Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2017, 06:32 PM

1,016 posts, read 307,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I couldn't agree more. I don't know why some people refuse to acknowledge that there's a bigger world out there than Eastern Tenn.
Here's another good example of being able to by a house for well under $75,000 on 3 acres. And it's less than a twenty minute drive to a large town small city with a hospital, big box stores and a university.

$39,900 for 1500 sq ft on almost 3 acres.
https://www.trulia.com/property/3275...sburg-KY-42743

A house like this is almost exactly what I want when I retire. Not sure why some people will find this horrendous.

Yes! My husband and I bought a similar type property for our retirement, made it livable first and then spiffed the rest up gradually. It's a great route to take if you have only a modest to moderate retirement income. Little to no mortgage, pride of ownership, peace of mind, hedge against inflation and all that good stuff. And, yes, there's a whole world out there! Just make your wish list and start shopping around. That's what we did, and it worked well for us. I should say it took several years, it's a process, but it is doable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 06:37 PM

[deleted]

Last edited by barb712; 10-24-2017 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: duplicate post

Old 10-25-2017, 04:55 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,188,900 times
Quote:
I couldn't agree more. I don't know why some people refuse to acknowledge that there's a bigger world out there than Eastern Tenn.
Here's another good example of being able to by a house for well under $75,000 on 3 acres. And it's less than a twenty minute drive to a large town small city with a hospital, big box stores and a university.

$39,900 for 1500 sq ft on almost 3 acres.
https://www.trulia.com/property/3275...sburg-KY-42743

A house like this is almost exactly what I want when I retire. Not sure why some people will find this horrendous.
I too am totally on board with that. It is amazing what can be done with fixer-uppers if the bones are good. We bought one when we moved to Michigan, made it livable, then added features as we could afford them.

Life doesn't have to be expensive to be good.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:10 AM

30,512 posts, read 16,209,926 times
I agree with it's not all eastern Texas (fortunately) but that specific house, no. It's 2 story for one thing and stairs will not get any easier.

I respectfully point out that buying a fixer upper isn't much different financially that spending money on a move in ready. You can make it more yours with a fixer upper but it'll take longer. Move in ready you can just move in after the closing but some things may just not be 'you'.

Old 10-25-2017, 06:21 AM

17,341 posts, read 11,271,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I agree with it's not all eastern Texas (fortunately) but that specific house, no. It's 2 story for one thing and stairs will not get any easier.

I respectfully point out that buying a fixer upper isn't much different financially that spending money on a move in ready. You can make it more yours with a fixer upper but it'll take longer. Move in ready you can just move in after the closing but some things may just not be 'you'.
You make a good point but buying a fixer upper for me works. I don't necessarily need to buy a fixer upper but I would love working on an old house and making it beautiful again. In retirement, there's no rush and it will give me a fun constructive project which I enjoy doing.
Also, most people could pay cash for a house like this and not have a mortgage payment. Unlike a mortgage payment, you're not on a schedule to pay x amount on the house each month or be foreclosed on. I could spend whatever I want to, when I want to making the house what I want it to be.
As for the stairs, the house was just one example. There are plenty of others without stairs.

Old 10-25-2017, 07:51 AM

Quote:

... most people could pay cash for a house like this and not have a mortgage payment. Unlike a mortgage payment, you're not on a schedule to pay x amount on the house each month or be foreclosed on. I could spend whatever I want to, when I want to making the house what I want it to be.
Exactly. We wanted little to no mortgage in retirement, so buying a "distressed" property made that possible for us. Of course we had criteria and happily found a place that met them. Elbow grease, paint, yard work, and the turn of a screw here and there comprised a huge percentage of the home improvements, and the rest we just took on one project at a time as we were able.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:06 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,719,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
BTW, I earn less than $25k and I own our house, on substantial acreage.
Yes, but reading about how you live in other threads, if I had to do that (and in Maine), I would kill myself.

Different strokes and all.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:18 PM

1,304 posts, read 855,059 times
LOL! Different strokes alright! Every time I read about Submariner's life in Maine I think, "man, he's living the dream!" and turn green with envy!!!!!

Old 10-25-2017, 12:47 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Yes, but reading about how you live in other threads, if I had to do that (and in Maine), I would kill myself.

Different strokes and all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
LOL! Different strokes alright! Every time I read about Submariner's life in Maine I think, "man, he's living the dream!" and turn green with envy!!!!!
When I was in my 20s and dating girls, one of those topics of discussion that might come up is 'what are your dreams for the future'?

For me it was to live in the woods, off-grid, raise some livestock, and to do some gardening. Maybe a little foraging, hunting, and fishing.

I found that whenever I explained this to a girl, it would be the last date I could get. Some city girls will be frightened away by such talk, at least they were back in 1980.

One time I was courting a truckstop waitress, and I told her about my vision for the future, and this girl said that she could see herself working toward such a future and focusing herself on that ideal. We were married in 1981 and we are still together.

This past weekend we hosted an apple cider pressing event at our home, we had a potluck afterward with 25 people seated around our table. Every participant went home carrying a bottle of fresh pressed apple juice, and I have 20 gallons fermenting next to my desk.

Not everyone can fit that size a crowd around their dining room table. It is not the ideal lifestyle for everyone, but we like it.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:56 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times
How old are you? And, what's the plan for when you go? How will your wife handle the farm? This is a life which requires a strong healthy man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement