U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 10:27 PM

3,072 posts, read 816,938 times

Advertisements

Not counting possible accidents or childhood illnesses or infections ... I would be dead once at now age 64.

And not from cancer ... but from something usually totally innocuous, an ulcer very small but by chance in a deadly location.

So unusual that the major medical center was surprised to encounter a similar case a year later.

Push back the scar tissue thru endoscopy and voila - food again works!

In the good old days lots of folks died from random crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 09:31 AM

4,234 posts, read 7,262,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
The average age of the Founding fathers at death was little different than the average age of when the last 5-6 Presidents died. Something to think about.....and you can't say it was because they were wealthy and had excellent medical care by living next door to a world class medical center, LOL!

https://www.populationeducation.org/...ife-expectancy

"Sometimes, when we tell kids “the life expectancy was 48 in 1900,” they think that means that at age 48, people were old and decrepit instead of understanding that 48 was an average, and the high child mortality brought that average way down. Consider the example of our Founding Fathers. When they were born in the 18th century, life expectancy was below 40. Yet the average lifespan of the 56 signers to the Declaration of Independence was 66 years, and a quarter of them (including Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, and Ben Franklin) lived to 80 or older."
Childbirth was the big killer of Women until just the last 75 years or so. Farm accidents were the big cause of early deaths with my ancestors going back to the Revolution. My Maternal Grandfather (1858-1946) died from heatstroke at 88 but his 7 brothers all died young from various farm related incidents. The Women on both sides of my family usually make it to late 90s. My Mother turns 90 in February next year. I am 71 but I have my fingers crossed to make 72. Heck I had doubts about making it to 21 so every day since has been a gift from God. If he wants me I am ready but I like it here and I can wait LOL.

Old 10-14-2017, 11:12 AM

3,410 posts, read 1,524,633 times
Oh, I thought it was obvious I was talking about medical intervention.

My examples:

Appendicitis

2 serious kidney stones that went septic

Unable to breathe due to stomach not emptying

Gangrene from a sea lion bite

Life-threatening cellulitis from foot infection

You know, that kind of stuff. And yes, I've long been aware that life-expectancy charts are way skewed due to infant mortality and death of young children. Because there were plenty of seniors in their 70's and 80's back then too, as someone pointed out.

Old 10-14-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Childbirth was the big killer of Women until just the last 75 years or so. Farm accidents were the big cause of early deaths with my ancestors going back to the Revolution. My Maternal Grandfather (1858-1946) died from heatstroke at 88 but his 7 brothers all died young from various farm related incidents. The Women on both sides of my family usually make it to late 90s. My Mother turns 90 in February next year. I am 71 but I have my fingers crossed to make 72. Heck I had doubts about making it to 21 so every day since has been a gift from God. If he wants me I am ready but I like it here and I can wait LOL.

Yes, childbirth and farm accidents, indeed. Maybe today, most of them could be saved though?

Old 10-14-2017, 11:41 AM

1,688 posts, read 608,532 times
Since I grew up in a "developing country" in the 1960s, I did have two types of measles, chickenpox and mumps the natural way (without any complications though), but polio, diphtheria-pertussis and tetanus vaccines (and the fact that smallpox is extinct) surely must have saved my life many times. Before modern medicine, only about 10% of babies lived to their 4th birthday, dying either at birth or in infancy, of from later childhood diseases. Since I did not have kids, I would not have been among the 2/3 of all women that died during or after one of their childbirths (but then, there was no real contraception 150 years ago, so I would have probably had unwanted pregnancies, and statistically more likely than not died in childbirth).

On the other hand yet, all of my own near-death situations in the 57.5 years that I have lived, have been in motor vehicles, so actually maybe I would have been less likely to have died 150 years ago? -

Old 10-14-2017, 12:03 PM

878 posts, read 469,383 times
I had scarlet fever when I was 4. It was caught in the early stages when it was just a rash and treated with a course of antibiotics.

Old 10-14-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post
I had scarlet fever when I was 4. It was caught in the early stages when it was just a rash and treated with a course of antibiotics.

Yes. You would have been dead. Where would we be without antibiotics? I have taken them countless times. That may be in our future....

Old 10-14-2017, 12:27 PM

4,234 posts, read 7,262,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Yes, childbirth and farm accidents, indeed. Maybe today, most of them could be saved though?
Yes as far as childbirth and even with MOST farm accidents IF the accident victim can be taken to a Doctor/Hospital quickly. Many times in tractor/equipment accidents the farmer may be trapped and dies before help arrives. IIRC farming is in the top four or five professions with the highest deaths.

Old 10-14-2017, 12:32 PM

878 posts, read 469,383 times
This was back in the day before MRSA and other antibiotic resistant bugs. After getting through childhood with measles, chicken pox, mumps, and mononucleosis, I haven't taken a single one in 20 years.

They are definitely being overused. I keep hearing people talk about how the doctor gave them antibiotics for a chest cold and shake my head. It's gotten to the point where new drugs are going to have to be invented to combat common diseases that used to treatable.

Bacteria, viruses and other pathogens almost seem like they're in an arms race with humanity to see how many of us they can take. Technology has saved millions of lives over the last 100 years, now we're seeing pathogens evolve along with us, becoming more even more virulent.

Old 10-14-2017, 12:50 PM

6,394 posts, read 4,172,123 times
I used to have chronic sinus infections. If it weren't for antibiotics I probably would be dead. I now take regular doses of vitamin C to help improve my ability to fight off infections, and I don't have that problem near as much.

My concern now is that I might live too long and end up suffering from arthritis for far too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or