U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2017, 05:19 PM

11,969 posts, read 5,102,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
More and more going to NV.
To each their own. Coming from CA, I see NV as a mini CA. It's mostly desert and brown with horrible summer heat and filled with CA transplants. No thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 11:20 PM

166 posts, read 85,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod5591 View Post
The weather here is California where we live is great, but its way too expensive here and taxes keep going up, plus the state is going the wrong direction culture-wise, with all the liberals and the crooked politicians. We would live Oregon and/or Washington, but prices are high in those areas and the liberals are ruining those states as well.
Those darned liberals, huh?
I'm originally from California, and I'm about as liberal as they come.
What's funny is, all my friends and family in California are conservative Republicans. I can't figure out where all my liberal people actually are anymore! I know we're out there...we were the majority vote in the last big election.
But now I live in Texas and I'm really outnumbered.

Anyway, don't retire to Texas. There's no state income tax, but the weather is crap, the traffic is awful, they don't like Californians, and property taxes are outrageous.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:17 AM

6,564 posts, read 8,091,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
A 20% difference is minor, I have seen many examples that have been closer to a 20X difference.

I have never said properties cost the same between high COL areas and low COL areas.
Show me an example of a place where the cost of living is 20 times less. A 20% lower cost of living is like a 20% raise. So you consider that minor? Really? Nuts or math challenged whicih is it?

Old 10-20-2017, 02:47 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,723,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Show me an example of a place where the cost of living is 20 times less. A 20% lower cost of living is like a 20% raise. So you consider that minor? Really? Nuts or math challenged whicih is it?

O.K. Let's use some round numbers. Suppose you spend a grand total of $50,000 a year to live in location A. But in location B the cost of living is 20% lower, which means you would spend a grand total of $40,000 a year to live the same material lifestyle. I agree that the $10,000 difference is more than negligible.

However, for many people it may be well worth the extra money to live in a place which suits them; it may be that location A will provide an enjoyable and joyful life, but location B will be miserable. Off course if someone simply doesn't have $50,000 a year to spend, then all the location A's will be off the table, and the issue becomes finding the location B that suits him the best.

Whether a 20% difference in the cost of living is "minor" or not is a question of individual perspective and is certainly not legitimate cause to label another poster "nuts or math challenged". He may well be neither.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:41 PM

30,670 posts, read 49,416,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Show me an example of a place where the cost of living is 20 times less.
I live in a town where the average household income is mid-20k/year. On $25k you can support a family and own a home.

My in-laws live in the DC beltway [along with other of our friends] as a group these people commonly earn $150k - $250k per household. I constantly have to hear them complaining about their financial struggles and how high their COL is.

If a family can do fine on $25k, but someone else is struggling on $250k without children, I see that as a huge difference. Far more than a 20% difference.

BTW, I earn less than $25k and I own our house, on substantial acreage.

Quote:
... A 20% lower cost of living is like a 20% raise. So you consider that minor? Really? Nuts or math challenged whicih is it?
Take your pick.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:40 PM

11,969 posts, read 5,102,113 times
Quote:
I live in a town where the average household income is mid-20k/year. On $25k you can support a family and own a home.

My in-laws live in the DC beltway [along with other of our friends] as a group these people commonly earn $150k - $250k per household. I constantly have to hear them complaining about their financial struggles and how high their COL is.

If a family can do fine on $25k, but someone else is struggling on $250k without children, I see that as a huge difference. Far more than a 20% difference.

Take your pick.
What you stated is what many people refuse to take into account or even acknowledge. When cost of living is thrown into the mix, CA has the highest poverty rate in the nation, not Alabama, Mississippi, Kentucky or any other Southern state.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:00 PM

30,670 posts, read 49,416,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
What you stated is what many people refuse to take into account or even acknowledge.
Agreed.

They seem to insist that high COL is everywhere.

Quote:
... When cost of living is thrown into the mix, CA has the highest poverty rate in the nation, not Alabama, Mississippi, Kentucky or any other Southern state.
I am from California, I get it. But for my retirement, I migrated to a lower COL region of the US.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:08 AM

8,113 posts, read 12,677,755 times
Quote:

Take your pick.
We live in that area (our home is literally just outside the beltway in NoVA). We have been here 25 years and our HHI is about $180k. We have a SFH, newer cars (nothing high end and the previous car we had replaced after 10 years), and support our family with budgeting but without trouble. If somebody is struggling on $250k without children I think they need to look at their budgeting.

Old 10-21-2017, 07:06 PM

75 posts, read 58,187 times
great answers and information....our thanks to all who took their time to help!

Old 10-22-2017, 07:39 AM

1,362 posts, read 764,777 times
Many of these generic Cost of Living articles place the cost of Housing first, and usually assign it a significant portion of the COL. Most often, the entire State is lumped into a one Housing Cost.

But if your Home is paid off, your Housing category only needs to cover the Power, Water, Insurance and RE Taxes. That's why earlier in this thread, I said.....Everyone has their own Cost of Living Calculation.

Take the Mortgage Payment out of your monthly nut........see what that does for your Cash Flow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement