U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 03:12 PM

13,047 posts, read 10,426,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
A house on 3 acres for $75K, within 40 miles of a VA clinic and no hot humid summers and minimum taxes.

I doubt it exists.
Perhaps in Barnes & Noble. In the Fiction section.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2017, 03:14 PM

13,047 posts, read 10,426,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod5591 View Post
My wife and I are planning to retire, on a budget... We would love to find a house/manufactured home in good condition and 3 acres for not more than $75K. Thank you for any help and/or advice.
Do not retire. You do not have the financial resources to retire. Keep working.

Old 10-15-2017, 03:18 PM

3,410 posts, read 1,523,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post

LOL. You tell 'em, S & M! Because working is highly overrated!

Old 10-15-2017, 04:19 PM

194 posts, read 116,015 times
Excluding the no income tax requirement, you may be able to get most of the rest of it in the mid to northern lower peninsula of Michigan.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:17 PM

11,969 posts, read 5,102,113 times
If you're not going to retire with a good financial portfolio or wealthy, then it's all about compromise. I don't think that's earth shattering news, but some people have a hard time realizing that. I'm compromising so I can leave work at 62 and I'm more than happy to do that.
State income tax is a non factor if you don't have a lot of money coming in. Property taxes are a larger factor if you wish to buy a house and not rent on a fixed income. Rents go up, a house payment or a payed off house doesn't.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:23 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,190,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Yep, that's the plan. Once Tennessee is taken over, Kentucky is next on the list and then maybe they will be heading out to Oklahoma or Kansas. You never know when they might be coming to your town. Resistance is futile!.
The fear is real!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
How old are y'all and have y'all ever gardened or farmed or raised animals?

I've done all that and at my age (50s) am happy to give it all up. Why get into doing so much work?

But then I am always surprised when I run into another former older city person that has moved out here to the sticks. But they usually have plenty of pocket lettuce and build pretty nice houses and have all the latest and greatest.
Probably your age and have wanted it all my life. Can't stand the small lot I have 60x140 and closeness of neighbors and constant noise. Want to trade? I'm not planning on building a new house, would prefer older, so I'm sure what you have is fine.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:31 PM

30,670 posts, read 49,416,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I missed where Rod5591 said anything about his financial resources. He is simply trying to figure out how his retirement will work.

Retirement is scary when you have not made the leap yet. There are many posters here who would not be comfortable going into retirement even if they had 5X my cash flow.

What you think you would be comfortable with, will be entirely different from how much someone else will need.

After 16 years of retirement I am still learning.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:34 PM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
You are not going to find a house with a few acres for $75,000 in northeast Tennessee. You are in California. Sell out, and use your equity to buy a property in cash in another state at a normal budget.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:37 PM

30,670 posts, read 49,416,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
... Property taxes are a larger factor if you wish to buy a house and not rent on a fixed income. Rents go up, a house payment or a payed off house doesn't.
Property taxes have a wide variation.

When I first retired we had a small home on 0.24 acre of land with property taxes over $5,000.

We moved and now own a much larger house on 150 acres with property taxes less than $1,000/year.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:38 PM

982 posts, read 144,223 times
You're going to have to compromise somewhere (weather, taxes). The first state that comes to mind is New Hampshire. No income tax, no sales tax. Property taxes tend to be high but vary from town to town, property to property so check and compare. The overall tax burden is pretty comfortable, especially if you're not a drinker or a gambler or a smoker (the "sin" taxes are highest). I don't know if you can buy land with a house on it for $75,000, but I do think you could find some nice land that permits livestock and placement of a mobile home and buy the MH separately. I haven't been up there in almost 20 years, but I'm sure it's the same as ever - friendly people who mind their own business, beautiful landscapes, four distinct seasons, close to all kinds of things including VA and other really excellent medical care.

I would recommend the Upstate of South Carolina (Greenville, Spartanburg, Anderson, Oconee Counties) to you also because it ticks all your boxes except for the hot humid summers. It's not tax free but definitely tax friendly, especially for seniors. I've never been to Aiken, SC, but have also heard good things about it. It's close to Augusta GA and has a VA Medical Center there, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement