Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2017, 10:18 PM

1,040 posts, read 869,535 times

Advertisements

Bobby is not 65 [he is 58] but he is on ssdi for alzheimers and other health problems. I just recently discovered that he will be eligible for medicare in February because that is 2 years after they figure he was disabled by it.
Right now he has an insurance plan that is only a little over $400 a month, with a pretty big deductible. His meds come to about$100 out of pocket a month. And I think his premium will raise quite a bit in February.

So, medicare. It seems with plan A, B, D, medicare advantage, medigap, etc that he might do best staying on the insurance he is already on. His physical and mental condition will continue to decline. does medicare include home health care aid at all, because I am not very strong physically and I do not know if I can do it all as his dissease progresses. nursing home is not an option. He has an exit plan if that becomes the only option.

Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 10:39 PM

25,593 posts, read 56,378,230 times
What state are you in? Does he qualify for Medicaid? Consult your SHIP counselors. Find yours, here:

https://seniorsresourceguide.com/dir...National/SHIP/

Many under-65 who are on SSDI are also dual-eligibles - Medicare/Medicaid. Medicaid pays what Medicare doesn't. If he isn't eligible for Medicaid, there are Advantage plans at very low cost available for those under 65 to serve people like your husband. Sounds like he may be able to drop that private coverage in favor of either Medicaid or Advantage.

Talk to your state's SHIP people. Most people find them very helpful. In the back of mind, I think you're in California - in which case Medicare together with Medi-Cal should take care of most of his issues. Also, he may qualify for extra help w/meds, which means his copays may drop to about $3. If income is low enough, Medicaid also pays the Medicare Part B premium.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:17 AM

1,774 posts, read 1,185,544 times
vicky3vicky - I would probably look for Medicare advice in the "Insurance and Medicare" subsection, or maybe even have the Mods move it in there.

I have been reading these threads a lot, as my Hubby is about to sign up for Medicare too. Coincidentally, he also has Alzheimer's, but was just recently diagnosed and is just signing up as a typical 65-er. For him, the Medicare will become the primary insurance. We will decide whether to keep my employee retirement insurance as his secondary or choose an advantage plan, or the medicare supplement + drug plan. We happen to live in a large metro area where there are lots of choices. It is likely we will go with the supplement and drug plan, even though it costs a little more.

Another suggestion is to talk to people in an Alzheimer's Caretaker Support Group, either in person, or one of the groups online.

Good luck.

Old 10-17-2017, 10:33 AM

6,617 posts, read 7,298,180 times
As suggested contact SHINE for free help. I think each state has its own organization so do a search. This is Fl site SHINE - Home

Make sure if you do not go on Medicare you can go on it latter on without increased premiums.

Be careful with part A For those without medical problems they have to go on A at 65 but their is no cost. Might be you should go on A now even if you keep your own.

Try https://www.medicare.gov/ to evaluate plans in your area.

Old 10-17-2017, 12:19 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,923,316 times
Sorry to say, but an Alz patient with an exit plan will not be able to carry it out when he gets to the point of needing "memory care" full time, either in a nursing home, assisted living or similar facility. Not meaning to scare you, but if you haven't already, you should read up on Alzheimers. It is not physical help he will be needing (at least not until the end, which can be many years from now).

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement