Zero when they start to get political.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:16 PM

5,264 posts, read 3,027,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominftl View Post
be thankful you didn't get a cut under trump. The republicans are dying to dismantle your medicare and social security. Beware....

rubbish!

Old 10-14-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
rubbish!
https://prod-cdn-static.gop.com/medi...DRAFT_12_FINAL[1]-ben_1468872234.pdf

Quote:
Medicare’s long-term debt is in the trillions, and it is funded by a workforce that is shrinking relative to the size of future beneficiaries. Obamacare worsened the situation — and imperiled seniors — by imposing hundreds of billions of dollars in cuts to Medicare providers to pay for its new spending. When a vital program is so clearly headed for a train wreck, it’s time to put it on a more secure track. That is why we propose these reforms: Impose no changes for persons 55 or older. Give others the option of traditional Medicare or transition to a premium-support model designed to strengthen patient choice, promote cost-saving competition among providers, and better guard against the fraud and abuse that now diverts billions of dollars every year away from patient care. Guarantee to every enrollee an income-adjusted contribution toward a plan of their choice, with catastrophic protection. Without disadvantaging present retirees or those nearing retirement, set a more realistic age for eligibility in light of today’s longer life span.
Quote:
Saving Social Security We reject the old maxim that Social Security is the “Third Rail” of American politics, deadly for anyone who would change it. The Democratic Party still treats it that way, even though everyone knows that its current course will lead to a financial and social disaster. Younger Americans have lost all faith in the program and expect little return for what they are paying into it. As the party of America’s future, we accept the responsibility to preserve and modernize a system of retirement security forged in an old industrial era beyond the memory of most Americans. Current retirees and those close to retirement can be assured of their benefits. Of the many reforms being proposed, all options should be considered to preserve Social Security. As Republicans, we oppose tax increases and believe in the power of markets to create wealth and to
• REPUBLICAN PLATFORM 2016 •

help secure the future of our Social Security system. Saving Social Security is more than a challenge. It is our moral obligation to those who trusted in the government’s word.

The above are verbatim the sections in the 2016 Republican platform. Each can read and determine/interpret for themselves. Perhaps the difference in opinions are based on how you interpret yours. If applied to current recipients it is one thing if applied to a 40 year old perhaps another interpretation. In your 50's and not yet 55. When's your birthday might determine a lurkers reaction.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:12 PM

21,542 posts, read 44,060,337 times
Well, seeing as how the GOP platform intentionally wrote out language on Russian aggression, yet another coverup/lie, self-serving falsehood, whatever - I'll give the foregoing platform statement on SS/Medicare the attention it deserves - in the dustbin it goes.

This is what people should be reading -

https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/TR/2017/tr2017.pdf

not politically motivated, intentionally misleading, if not outright lying, party ideology.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Mathjak in all seriousness your annual investment returns since being retired dwarf your SS COLA by how much? You don't need to tell but your COLA isn't the same factor in your retirement as it is in others.
whether we like it or not ss once never meant to be anyone's means of support . it was only a safety net . the fact so many count on it as their MAJOR means of support was never the intention nor the design of it . for anyone to think it is supposed to match their personal cost of living is a pipe dream ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or