U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 11:05 AM

3,745 posts, read 4,213,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
Don't know about the tax burdens overall but Pennsylvania is definitely not liberal. I disagree with a previous poster on that. Only certain urban areas are liberal. There are large chunks of rural area throughout central PA that are conservative. People have homes on 3 acres with chickens and horses and whatnot and raise vegetables and do quilting, church activities, etc. I know many people who are thinking of retiring to central PA. Harrisburg and Carlisle are very close. Harrisburg has an airport and you aren't too far from the Philadelphia airport. There are topnotch medical centers in Harrisburg and Hershey area. Carlisle has lots of shopping centers and some cultural events.
I strongly agree. My brother, a devout Christian, lives in one of the areas described above. He goes to Hershey Medical for the major stuff and to York for routine medical care. As noted, there is also a VA medical center nearby in Lebanon. Rural communities on the East Coast tend to run conservative. Since OP stated he grew up in the Tidewater are of VA, I think he knows that.

A did a quick search on Trulia and found this:
https://www.trulia.com/property/3274...sburg-PA-17019

Not a perfect match of course, but a more diligent search would probably reveal a few winners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 11:21 AM

10,604 posts, read 14,188,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Yep, that's the plan. Once Tennessee is taken over, Kentucky is next on the list and then maybe they will be heading out to Oklahoma or Kansas. You never know when they might be coming to your town. Resistance is futile!.
I know...because you've posted that before ...verbatim. That's how I found out.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Really? Turning this into a liberal bashing discussion? Taxes maybe higher in liberal areas, but they also have higher quality of living. You get what you pay for. Kansas conservative policies have destroyed the state economy, so conservative policies don't work out better.
I suggest you re-read the original post.

Also, MY post. I assume you aren't at ALL familiar with the description and terminology I used on housing or you would see that I presented a BALANCED suggestion.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 10-15-2017 at 11:36 AM..

Old 10-15-2017, 11:25 AM

194 posts, read 116,015 times
Re: Pennsylvania - is there a nice-sized town on the northeast side of PA that offers good shopping, small town activities (festivals, farmers market) and near a good medical center? My son lives in Liverpool NY and I would love to be within a couple of hours of him but would also love the low taxes of PA.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:30 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,008,103 times
remember that PA is very large. The western portions touch WV and OH and you should be able to find something affordable that matches your criteria in that tri state area that is near pittsburgh PA.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
Don't know about the tax burdens overall but Pennsylvania is definitely not liberal. I disagree with a previous poster on that. Only certain urban areas are liberal. There are large chunks of rural area throughout central PA that are conservative. People have homes on 3 acres with chickens and horses and whatnot and raise vegetables and do quilting, church activities, etc. I know many people who are thinking of retiring to central PA. Harrisburg and Carlisle are very close. Harrisburg has an airport and you aren't too far from the Philadelphia airport. There are topnotch medical centers in Harrisburg and Hershey area. Carlisle has lots of shopping centers and some cultural events.
I agree with you on PA. I'm from Philly (Bucks County) and worked in Pittsburgh for years and you'll never find nicer people than in Pittsburgh.

The access to top notch medical and dentistry is great. Not sure about the cost of living in the places you mentioned but it's easily researched.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:45 AM

408 posts, read 245,086 times
First, you should decide if you are looking for lowest cost of living, closest to a VA/Government hospital, or lowest taxes. These are three different things. If you are looking at this from an ideological bent (I don't want the dirty guvmint to get my money) then obviously taxes are the important thing. But since as a veteran you are dependent on taxpayer funded healthcare, make sure you don't shoot yourself in the foot. You might save 100 bucks a year in taxes but get a lot worse healthcare.

I live in Seattle, full of "tax and spend liberals". I've done tax comparisons and we actually have a lower tax burden than most of the "cheap" midwest and Texas. Things are a bit lower in the deep South, but you don't want humidity. So even though this place is run by liberals, I'm actually paying lower taxes than I would in a cheaper area of the country.

Look at the overall situation, don't just focus on taxes due to distaste for government. You don't want to cut off your nose to spite your face.

Old 10-15-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I suggest you re-read the original post.

Also, MY post. I assume you aren't at ALL familiar with the description and terminology I used on housing or you would see that I presented a BALANCED suggestion.
Oh wait. I just reviewed your posting history. Hilarious ironic criticism, thanks.

Old 10-15-2017, 12:23 PM
JRR

3,676 posts, read 2,222,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I know...because you've posted that before ...verbatim. That's how I found out.
I just like to remind you

Old 10-15-2017, 01:32 PM

30,670 posts, read 49,416,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod5591 View Post
My wife and I are planning to retire, on a budget, and we are looking for the state with:

1) No state income Tax
2) Lowest Sales Tax
3) Lowest Property Tax

Or the best combination of the three.
It is well worth the effort to spend a lot of time chewing over your options on this topic.

I am a military retiree, with a pension of $1480/month.

We bought two parcels of land in Maine. One for $350/acre the other for $900/acre. A total of 150 acres of forest with 1/4 mile of riverfrontage.

Property taxes on our land run $1.05/acre. 150 acres of forest cost us roughly $157.50/year.

Our house is 2400 sq ft, 3 bdrm and it is taxed $600/year.

Military pensions are not taxed in Maine. Besides even with our farm income, we do not earn enough taxable income to pay any income taxes, State or Federal.

Our region is very rural. We do a little organic farming and sell produce at a Farmer's Market.

About every week Zillow sends me updates on homes in our area on the market for $25k - $40k. Sometimes they will have a few acres.

Maine is the oldest state, with the highest percentage of retirees of any state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement