U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 12:55 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,540,765 times

Advertisements

If you lived back then, would you have been dead already? More than once? The older I get, the more I think about this, and the higher the number gets!

I can think of 5 or 6 "deadly" incidents, off-hand.

Probably why "retirement" was not an issue, back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2017, 01:03 PM

4,484 posts, read 4,748,002 times
oh, my.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:08 PM

23,613 posts, read 17,598,460 times
Several mishaps as a child would have seriously hurt me. Death? I don't know, but it would have been a problem.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:48 PM

12,026 posts, read 5,142,014 times
The average age of the Founding fathers at death was little different than the average age of when the last 5-6 Presidents died. Something to think about.....and you can't say it was because they were wealthy and had excellent medical care by living next door to a world class medical center, LOL!

https://www.populationeducation.org/...ife-expectancy

"Sometimes, when we tell kids “the life expectancy was 48 in 1900,” they think that means that at age 48, people were old and decrepit instead of understanding that 48 was an average, and the high child mortality brought that average way down. Consider the example of our Founding Fathers. When they were born in the 18th century, life expectancy was below 40. Yet the average lifespan of the 56 signers to the Declaration of Independence was 66 years, and a quarter of them (including Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, and Ben Franklin) lived to 80 or older."

Last edited by marino760; 10-13-2017 at 02:14 PM..

Old 10-13-2017, 01:55 PM

3,007 posts, read 2,175,019 times
I can think of one instance, giving birth to my daughter, I very nearly died from blood loss. Surely would have back then.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:57 PM

12,026 posts, read 5,142,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I can think of one instance, giving birth to my daughter, I very nearly died from blood loss. Surely would have back then.
Exactly. Childbirth was a gamble back then and people knew that. Many women died and many babies died as well. That along with childhood accidents and diseases brought the average life expectancy way down. It no way means you were old at age 40 and people didn't live to ripe old ages even by today's standards.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:00 PM

1,926 posts, read 992,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
If you lived back then, would you have been dead already? More than once? The older I get, the more I think about this, and the higher the number gets!

Are you asking about being saved by medical intervention? I'd say none for me but I don't discount the value of antibiotics.

If you're talking about something else, give us an example please.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:01 PM

530 posts, read 538,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

... Like Y'all, I probably would've been dead 4 or 5 times, too.
  • Whacking my head on a rock, falling from my brand-new, "English Racer" bike ...
  • Trying to help a neighbor friend who couldn't swim, but kept me underwater while trying to stay on the surface ...
  • Being the "Night Driver" for a traveling band and being caught in a hurricane while on the road ...
  • Being the "Night Driver" for a traveling band and seeing head lights coming directly at us, on our side of the road ...
  • Almost crushed in a horse stall by an anxious, hungry gelding ...

Yeah, I guess those could've turned "deadly" ... ... Never gave them much thought - until today!

Last edited by tomchard; 10-13-2017 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: ... Removed too many "while"s ...

Old 10-13-2017, 02:10 PM

1,926 posts, read 992,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchard View Post
... Like Y'all, I probably would've been dead 4 or 5 times, too.
  • Whacking my head on a rock, falling from my brand-new, "English Racer" bike ...
  • Trying to help a neighbor friend who couldn't swim, but kept me underwater while trying to stay on the surface ...
  • Being the "Night Driver" for a traveling band and being caught in a hurricane while on the road ...
  • Being the "Night Driver" for a traveling band and seeing head lights coming directly at us, on our side of the road ...
  • Almost crushed in a horse stall by an anxious, hungry gelding ...
Yeah, I guess those could've turned "deadly" ... ... Never gave them much thought - until today!

Tom dear. You might ought to have that head injury checked out

on the other hand, I've already admitted that I don't understand the question.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:01 PM

15,254 posts, read 16,842,706 times
I'm not sure when eyeglasses were readily available, but I would have died at a young age without them because my vision is so bad. I would have fallen into a hole, stepped on a snake, or been run over by a carriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or