U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 09:28 PM

78 posts, read 59,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Before doing anything, visit the finalist locations. Rural southern KY or rural Tennessee are going to be
so different from your current lifestyle in many ways you cannot even imagine. You are shooting with such a broad brush that you probably have no idea of the culture or lifestyle of any of these areas.

Being a southern Californian, you're probably a lot wealthier than people in the prospective areas. People in rural east TN are NOT going to take kindly to some Cali retiree rolling in with a lot of wealth (at least by local standards), and trying to influence local decision making. To be frank, we don't like wealthy out of state retirees in my neck of the woods. Truth be told, we'd prefer you relocate to Nashville, Charlotte, etc., where out of area wealth is common and welcome.

You need to decide on a location FIRST, then work out logistical details and other things of a local nature.
Thank you, sir, and to all others for your time and opinions We are close to having to make a decision. Tennessee and Kentucky are both attractive for financial reasons but more than that, the Christian faith seems strong there. 1 Thessalonians 4:11 instructs Christians to live a quiet life, and my wife and I follow that pretty well. I believe if we were to move into any county in Tennessee or Kentucky we would be welcomed by the Christian believers especially in the Church we will attend. We enjoy being of service and most of our friends we have made are from our church family here--it's difficult to have to move away, butI know the Lord will guide us to the right place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 09:31 AM

852 posts, read 929,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Texas is pretty hot and property taxes are pretty high........
Not if you are a disabled vet. If you are 100% disabled get in Texas, you are exempt from all property taxes

Old 12-13-2017, 10:32 AM

30,679 posts, read 49,437,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLR210 View Post
Not if you are a disabled vet. If you are 100% disabled get in Texas, you are exempt from all property taxes
I am a military retiree, I know a lot of vets. As a veteran I also have a disability rating. It is a rarity to find a 100% disabled vet.

If someone has a 100% disability they have serious health issues. Being exempted from property taxes is a very minor thing in their life priorities.

Old 12-13-2017, 04:19 PM

8 posts, read 3,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I am a military retiree, I know a lot of vets. As a veteran I also have a disability rating. It is a rarity to find a 100% disabled vet.

If someone has a 100% disability they have serious health issues. Being exempted from property taxes is a very minor thing in their life priorities.
Thanks for pointing that out Submariner. I am a 27.5 years plus retiree and rated 100% permanent and total disabled vet. I am telling you and everyone that I rather have my health back. Been through 3 combat deployments and have had 4 major surgeries while in service. Almost got killed a few times while vacationing in Baghdad. 80% of my injuries are considered Combat Related. I am truly a broken machine from head to toes: chronic migraine in the head; a cyst in my sinus; an ACDF C-6--7 operation done a few years ago; surgeries on both shoulders; tennis elbow fore-arms pain (lateral epicondylitis); cardio myopathy; diabetes type II; lower back pain (L4 disc bulging); both knees have arthritis; both feet have plantar fasciitis; and finally sleep apnea. I am on 9 tablets a day. Yeah, I have serious health issues! But anyway, I am taking a year off. Since I am only 47 years old, I think I can still contribute and be a productive citizen. Planning to get certified to be a substitute teacher and pass on my experiences to the kids. I don't want to die in boredom.

Old 12-13-2017, 04:42 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,051,434 times
Quote:

My brother is 100%, two brother in laws, my roommate, my cousin- all 100% Vietnam era disabled veterans.

Most due to PTSD. I bet all the guys at the local VFW are 100%. Most are Vietnam vets.

If you were to just look at them, you couldn't tell if they had a physical condition that warranted that rating. PTSD is terrible.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:29 PM

973 posts, read 604,389 times
Quote:

Sorry but I have to disagree with you on ^. I am a VA nurse and being 100% SC is far more common than you may think it is. I know many Vets that are 100% SC for just hearing loss, and I know even more Vets that are 100% SC for PTSD which you would never know because many of these Vets suffer this in silence. You can have sustained multiple military related injuries that the % for each can all add up to 100% SC, and Vets are being compensated for sustaining those injuries but that does not always translate into their inability to work because those injuries may not impact the ability to do the particular job they do. I can off the top of my head think of at least 5 colleagues I work with that are 100% SC that work because their SC injuries don't impact their work, and they are getting paid for their work and at the same time being compensated for the military injuries they sustained because they are not deemed unemployable.

