Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 04:46 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Economics teaches us that there is no such thing as an economic need, only wants & desires....
Quote:
It is a want & desire. There is nothing necessary about it; if someone lacks shelter, the earth does not plummet into the sun. If someone lacks shelter, no laws of physics are broken.

Clearly, shelter is highly desireable -- but there is nothing necessary about it.
I think you need to retake Econ 101. Here, let me get you started with this extension course from U of IL:

https://web.extension.illinois.edu/m...edsVsWants.cfm

And for those who don't want to be bothered with clicking on a link, here is the pertinent language: "Each of us has some common things that we require or need to live.* These items are called needs.* Examples of basic needs include food, water, shelter.*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 05:43 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times
Quote:
Nope. Shelter is a want.
Gee, you must not have thunder storms, or snow storms, or cold weather or hail storms where you are. Without shelter, this earth can kill you. In rural areas, you also need to keep the animals and insects out.

Old 10-17-2017, 08:46 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Gee, you must not have thunder storms, or snow storms, or cold weather or hail storms where you are. Without shelter, this earth can kill you. In rural areas, you also need to keep the animals and insects out.
ABSOLUTELY! Thank you.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:41 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,081,897 times
Quote:
It is a want & desire. There is nothing necessary about it; if someone lacks shelter, the earth does not plummet into the sun. If someone lacks shelter, no laws of physics are broken.

Clearly, shelter is highly desireable -- but there is nothing necessary about it.
Well that is just silly. We are LONG past the cavemen days. Perhaps it is not necessary for species survival, that’s about it. “Look at the homeless person..they don’t NEED a place, they just want oneâ€.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:51 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna25 View Post
I notice that most of the posters expressing contentment with their large house in the suburbs are speaking in the plural. You are mostly part of a couple. A couple can be happy and properly maintain a large house together. My mom had friends, mostly widows, living alone in houses in her suburban neighborhood. Most of them could not keep them up and the house was deteriorating around them. There was a real lack of senior services in the area, no public transportation, hard to get around to shop, visit doctors, etc., most neighbors worked during the day so there were few people around. If there are two of you, you may enjoy the quiet and freedom, but one person rattling around in a large house can be terrified. So be aware that things change, and it might be kinder to your spouse to settle now into a place where he or she will be happy carrying on when you are gone. Your loss will be disruption enough.
Nope. I'm a widow.

It's pretty easy for me, I have a life time membership to Angies list. some thing breaks go to Angies list.

I love rattling around in my quiet house, now in the interest of public disclosure I'm a natural extrovert so my house is my refuge. It's where I go when I want quiet. My two sons 25 and 23 are planning on moving into an apartment early 2018. I can't wait, in fact as an incentive I'm throwing in the first and last month rent as a going away present. As I said before one of my greatest pleasures is waking up to the world on my deck while I have coffee. can't wait to be able to do it everyday.

I've been a widow for 4 years, lol I'm on a few dating sites. Had a companion for a while and made it very very clear. hummm no you will not be moving into my house EVER!! My oldest kid is a plumber (well finishing up his apprenticeship) so I do have a built in plumber.

My HOA dues covers lawn maintenance and snow removal. love it. well worth the 175.00 month .

I live in the city so I can't speak to the transportation issue. I will admit that I'm leary of contractors, I always think they up charge women.

Last edited by eliza61nyc; 10-18-2017 at 07:00 AM..

Old 10-18-2017, 08:47 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Sure, but anything beyond bare bones shelter is indeed a 'want', not a need. You 'need' a 350 square foot studio apartment for cheap money. You 'want' a 2,500 square foot single family home in the good neighborhood close to all the amenities.

This is the whole buy vs rent thing in personal finance. If you take the goal of dying with the biggest pile of money to the extreme, you'd rent a tiny studio apartment in a sketchy neighborhood and invest the difference in the market. Owning a nice house in a nice place is spending discretionary income to improve your quality of life. My definition if nice house and nice place is going to be different from yours. Neither is likely to be that tiny studio apartment in a sketchy place.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:05 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
I wonder if they will be subdivided and turned into duplexes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I think this is over reaction. Remember the younger generation is only now starting to recover from the recession 8 years ago. They are now beginning to start families which means that they are still not ready to move to the suburbs. They will when they realize that raising kids in tight urban areas is not easy. You can already see it happening in our area.

I laughed when I saw the comments made by the financial guy from Unionville Connecticut. We live in another affluent suburb of Hartford and a development of McMansions here is having no problem finding buyers. I think the problem his clients are facing is that the homes they are trying to sell are outdated and today's buyers tend to want an updated home. Hard to sell them on 35 year old decor these days but that was true 20 years ago too. Jay

Old 10-18-2017, 09:10 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
In the super expensive Boston suburbs, laws are being passed against tearing down perfectly good houses and replacing them with gigantic mcmansions that the greedy developers like to build.
Huh? Where is this? In all the good Boston inner suburbs, any 1960's ranch sold is torn down and replaced with a home more appropriate to the town. You still have to comply with setbacks and height restrictions but the house is typically 3x bigger and few of them are anything close to the rational definition of a McMansion. This has been going on since the 1980's when the inner suburbs ran out of developable land. I lived in Winchester up on the hill in the 1990's. There weren't many of the old 1960's ranches left in my neighborhood. They were all scraped off the lot and replaced with nice 4 bedroom homes. Anywhere with strained transportation infrastructure, you're going to see this in the towns with the good school systems that are walkable to public transportation.

I should have done it to the house I bought in 2009. It would have been way cheaper to scrape it off the lot and build a new house than remodel it.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:58 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
Default slight change from OP 2000 sq ft not the big one

As a single boomer retiree living in Central Florida I would love to sell my 2000 sq ft home.

Although smaller than the OP question, the spirit of the question applies. I worry that I will be able to sell this house at a price where I can feel comfortable given what I paid for it in the 2005/6 housing bubble and subsequent burst. We have still not recovered and I doubt we will.

Just a matter of how much am I willing to let it go for in order to move on. I do worry that I will be able to let myself list it for the price which would assure a sale of this suburban house. Listed prices just dropped again after the hurricane, but that is probably temporary.

Last edited by theoldnorthstate; 10-18-2017 at 11:20 AM..

Old 10-18-2017, 01:27 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
here is the pertinent language: "Each of us has some common things that we require or need to live.* These items are called needs.* Examples of basic needs include food, water, shelter.*
That sentence is structured as "you need X in order to Y." There is no economic requirement for Y. Y is a want not a need. Because Y is a want, so also is X a want. In the sentence above, a person WANTS to live. Because a person wants to live, so also they want food, water and shelter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement