U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2017, 05:34 AM

31,971 posts, read 36,594,800 times

Advertisements

Are you a disabled Vet? In TX you get a huge reduction or exemption on your property taxes.

I just helped a Vet who is 100% disabled and pays zero property taxes on his home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 06:08 AM

11,968 posts, read 5,102,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
You can find exceptions, I'm sure, but in general, higher unemployment correlates with poverty, and more poverty correlates with more crime. Not everyone town will follow this pattern, but podunk towns in the country with low unemployment are almost always going to be more violent and dangerous than wealthy suburbs with low unemployment. Take it from a lifelong Tennessean who has also lived in wealthy suburbs of normal America.
My only point is that it's disingenuous to tell anyone that finding a decent house for $75,000 on a few acres where you don't have extreme winters or summers and still in a well maintained nice town with low property taxes isn't possible. It is possible and I've done my research to prove it. I've already shown you 3 towns that meet that criteria.
You don't need to live in a crime ridden hell hole in the bad part of a city or out in the middle of nowhere. You need to look and research and not let people tell you they don't exist because they do exist. I could probably name you at least a dozen towns in KY that meet that criteria all with low crime rates well below the national and even state average. KY is not TN. Property taxes are on average lower than TN and crime rates are significantly lower than TN overall, yet the average home costs about $10,000 less in KY than it does in TN. There are exceptions to everything.

Last edited by marino760; 10-19-2017 at 06:38 AM..

Old 10-19-2017, 07:14 AM

6,564 posts, read 8,091,974 times
Lots of good info for you here OP. I did read, speed read that is, all posts. A couple of points Id make.

Winters are brutal in some areas like PA, WI, New England etc. Imagine aging and trying to get around in snow that is deep.

Humidity is relative. Places near large warm bodies of water will have air with more moisture in it. So Arkansas is in another world humidity wise compared to Houston or Coastal Va.

States are not equal in tax burden so comment about each gets their tax revenue some way is true but things can vary based upon how much government you want and get as well as a strong economy with jobs that export products or services for revenues can benefit the resident living there.

Check the water and sewer rates in dry areas, they tend to be drought prone and can make water scarce and expensive to obtain.

Finally do your research and short list a few places from looking at the data. Then go visit those areas on your short list then revise the process after you see what you get in a place.

Good luck OP.

Old 10-19-2017, 07:36 AM

30,670 posts, read 49,416,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Lots of good info for you here OP. I did read, speed read that is, all posts. A couple of points Id make.

Winters are brutal in some areas like PA, WI, New England etc. Imagine aging and trying to get around in snow that is deep.
Some people like four-seasons weather.

Our roads are cleared of snow within an hour after a storm has ended. Places that normally get snow are good about handling snow.

Quote:
... Check the water and sewer rates in dry areas, they tend to be drought prone and can make water scarce and expensive to obtain.
We have lived in drought-prone regions, that became a big priority for us to avoid those regions.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:04 AM

6,564 posts, read 8,091,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Some people like four-seasons weather.

Our roads are cleared of snow within an hour after a storm has ended. Places that normally get snow are good about handling snow.

We have lived in drought-prone regions, that became a big priority for us to avoid those regions.
There is a difference in having four seasons with a decent winter and winter in the NE or far N. I like cold weather but not for months on end. I've lived in Pittsburgh, PA, Stillwater Ok, N. Central NJ and now Plano Tx after living in Houston for decades. So Ive been there done that

If each state really takes the same in taxes then why does a private room in an assisted living facility vary from $5k per month at a low to $13k as a high excluding Alaska which is over $20k? There are differences in cost. Most who do not tax income do have higher other taxes than most states but the differences in cost of living are material.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:44 AM

6,306 posts, read 5,042,575 times
If you are insisting on VA care - look into VA long term care homes also.