If you don't think that Vets relocate to areas that exempt their property taxes you might want to take trip to Florida where you can just about throw a rock in any direction and hit a VA Hospital or a CBOC aka Community Based Outpatient Clinic because of the high volume of Veterans this area serves. Certainly there are many Vets that relocate there for warmer weather but there is also a high % that relocate to Florida for the multiple towns that exempt all property taxes for 100% SC Vets and offer a significant reduction to non SC Vets. The enormous central Florida retirement community called The Villages has it's own CBOC contained directly in that community because of the high Veteran population that lives in the community, and I am sure the low or no property taxes had a significant impact on Vets deciding to retire there.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:45 PM

14 posts, read 1,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod5591 View Post
My wife and I are planning to retire, on a budget, and we are looking for the state with:

1) No state income Tax
2) Lowest Sales Tax
3) Lowest Property Tax

Or the best combination of the three.

We plan to buy a few acres and raise chickens, maybe a goat or two, and have have a garden and try to live a quiet life, minding our own business. We would love to find a house/manufactured home in good condition and 3 acres for not more than $75K. My wife would like to locate near but not in a small city maybe 25K in population with a full service hospital. I am a veteran and would like to be withen 40 miles or so of a VA medical center or clinic.

We don't have strong preferences about weather except we do not want humid hot summers such as Florida or the Gulf Coast states.

The weather here is California where we live is great, but its way too expensive here and taxes keep going up, plus the state is going the wrong direction culture-wise, with all the liberals and the crooked politicians. We would live Oregon and/or Washington, but prices are high in those areas and the liberals are ruining those states as well.

Some states we have looked at are Arkansas and Tennessee, Wyoming, Utah.

Can anyone suggest any good low cost states to retire?

Also where can I get the information about sales tax rates, property tax rates, etc?

Thank you for any help and/or advice.
I don't think it exists anymore.

You might try Prescott, AZ or Tucson, AZ. Dry climate, but warmer. Property taxes are not bad. I think Tucson has more to offer. Outside of Phoenix is an option, Gilbert, Chandler areas. It gets very hot here, but for 7-8 months, it is pretty awesome. As we get older, we tend to get colder...especially if you are on blood thinning meds and such. Still, if you don't like hot weather, this may not be for you at all.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:52 PM

18,486 posts, read 9,567,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macinpup View Post
I don't think it exists anymore.

You might try Prescott, AZ or Tucson, AZ. Dry climate, but warmer. Property taxes are not bad. I think Tucson has more to offer. Outside of Phoenix is an option, Gilbert, Chandler areas. It gets very hot here, but for 7-8 months, it is pretty awesome. As we get older, we tend to get colder...especially if you are on blood thinning meds and such. Still, if you don't like hot weather, this may not be for you at all.
Yeah, meeting his parameters doesn't exist. However, he indicates that he moved to Tennessee which is probably the best choice given his factors.

Old Yesterday, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Agreed.

They seem to insist that high COL is everywhere.

I am from California, I get it. But for my retirement, I migrated to a lower COL region of the US.
I thought Maine was highly taxed? I know CT, MA and NY are pretty high having lived in both CT and MA. I also know VT is high and NH has high property taxes, which is why my best friend left (that and the rotten winters.)

Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
Many of these generic Cost of Living articles place the cost of Housing first, and usually assign it a significant portion of the COL. Most often, the entire State is lumped into a one Housing Cost.

But if your Home is paid off, your Housing category only needs to cover the Power, Water, Insurance and RE Taxes. That's why earlier in this thread, I said.....Everyone has their own Cost of Living Calculation.

Take the Mortgage Payment out of your monthly nut........see what that does for your Cash Flow.
Just have to be careful even if the home is paid off. of you pay HIGH property taxes in your state like my friend did in NH. As the years pass, the taxes go up, and many people have lost their homes not being able to pay the TAXES on the home, even though their home was paid off. (Not rich people, but people who make average to lower retirements.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement