U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 03:08 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,744,100 times

Advertisements

Did I have a life plan? Sort of. Since starting college I pretty much knew I wanted to go into teaching. (Prima facie evidence of insanity, perhaps?) Finally at age 27 I got married and got my first full-time "career" job as a high school teacher in a southern California public school district. (Why it took me forever to get started is another story).

Still didn't really have a "plan" - just the thought that I would probably stick with that. Indeed I did - stayed 34 years with the same school district. That amount of time, plus my age, equaled a livable pension, so here I am 12 years after retirement enjoying my life of severely reduced (but not entirely absent) time commitments. Financially, I have no complaints; in fact, the pension is quite adequate to have made it worth working all those years for peanuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 07:12 PM

8,204 posts, read 11,918,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I believe we tempt fate when we make specific plans or assumptions. I can just picture the gods up on Mount Olympus looking down and saying "Yeah right! Watch this!" lightning bolt.
Thanks for the smile tonight. I needed it.

Old 10-16-2017, 07:33 PM

215 posts, read 131,814 times
My husband and I had plans and dreams when we got married. Some of them have worked out, some not so much. I had some health problems early in our marriage, which set us back on our family and financial goals. Job losses in 2008 and then again in 2010 set us back financially and in some ways, we've never recovered from that. Lost income and lost savings are difficult to recoup when your income is permanently lowered.

The good side is that we lived well below our means, so even at our most dire financial stress points, we were not in danger of losing our home and our debt load was never unmanageable.

We are not doing badly for a couple in our age range. The mortgage was paid off several years ago, we have no other debts and we are able to do much of what we want to do. Thanks to a surprisingly large inheritance from my parents, we know that at some point we'll be able to fully retire, but that day will be later than if everything had gone according to how we had planned.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:16 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,669,408 times
Neither of us made long range plans or goals, before or after we married, other than nebulous ideas with no clear vision. Things come into focus only for short range plans.

We never said at 30, let's pay off our mortgage before 50. The urge for a bigger house was discarded in favor of living on one salary. Our house was paid off at age 48 because we were in a position to do it, no foresight was involved.

We signed up for our 401k's because that's what we were suppose to do, not having a clue to how much it would add up to eventually.

We started paying off our credit card balance every month when we were in our late forties since we no longer had a mortgage. We realized what a good move that was after the fact, not before.

I could give more examples, but it's all the same: keeping on a path that worked and if it didn't, changing directions. It wasn't by any grand design, but by happenstance in many cases.

Not being attached to a certain outcome has allowed us to take advantage of several opportunities since a plan has never been in the way.

Last edited by jean_ji; 10-16-2017 at 09:36 PM..

Old 10-16-2017, 09:46 PM

1,708 posts, read 754,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamRush View Post
As in , did you plan out how your life would go etc
No.

"Man plans.
God laughs."

Didn't want God laughing at me.

Old 10-16-2017, 10:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,601 posts, read 39,974,527 times
No plan. My parents made sure of that. (And after 30+ yrs of caregiving for them... the one that remains... still tweaks any of my 'foolish plans'.). Families... no choice, but 'families' last (go on) FOREVER!

So far I have survived. That is nothing short of a miracle.

Tomorrow.... it is not promised (so I've been told) I believe that.

When I look back, (from what I envisioned at any age...) I am WAY off the plan.

So far, so good ( much better than I could 'plan')

Old 10-17-2017, 03:22 PM

23,790 posts, read 8,268,851 times
No Plans to speak of. Took life as it came and got thru it so far at 79. No partner to think about plans but my own.

Old 10-17-2017, 03:50 PM

5,430 posts, read 3,452,633 times
No life plan, other than definitely attending college, obtaining university degrees, and a couple of masters degrees which gave me very marketable skills and a life-long career.

And even that had quite of bit of luck involved. Without the luck involved, I have no idea where I would have ended up and doing what.

Oh, and I always knew from a young age (teenager) that I never wanted to have children. So that was definitely a plan.

Old 10-17-2017, 05:23 PM

3,696 posts, read 1,872,421 times
I knew I would stick with working for the fed government. I knew that was my bread & butter. I will retire with 32 years of service, a decent (not extravagant) pension. That part worked out great.

Love life, not so much. Two deadbeat husbands, current one has age-related issues.

Son turned out great in spite of his horrible father.

All in all, it's been fine.

Old 10-17-2017, 09:49 PM

10,817 posts, read 8,067,156 times
No life plan that I can ever recall, until I retired. I was never one for making plans and setting goals. Nonetheless, things worked out well for me.

Then shortly after retiring, DH & I began talking about our retirement goals. We made plans and set timetables for meeting those goals.
5+ years later, we're well ahead of schedule in checking off items and meeting goals.

I think what caused me to suddenly become a planner and goal-setter was thinking about how few years I have left to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or