Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2017, 02:43 PM

7,020 posts, read 6,232,721 times

Advertisements

I've only lived in one my but, at least in Minnesota, it (& they) are insulated. The one I lived in didn't leak but I would think it would be the same as a house; bad roof = leaks.

Some that I've seen really surprised me as I had no idea they weren't houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 05:48 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,125,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
A house on 3 acres for $75K, within 40 miles of a VA clinic and no hot humid summers and minimum taxes.

I doubt it exists.
This is the problem. Shangri La does not exist. Its a fictional story in a book.

You can't have champagne tastes on a beer budget.

This gentleman doesn't like taxes, but undoubtedly he wants to be near a top-notch VA Clinic. My sense of irony is simply overwhelming me. The VA system is as extensive as it is and does as much as it does because its costs a big chunk of tax revenue.

This country is just of full of people who want the benefits of government, but don't want to pay for them. This guy would probably tell me that he is a veteran and has earned the right to excellent medical care. Excellent medical care doesn't grow on trees. It has to be paid for by ordinary citizens who struggle to pay their taxes.

I just wish more people understood the connection and didn't expect someone else to provide all this for them for free.

I'm 58. I've earned a good income most of my working years and I've paid big taxes. I don't begrudge it. The only thing I ask is for others who want the benefits of government to do the same thing.

Old 10-27-2017, 06:27 PM

1,016 posts, read 304,773 times
I found this website the other day, oldhousesunder50K.com. Here's something interesting for the OP. It may not tick every box, but it sets you thinking about the possibilities.

C. 1900 Rural Michigan Farmhouse, Barns on Acreage Under $50,000 - Old Houses Under $50K

Old 10-27-2017, 07:10 PM

17,265 posts, read 11,114,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDWNC View Post
We're seniors looking to get out of Asheville, NC (lived in NY near the City). We know
cold and blizzards. We can't afford the >55 places. Our focus is Lehigh Valley (someone
recommended looking at Easton and we will). I've
used cost of living calculators but: 1) They rarely have dates associated with them (so
they're worthless - this forum is actually better), so I don't know what's correct.
2) Any pointers on how we can figure out property tax components? I know if we
live in Bethlehem, taxes will be higher but if we live outside the city limits, any clue
how much difference this would make?

Thank you all.
Just pick up the phone and call the county assessors office.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:51 PM

34,848 posts, read 30,929,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
This is the problem. Shangri La does not exist. Its a fictional story in a book.

This gentleman doesn't like taxes, but undoubtedly he wants to be near a top-notch VA Clinic. My sense of irony is simply overwhelming me. The VA system is as extensive as it is and does as much as it does because its costs a big chunk of tax revenue.

This country is just of full of people who want the benefits of government, but don't want to pay for them. This guy would probably tell me that he is a veteran and has earned the right to excellent medical care. Excellent medical care doesn't grow on trees. It has to be paid for by ordinary citizens who struggle to pay their taxes.

I just wish more people understood the connection and didn't expect someone else to provide all this for them for free.

I'm 58. I've earned a good income most of my working years and I've paid big taxes. I don't begrudge it. The only thing I ask is for others who want the benefits of government to do the same thing.
Absolutely. There are people posting total dumps that are basically gut jobs to prove a point, if you could even find reliable workers in some of those areas.

If you want bottom basement prices, you will get similar results. Crap in = crap out.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,605 posts, read 57,568,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
A house on 3 acres for $75K, within 40 miles of a VA clinic and no hot humid summers and minimum taxes.

I doubt it exists.
Head 40 miles east / NE of Sturgis SD. Not too 'sticky' there!

I would pay the 'price-of-admission' and choose Piedmont, SD or Ranchester . Dayton, WY. (Both are pretty low tax states). But There are VA facilities near low cost housing in other 'non-sticky-states'.

Any old (legally placed) mobile home will do...(comes with permit...water, septic / power / road included) Add a shop with nice apartment and bulldoze the MH.

Better yet... become destitute and sign up for a state run Veteran's home 'FREE ' independent living!!!! Some come with a GREAT view!!! and no need for AC in summer! City bus comes every hour (free bus and ferry passes)

http://www-stage.dva.wa.gov/veteran-...ns-home-retsil

Old 10-28-2017, 06:33 AM

8,628 posts, read 4,454,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

The first is true, as far as I know.
The second is mostly true.

Quote:

If he is a veteran, then yes, he did earn those benefits.

If you wan't those benefits, earn them.

If you don't like the system, most of us don't have a problem with you finding another country, where he didn't have to defend your freedom to "earn a good income." Otherwise, you need to learn some appreciation for those who put their life on the line, so that you didn't have to.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:55 AM

37,255 posts, read 61,001,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712 View Post
I found this website the other day, oldhousesunder50K.com. Here's something interesting for the OP. It may not tick every box, but it sets you thinking about the possibilities.

C. 1900 Rural Michigan Farmhouse, Barns on Acreage Under $50,000 - Old Houses Under $50K

It is not just old houses.

Where we are located there are many old farm houses.

We built a new house for ourselves.

$75k got us 150 acres of land, and $50k built a 2400 sq ft 3 bdrm house. Ten years later, an additional $15k got our house onto solar power.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:16 AM

26,128 posts, read 48,760,949 times
Here's an article in the financial press about best places to retire to make your retirement income go further. There are some excellent charts on total tax loads by state, states that do/don't tax Social Security, etc. Here is the link to the story.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-28-2017, 09:48 AM

4,142 posts, read 3,871,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
It is not just old houses.

Where we are located there are many old farm houses.

We built a new house for ourselves.

$75k got us 150 acres of land, and $50k built a 2400 sq ft 3 bdrm house. Ten years later, an additional $15k got our house onto solar power.
$50K for a new house. Even if you did most of the labor, I don't see how a house can be built for that amount with materials being so high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement