U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 02:57 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,042,575 times

Advertisements

I live in south texas and humidity is relative.

The most humid place I've been to was Panama. Dang - we got off the plane and it was like walking into a wall of warm water - gross.

To me, as long as the AC never breaks down, it is ok here. Oh and Kuwait was pretty humid too. But for some reason I don't find the coast down at south padre island humid at all. Nice breeze just blows it away I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2017, 02:58 PM

6,306 posts, read 5,042,575 times
I looked at real estate around the san Antonio area with their requirements of a 75K mobile and found some, but nothing with property. Just regular lot.

Old 10-14-2017, 03:01 PM

767 posts, read 1,845,553 times
Tennessee's highlands are not excessively hot/humid, 65 and over only pay income taxes on stock dividends and interest income from bonds and other investments, and property taxes appear reasonable. You get a true four seasons experience, with little ice and snow, and you get to enjoy some of the best scenery the southeast has to offer. Three acres with a mobile home at $75,000 is not out of of the question either in my opinion. Good luck.

Old 10-14-2017, 03:54 PM

533 posts, read 248,505 times
Lebanon, PA has a large VA hospital and PA does not tax retirement income. You might look in the surrounding areas.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:00 PM

102 posts, read 123,902 times
Please don't move to Nebraska. Property taxes, sales tax, estate taxes. Very high utilities. High grocery prices. High rents.
It's ok in Omaha and Lincoln, where the jobs are. But anything west of these cities, forget it. If you're retired like us, it will crush you.
Wish we could afford to get out.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:31 PM

970 posts, read 602,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod5591 View Post
My wife and I are planning to retire, on a budget, and we are looking for the state with:

1) No state income Tax
2) Lowest Sales Tax
3) Lowest Property Tax

Or the best combination of the three.

We plan to buy a few acres and raise chickens, maybe a goat or two, and have have a garden and try to live a quiet life, minding our own business. We would love to find a house/manufactured home in good condition and 3 acres for not more than $75K. My wife would like to locate near but not in a small city maybe 25K in population with a full service hospital. I am a veteran and would like to be withen 40 miles or so of a VA medical center or clinic.

We don't have strong preferences about weather except we do not want humid hot summers such as Florida or the Gulf Coast states.

The weather here is California where we live is great, but its way too expensive here and taxes keep going up, plus the state is going the wrong direction culture-wise, with all the liberals and the crooked politicians. We would live Oregon and/or Washington, but prices are high in those areas and the liberals are ruining those states as well.

Some states we have looked at are Arkansas and Tennessee, Wyoming, Utah.

Can anyone suggest any good low cost states to retire?

Also where can I get the information about sales tax rates, property tax rates, etc?

Thank you for any help and/or advice.
If you go to the Veterans United Network web site you will find a list containing each state and what Veteran property tax exemptions are for each which may help you narrow down your choices.

Thank you for your service and I wish you the best in finding the right retirement location that best meets all your needs.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:57 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,440,673 times
The Most Tax-Friendly States in the U.S.

The Kiplinger Tax Map: Guide to State Income Taxes, State Sales Taxes, Gas Taxes, Sin Taxes

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...xes/739338001/

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst...taxpayer/2416/

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tool.../INF23232.html

https://www.retirementliving.com/taxes-by-state

States With the Highest (and Lowest) Taxes for Retirees | Money

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...xes/100064034/

https://www.thebalance.com/best-and-...-taxes-3193328

https://www.thebalance.com/state-inc...-rates-3193320

Old 10-14-2017, 05:04 PM

8,388 posts, read 9,131,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod5591 View Post
My wife and I are planning to retire, on a budget, and we are looking for the state with:

1) No state income Tax
2) Lowest Sales Tax
3) Lowest Property Tax

Or the best combination of the three.

We plan to buy a few acres and raise chickens, maybe a goat or two, and have have a garden and try to live a quiet life, minding our own business. We would love to find a house/manufactured home in good condition and 3 acres for not more than $75K. My wife would like to locate near but not in a small city maybe 25K in population with a full service hospital. I am a veteran and would like to be withen 40 miles or so of a VA medical center or clinic.

We don't have strong preferences about weather except we do not want humid hot summers such as Florida or the Gulf Coast states.

The weather here is California where we live is great, but its way too expensive here and taxes keep going up, plus the state is going the wrong direction culture-wise, with all the liberals and the crooked politicians. We would live Oregon and/or Washington, but prices are high in those areas and the liberals are ruining those states as well.

Some states we have looked at are Arkansas and Tennessee, Wyoming, Utah.

Can anyone suggest any good low cost states to retire?

Also where can I get the information about sales tax rates, property tax rates, etc?

Thank you for any help and/or advice.
Another person looking for something that doesn’t exist. You don’t want humid, yet are looking at two humid states. You want to live in a spot near a full service hospital and buy a three acre lot with a home in good condition for $75000?

I think you need to be realistic. Utah and Wyoming with your requirements are not a whole lot less expensive than my part of CA. We have a nice hospital 25 minutes away and a local VA clinic.

Low taxes? As has been mentioned State and county gov’ment has to be funded somehow or you have crap for services. Low taxes and cheap housing only works if where you live is a place you like. We love living where we do and don’t mind paying taxes. Neither do our right wing friends. They understand you get what you pay for. As a side note, our part of CA is quite red.

Old 10-14-2017, 05:20 PM

497 posts, read 272,095 times
I can't think of anyplace that ticks all of the boxes on your list. Personally, since you are in CA, I would look at the general Sierra Vista, AZ area. Low humidity, mild winters, inexpensive homes on a couple of acres are available (water might be an issue). Sierra Vista has plenty of shopping, restaurants etc and should you need/want more Tucson is maybe an hour more or less away.

Otherwise, I would look at Kentucky, east TN, southern IN. They are fairly inexpensive with milder climates, although the summers will feel very humid until you adjust.

I grew up in north central PA. The summers are lovely but short.The area is beautiful, but the winters can be long and harsh. Just something to keep in mind.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:32 PM

75 posts, read 58,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I think you are confused.

I grew up in the Tidewater area of Virginia, and it was plenty humid and hot there, but bearable. I don't think I ever experienced unbearable humidity until I visited Houston TX in summer--never would I ever willingly move there! I hope Arkansas wouldn't be any worse than Virginia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement