Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2017, 02:53 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times

Advertisements

Do you have to use the VA?

I can use it for everything - including dental, but I don't. The drive (45 miles) is too far for me. I can go 7 miles to a local doctor and hospital if needed.

I also don't want to be dependent on them.

I have relatives that refuse to use anything else. They don't mind the long waits and so far the treatment for them has been okay, but I would rather have other options so pay for other insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 03:42 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,649,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Altogether? I don't think so. No state income Tax, Lowest Sales Tax, Lowest Property Tax or the best combination of the three. It appears there are lots of options out there; he can tweak his requirements if needed.
I agree he has lots of options, but I think he needs
to begin with deciding which of his needs/desires
has priority.

I am in a similar search, and got soundly rebuffed
by the realities of the real estate market last month.

I am currently rearranging my priorities.

Old 10-17-2017, 07:49 PM

44 posts, read 77,489 times
Wherever you plan on going I would suggest renting for a while.

My wife is Thai and we traveled extensively around Thailand eventually deciding to retire there. We bought a 1/2 acre place on the ocean. I told my wife I wanted to wait to build. It was a good decision, after living here 3 years she wants to return to the states.

I have been researching, on line, many of the questions you asked, there is a wealth of information out there.

We narrowed it down to a few areas, our desires are different from yours so won't go into where. After our experience here we plan on buying a truck, and 5th wheel, traveling to each place, and spending a couple months in each to see if we like it.

Jump into a relatively unknown area and you could end up being unhappy, having to sell a home prolongs that.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:17 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
New Mexico.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:57 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,062 times
Indiana

Old 10-18-2017, 05:50 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,189,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I agree he has lots of options, but I think he needs
to begin with deciding which of his needs/desires
has priority.

I am in a similar search, and got soundly rebuffed
by the realities of the real estate market last month.

I am currently rearranging my priorities.
Ain't THAT the truth! That happened to use when we went on a 'find-our-retirement-dream-place' tour last January. Reality does have the nasty habit of stepping all over our plans...

Old 10-18-2017, 02:47 PM

93 posts, read 110,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It can be done. You need to do research and keep an open mind.
If I can find these houses, so can anyone else. You just have to spend some time looking. .
Thanks very much for the tip I'd never heard of Listhub before--I went to the site but wasn't able to register--looks like you need to be a real estate agent.

Old 10-18-2017, 04:47 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod5591 View Post
Thanks very much for the tip I'd never heard of Listhub before--I went to the site but wasn't able to register--looks like you need to be a real estate agent.
You don't need to be a real estate agent. Here's the same house listed on realtor.com. You can also look at Trulia, Zillow, Homes.com and Homefinder for homes. You have full access to the listings. I like looking at all of these because sometimes a house is listed in one but not another of these sites. Realtor.com does not show homes listed by owners for sale.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M32525-47260

You really need to spend one or two hours every day researching towns and states until you find matches that meet nearly all your requirements with some compromise.
Make it your part-time job to do this if you have to. There are sites that also tell you all about property taxes and other taxes for every state and county in the country. The average property tax in the county this home is located is about $500 a year. This house will be less than that.
Kentucky Property Taxes By County - 2017

This site tells you what the utility rates are in specific towns and cities. The electricity rate in this town is a probably about half of what you're paying now in CA.
https://www.electricitylocal.com/sta...cky/bardstown/

I'm planning on retiring like you are from CA to another state on a budget. I like KY and want to retire there. I've visited there a few times and have found the people overall very friendly and the state itself IMO is beautiful. The cost of living is low in most parts, much lower than CA. I want 4 seasons without extremes. KY has a state income tax but it's not an issue for me since my income won't be very high.

Good luck and I hope I've been helpful.

Last edited by marino760; 10-18-2017 at 05:12 PM..

Old 10-18-2017, 05:31 PM

93 posts, read 110,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Y KY has a state income tax but it's not an issue for me since my income won't be very high.

Good luck and I hope I've been helpful.
You have been, very much, and I thank you and the others,

What parts of Kentucky would you condsider? The only part flat and fertile is the Bluegrass section, which looks to be about 25% of the state--the rest is mountainous, which might be tough in winter.

I'll take a look at the Kentucky forum, but I was curious if you had narrowed your focus on any particular area or county?

Old 10-18-2017, 05:42 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Fwiw, I drove through the Blue Ridge Parkway in that area years ago - gorgeous, breathtaking country - but never again. I thought I'd lose my brakes going downhill - miles and miles of downhill after miles and miles of uphill. Finally figured out I needed to downshift to 1st or 2nd gear. Guess if you live there you know how to drive it, but I've since read of problems driving the mountains even when the driver is experienced. Certainly, as you said, you wouldn't want to do mountains in winter no matter which state you choose.

Plenty of horse-country which is flat, however. Kentucky is a pretty state. We've been to Lexington, the Horse Park. Very reasonable prices, as I recall, for everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement