U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 10:24 PM

77 posts, read 58,727 times

Advertisements

We are so close to having our California home on the market--what a struggle! As far as finding great places to retire, I've looked seriously at Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Tennessee, Delaware, and New Hampshire. Then I started looking at South central Kentucky-such a nice area, and very affordable. And there is a VA clinic right in Owensville! Now I am trying to plot out the best way to move a household of two people and two dogs with probably too much accumulated stuff. One thing I won't miss is working in a big company, politically cutthroat workers, and watching the California State government suck away my money in more taxes, new taxes, etc. I once had a lot of family in California, when I leave, there will be one neice left, living the California life in los Angeles. Everyone else has fled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 11:26 PM

23,572 posts, read 17,544,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod5591 View Post
We are so close to having our California home on the market--what a struggle! As far as finding great places to retire, I've looked seriously at Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Tennessee, Delaware, and New Hampshire. Then I started looking at South central Kentucky-such a nice area, and very affordable. And there is a VA clinic right in Owensville! Now I am trying to plot out the best way to move a household of two people and two dogs with probably too much accumulated stuff. One thing I won't miss is working in a big company, politically cutthroat workers, and watching the California State government suck away my money in more taxes, new taxes, etc. I once had a lot of family in California, when I leave, there will be one neice left, living the California life in los Angeles. Everyone else has fled.
Before doing anything, visit the finalist locations. Rural southern KY or rural Tennessee are going to be
so different from your current lifestyle in many ways you cannot even imagine. You are shooting with such a broad brush that you probably have no idea of the culture or lifestyle of any of these areas.

Being a southern Californian, you're probably a lot wealthier than people in the prospective areas. People in rural east TN are NOT going to take kindly to some Cali retiree rolling in with a lot of wealth (at least by local standards), and trying to influence local decision making. To be frank, we don't like wealthy out of state retirees in my neck of the woods. Truth be told, we'd prefer you relocate to Nashville, Charlotte, etc., where out of area wealth is common and welcome.

You need to decide on a location FIRST, then work out logistical details and other things of a local nature.

Old 12-03-2017, 12:27 AM

16,343 posts, read 10,331,404 times
I agree with Serious Conversation to an extent. Not the TN part. Only drove through the state once. It was beautiful but never went back

But he does have a point about you probably having more money than most. And cost of living isn't everything. Just because a place is affordable doesn't mean you'll like living there.

I'd recommend looking for places that meet your interests and needs. Visit a few. Off-season preferably. Then get into affordability.

Old 12-03-2017, 03:12 AM

1,802 posts, read 3,833,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth224 View Post
You are so right. We just spent a week in Sussex County DE. Looked at homes (which are plentiful), taxes good, but after speaking with quite a few people we learned they miss not having a close International airport, lack of shopping (no Costco, Sam's, Target, Kohl's etc) and healthcare issues. Three residents said they have tried 2 or 3 Internists and have not found one they like. One of these said she drives back to the Philly area to see two of her previous doctors, I had to laugh when one person told me he was just going to "hope he stayed healthy". So, you really have to weigh your options.
We live in Dover, DE (Kent Co.) and have plenty of shopping. Have Sam's, Target, Kohl's, etc. and more moving in. The only thing I miss is Bed, Bath & Beyond. But we are less than an hour from Christiana Mall, which is HUGE. We are also about an hour from Philadelphia Airport and probably just a bit over an hour from BWI. As far as docs go, I am changing internists but found one that is great. I have had a couple of significant health issues and found the Kent Co. Bayhealth to be fine as well as my surgeon is great. In fact the people who work there are much better than a couple of the hospitals around Pittsburgh where we used to live. Also found great OB-Gyn and orthopedist. And Kent Co. has lower housing costs than either Sussex or New Castle counties. And we can be at the beach in an hour, but avoid the overcrowding and traffic during the summer.

Just our experiences and opinions. Even though DE is small, it really differs between the 3 areas. I do have a couple of neighbors who go "back" to their docs in NJ and MD, but that is their choice as they didn't even try to find a new one here.

Old 12-03-2017, 05:06 AM

1,137 posts, read 569,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy6 View Post
I too have been looking for a new place to call home. I currently live in Tucson and for a multitude of reasons I am looking for another spot to call home. Two years is enough to know I made a mistake in choosing Tucson.
DW and I made the same mistake; brought there for a job, but two years was enough for us as well. Hope you find a place you like- there are a lot of areas to choose from!

Old 12-03-2017, 05:09 AM

17,670 posts, read 8,845,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Before doing anything, visit the finalist locations. Rural southern KY or rural Tennessee are going to be
so different from your current lifestyle in many ways you cannot even imagine. You are shooting with such a broad brush that you probably have no idea of the culture or lifestyle of any of these areas.

Being a southern Californian, you're probably a lot wealthier than people in the prospective areas. People in rural east TN are NOT going to take kindly to some Cali retiree rolling in with a lot of wealth (at least by local standards), and trying to influence local decision making. To be frank, we don't like wealthy out of state retirees in my neck of the woods. Truth be told, we'd prefer you relocate to Nashville, Charlotte, etc., where out of area wealth is common and welcome.

You need to decide on a location FIRST, then work out logistical details and other things of a local nature.
Great advice.

Old 12-03-2017, 05:49 AM

566 posts, read 248,379 times
When you get past the three score and ten mark, relocating is just that much more difficult...not impossible, just more challenging. It isn't only the level of physical effort required, but also the shift in gears that is required mentally to get accustomed to the new environment. For some it proves a costly mistake, for others the perfect choice. I did it many times in my younger days but I now find that relocating means downsizing and just moving to new places within a smaller radius. For me, it's more about finding an area with the services I need, the activities I enjoy, and making life's daily chores more convenient and easy to accomplish! Like others on here, I do my research first....and rent before I buy!

Old 12-03-2017, 08:22 AM

3,705 posts, read 2,193,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I completely agree with this. I've seen it time and time again in the more rural parts of the northeast. People want to escape the rat race, but they still want all the amenities they have left behind. Next thing you know, your quiet rural area is now also a rat race and your quaint little village is a small city.

Many years ago I worked in a small restaurant that went out of business. A year later, new owners opened up again and I got a job with them. At one point I mentioned "we used to do it this way" and the new owner said "That was then, and how did it work out for them?" She had a valid point and I've never forgotten her comment. Same applies with relocation IMO.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:57 AM

11,976 posts, read 5,111,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I completely agree with this. I've seen it time and time again in the more rural parts of the northeast. People want to escape the rat race, but they still want all the amenities they have left behind. Next thing you know, your quiet rural area is now also a rat race and your quaint little village is a small city.

Many years ago I worked in a small restaurant that went out of business. A year later, new owners opened up again and I got a job with them. At one point I mentioned "we used to do it this way" and the new owner said "That was then, and how did it work out for them?" She had a valid point and I've never forgotten her comment. Same applies with relocation IMO.
I couldn't agree more. Some people think they're going to move somewhere across the country and then start complaining that it's not enough like home, too many people do things differently and the existing mall is too small for them. Then they wonder why they can't make friends in the new location.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:21 AM

4,967 posts, read 3,454,424 times
I learned over the years to keep my mouth shut when in another's territory. It was truly culture shock when I moved from a city to the small town my mother grew up in. The importance of keeping a low profile proved invaluable.

Now that I'm in Arizona that has also been a huge aid. Part of me is not certain I'll stay here as I do miss the 'green' aspect of Minnesota, but not the winters or the allergies! I do plan on checking out Tennessee this spring but, again, my allergies may make that unfeasible. I chose Arizona for that reason.

It's very important to not only look at the col but also the culture of the area you are looking to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement