U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 10:28 PM

39,534 posts, read 47,711,196 times

Advertisements

Confucius say "best laid plans can go awry, no guarantees in life"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2017, 11:04 PM

24,992 posts, read 23,900,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Some years ago a popular expression was "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail".
I did take that to heart and did pursue certain goals which took years to achieve, but I did tick all of the boxes.
I wanted to graduate college and I did.
I wanted to get married and have kids and I did.
I wanted a pension when I retired so I worked for a company that provided long term security in a pension, as opposed to working where I could have made a better salary without a pension.
I wanted a house and got one and paid it off.
I wanted financial security when I retired and I got it.
I wanted to work in computers and I did.
I wanted to stay married and I did.

A good piece of advice I got in my 20's was that I could have anything I wanted in life but it would take much longer to get it (for me it turned out to be decades) than I wanted it too.

But what you don't want (or are not suited too) is as important as what you do want. I never wanted to be rich, or have status or social position. I saw those things as traps, limiting my freedom to be me, so I didn't pursue them. I never tried to get ahead at someone else's expense. I didn't let myself get pushed around either. You might say I did it my way.
I wanted to marry, and I did. I wanted a child, and I had one. I wanted to work at a job that I loved, or even liked, but that didn't happen. My husband had the job with the pension, but he died in his 50s, so that didn't happen either.

The best laid schemes o' mice an' men...

Old 10-18-2017, 06:14 AM

23,580 posts, read 17,553,447 times
Not really.

I always wanted to go to college and was cut out for it - I knew that much. I did go, but the economy really put the brakes on anything I wanted to do.

I had never planned to move to Iowa and Indiana of all places, but that was what was economically best at the time. Interesting experiences, and have gone further more than I could have here in my hometown alone.

Never expected to not be married by 31, or to have been single for the better part of two years now. At this point, I'm kind of hunkering down, saving money for the next year or so, and planning on being out of this area with a promotion and much better finances by the time I'm 33-35.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or