Texas has several run by the state of Texas. Nice care homes for when you just cannot live alone.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:47 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
731 Hurley Rd, Sneedville, TN 37869 - Apple Realty (applesold.com)
206/214 Erb Private Drive, Elizabethton, TN 37643 - Apple Realty (applesold.com)

Not the prettiest, but checks all the boxes. Op would have to have really good timing or luck to find similar when it's actually time to move though, and yes it's one of the least humid areas of the southeast, think Asheville NC weather.
I think OP wanted a house. That's where it gets tough. You can find a trailer with some acreage in that range. A house? Much more difficult, especially if it doesn't need a lot of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
My only point is that it's disingenuous to tell anyone that finding a decent house for $75,000 on a few acres where you don't have extreme winters or summers and still in a well maintained nice town with low property taxes isn't possible. It is possible and I've done my research to prove it. I've already shown you 3 towns that meet that criteria.
You don't need to live in a crime ridden hell hole in the bad part of a city or out in the middle of nowhere. You need to look and research and not let people tell you they don't exist because they do exist. I could probably name you at least a dozen towns in KY that meet that criteria all with low crime rates well below the national and even state average. KY is not TN. Property taxes are on average lower than TN and crime rates are significantly lower than TN overall, yet the average home costs about $10,000 less in KY than it does in TN. There are exceptions to everything.
I don't think it's disingenuous at all. Are there places where you could find a house, not a trailer, and a couple of acres for under $75,000? Yes, but it is relatively rare.

I'm most familiar with Appalachian far eastern KY. There are very, very few communities I've been through there that I'd ever want to live in.

Even if you can get the house and land at that price range, there can be other costs those not familiar with the area wouldn't think about it. If you live in a small town close to Lexington, you at least have options on things like shopping, groceries, healthcare, etc. In Pikeville or Harlan, you might have one grocery store, Walmart, and dollar stores. Prices go up. You can't get economies of scale there. The land might be cheaper, but overall cost of living may very well be higher.

Last edited by Serious Conversation; 10-19-2017 at 09:55 AM..

Old 10-19-2017, 10:57 AM

8,295 posts, read 6,147,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod5591 View Post
I grew up in the Tidewater area of Virginia, and it was plenty humid and hot there, but bearable. I don't think I ever experienced unbearable humidity until I visited Houston TX in summer--never would I ever willingly move there! I hope Arkansas wouldn't be any worse than Virginia.
If you found that area acceptable, you would probably find North Carolina acceptable weather-wise.

If you look around Fayetteville, you can find a few options in your budget. They have a VA center there as well.

NC isn't a low tax state per se, but it isn't a high tax state like other places I've lived, and probably a better tax situation than California although I couldn't say for sure.

Practically speaking, I think you need to either up your budget, or reign in your expectations on the acreage.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:58 AM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 15 days ago)

10,451 posts, read 14,299,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I think OP wanted a house. That's where it gets tough. You can find a trailer with some acreage in that range. A house? Much more difficult, especially if it doesn't need a lot of work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod5591 View Post
We plan to buy a few acres and raise chickens, maybe a goat or two, and have have a garden and try to live a quiet life, minding our own business. We would love to find a house/manufactured home in good condition and 3 acres for not more than $75K.
While those weren't in great condition, hopefully OP is fully aware that at that price point they will be looking at older homes and trailers that will be in need of cosmetic updates and probably minor repairs as well. It was just a quick search, and meant more to say that it is possible with enough time, effort, and luck.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:22 AM

1,362 posts, read 764,777 times
Everyone has their own Cost of Living calculation. In our case the House is paid for, so Housing costs are minimal with only Power, Water and Taxes, and our State gives Seniors a significant RE Tax Break. Other expenses, like Groceries, are pretty much the same across most States.....if you can get control of the Cost of the Meat you buy, the rest of the Grocery bill will average out.

Our Cost of Living calculus is primarily the overall Tax Bill -- State, Local, Sales and Gas Taxes. Forbes did a study a few years ago and ranked all 50 States by Taxes. The 10 lowest COL are --

1 Wyoming
2 Alaska
3 South Dakota
4 Texas
5 Louisiana
6 Tennessee
7 New Hampshire
8 Nevada
9 south Carolina
10 Alabama

WARNING -- 50 Freakin' Click-throughs

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erincar.../#6ba729d65951

Our preference was for mild winters, so we tossed out any State with even a vague possibility of Snow.

We worked our way down the list and those left standing were --
4 Texas
5 Louisiana
6 Tennessee
8 Nevada
9 south Carolina

We eliminated a few for various reason, until we got to South Carolina. When you consider the Charms of Charleston (restaurants, theater, galleries, history).......the answer for us became obvious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement